Old 05-17-2008, 12:07 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default I hope Ubuntu could get more support for commercial software support

2008/5/17 yueyu lin <popeyelin@gmail.com>:
> Especially for a lot of development tools support. For an example, the
> embedded devices development such as mobile phones including
> symbian/j2me/RIM/iphone,etc.
> There's no problem on the server side development. When it comes to the
> device wide, it's difficult or impossible to develop. Since J2ME is
> so-called "cross-platform", there's no simulator or emulator for Linux.
> If Ubuntu can work with RIM/Apple/Nokia/Moto/LG to bring all development
> tools from Windows to Ubuntu, I believe a lot client side developers will
> choose Ubuntu.
> Personally, I'm using Ubuntu except when I have to develop and debug the
> devices. I really hope I could do everything in Ubuntu. I hope it would not
> be a very faraway future.

Did you write to RIM/Apple/Nokia/Moto/LG and tell them that you want
their devices to sync with KDEPIM/Evolution? Hoping is nice, but
letting them know is the only effective way to get what you need.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-17-2008, 12:17 AM
"yueyu lin"

It's not the right way to request as individuals. I've tried to write to Nokia and got no responses.
Ubuntu is a fast growing distro, it can have enough power and pressure to these companies. Especially for those company who wanna compete with Microsoft's Windows Mobile. One day developers can't get rid of windows, no one will beat Microsoft in device side since it's so easy and convenient to develop Windows mobile applications.

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/5/17 yueyu lin <popeyelin@gmail.com>:

> Especially for a lot of development tools support. For an example, the

> embedded devices development such as mobile phones including

> symbian/j2me/RIM/iphone,etc.

> There's no problem on the server side development. When it comes to the

> device wide, it's difficult or impossible to develop. Since J2ME is

> so-called "cross-platform", there's no simulator or emulator for Linux.

> If Ubuntu can work with RIM/Apple/Nokia/Moto/LG to bring all development

> tools from Windows to Ubuntu, I believe a lot client side developers will

> choose Ubuntu.

> Personally, I'm using Ubuntu except when I have to develop and debug the

> devices. I really hope I could do everything in Ubuntu. I hope it would not

> be a very faraway future.

Did you write to RIM/Apple/Nokia/Moto/LG and tell them that you want

their devices to sync with KDEPIM/Evolution? Hoping is nice, but

letting them know is the only effective way to get what you need.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com

http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:24 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Please do not top post.

> It's not the right way to request as individuals.

Yes, it is. Nokia will listen to their customers. Canonical is just a
company pushing it's own agenda. Individual Nokia customers must tell
Nokia what we want.

> I've tried to write to Nokia and got no responses.

Really? I've gotten responses from Nokia in the past. Try writing to
one of these addresses:
http://www.nokia.com/A4126576

> Ubuntu is a fast growing distro, it can have enough power and pressure to
> these companies.

Correct. You are that power.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-17-2008, 02:03 AM
NoOp

On 05/16/2008 06:24 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Please do not top post.
>
>> It's not the right way to request as individuals.
>
> Yes, it is. Nokia will listen to their customers. Canonical is just a
> company pushing it's own agenda. Individual Nokia customers must tell
> Nokia what we want.
>
>> I've tried to write to Nokia and got no responses.
>
> Really? I've gotten responses from Nokia in the past. Try writing to
> one of these addresses:
> http://www.nokia.com/A4126576
>
>> Ubuntu is a fast growing distro, it can have enough power and pressure to
>> these companies.
>
> Correct. You are that power.

Perhaps you folks are looking for Sounder?

Old 05-17-2008, 01:33 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/17 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> Perhaps you folks are looking for Sounder?

Thank you, I did not know about that.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il