Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Joseph

Default Can't Find a Supervisor

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 14:31:23 -0500
> Joseph <ubuntu@e-pops.org> wrote:
>
>> Robert Spanjaard wrote:
>>

>> Got them.... it's now installed. It was the double click. Thanks everyone for the various commands.... and correct
>> syntax for them. I'll have to start saving these, or find an "Ubuntu for Dummies" book.... Is there a command manual for
>> people like me who is not all that knowledgeable?
>>

> Yes. Type
> man <command>
> for information about that command.
> <command> --help
> Generally gives usage hints.
> There is, i do believe, a Ubuntu for Dummies book. There's certainly something similar. I've seen quite an explosion of Linux-newbie books in book shops, both online and in real life.
> This is also pretty good (IMO) at explaining some of the differences between Linux and Windows:
> http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
>

>> this is somewhat like dos...
>
> Only if you use the command shell. Most jobs can be done with an incredibly long stream of mouse clicks, too

Thanks you immensely.... THis is all good info. I'll have to look up that book.... and hopefully there will be one. <grin>

Joseph

Old 05-16-2008, 09:31 PM
NoOp

On 05/16/2008 11:43 AM, Joseph wrote:
> Steve T wrote:
>> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Joseph <ubuntu@e-pops.org> wrote
>>> However, I'm still not getting my avast to install. My command is:
>>>
>>> sudo dpkg apt-get install avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb
>>>
>> I think you should try:
>> sudo dpkg --configure -a
>> then
>> sudo apt-get install avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb
>>

> Good to a point. Here's my commands:
>
> ragweed@ragweed-den:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> [sudo] password for ragweed:
> Setting up ssl-cert (1.0.14-0ubuntu2.1) ...
>
> Setting up transmission-common (1.06-0ubuntu5) ...
> Setting up wine (0.9.59-0ubuntu5) ...
>
> Setting up transmission-gtk (1.06-0ubuntu5) ...
>
> Processing triggers for libc6 ...
> ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
> ragweed@ragweed-den:~$ sudo apt-get install avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb

I know that you've already gotten it installed, but for future reference
here is the command that you _should_ have used:

$ sudo dpkg -i avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb

Old 05-17-2008, 02:19 AM
Joseph

Noop wrote:
> I know that you've already gotten it installed, but for future reference
> here is the command that you _should_ have used:
>
> $ sudo dpkg -i avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb

Answered or not, I appreciate all the help I can get. I have one question.... What does the '-i' tell it to do?

Old 05-17-2008, 02:32 AM
NoOp

On 05/16/2008 07:19 PM, Joseph wrote:

> NoOp wrote:

> Noop wrote:
>> I know that you've already gotten it installed, but for future
>> reference here is the command that you _should_ have used:
>>
>> $ sudo dpkg -i avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb
>

> Answered or not, I appreciate all the help I can get. I have one
> question.... What does the '-i' tell it to do?

When you wish to install a debian package (*.deb) directly, you use dpkg
rather than 'apt-get install". The '-i' means install. So in this case
you are telling dpkg to install avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb. If you
open a terminal window and enter:

man dpkg

you will find information on the different options dpkg uses.

Also have a look at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware
[Using dpkg to install packages]
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

Old 05-17-2008, 02:42 AM
Joseph

NoOp wrote:
> On 05/16/2008 07:19 PM, Joseph wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>
>> Noop wrote:
>>> I know that you've already gotten it installed, but for future
>>> reference here is the command that you _should_ have used:
>>>
>>> $ sudo dpkg -i avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb
>>
>> Answered or not, I appreciate all the help I can get. I have one
>> question.... What does the '-i' tell it to do?
>>

> When you wish to install a debian package (*.deb) directly, you use dpkg
> rather than 'apt-get install". The '-i' means install. So in this case
> you are telling dpkg to install avast4workstation_1.0.8-2.deb. If you
> open a terminal window and enter:
>
> man dpkg
>
> you will find information on the different options dpkg uses.
>
> Also have a look at:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware
> [Using dpkg to install packages]
> http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

Thanks so much. This is the kind of information I'm looking for. You're very informative.

Joseph