Old 05-16-2008, 04:43 PM
"Phill MV"

Default Is NTFS resizing safe nowadays?

Hullo.
I have an extra Windows machine on which I'm running 'buntu inside vmware. It's acceptable, but a bit overkill as I plan to do lots of dev work inside of it.
Unfortunately, my company's corporate reimaging policy is... a bit tough, so I'd very much like to not kill the windows install.

From what I gather, this means Wubi, or shrinking the NTFS partition.
Wubi's attractive, but I don't want to put with unnecessary performance hits.

So, in a nutshell, is (defragging first and) resizing NTFS partitions safe nowadays?

Last time I looked into it was before I switched full time to Linux back in '03.

Thanks a lot, folks.
Phill

Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Rashkae

Phill MV wrote:
> Hullo.
> I have an extra Windows machine on which I'm running 'buntu inside vmware.
> It's acceptable, but a bit overkill as I plan to do lots of dev work inside
> of it.
> Unfortunately, my company's corporate reimaging policy is... a bit tough, so
> I'd very much like to not kill the windows install.
>
>>From what I gather, this means Wubi, or shrinking the NTFS partition.
> Wubi's attractive, but I don't want to put with unnecessary performance
> hits.
>
> So, in a nutshell, is (defragging first and) resizing NTFS partitions safe
> nowadays?
> Last time I looked into it was before I switched full time to Linux back in
> '03.

Define Safe? I would never manipulate partitions unless I was ready to
do a full recovery... The process isn't bugged or error prone, but an
inconveniently timed power outage or hardware failure can do much more
damage than usual.

You failed to mention what version of Windows you use. If it's Vista,
use Vista's partition resizing tools (Computer management GUI). This
isn't a suggestion, ntfs tools (last I checked, might be updated now)
does not support changes Vista made, but Vista can resize partitions any
which way live without any need for defraging.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:01 PM
"Phill MV"

Define Safe? *I would never manipulate partitions unless I was ready to

do a full recovery... The process isn't bugged or error prone, but an

inconveniently timed power outage or hardware failure can do much more

damage than usual.
Well, let's define safe to be, "barring freak accidents external to the software, if you follow the steps in the vast majority of cases it will work perfectly" :P. I just have no means to perform recovery, because getting it reimaged is a large hurdle.

I'm uneasy about just blowing it all away and leaving ubuntu 'cos there are lots of network quirks that might leave me without a working system either way.

You failed to mention what version of Windows you use. *If it's Vista,

use Vista's partition resizing tools (Computer management GUI). *This

isn't a suggestion, ntfs tools (last I checked, might be updated now)

does not support changes Vista made, but Vista can resize partitions any

which way live without any need for defraging.

Alas, I'm running XP.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Phill MV wrote:
> Hullo.
> I have an extra Windows machine on which I'm running 'buntu inside vmware.
> It's acceptable, but a bit overkill as I plan to do lots of dev work inside
> of it.
> Unfortunately, my company's corporate reimaging policy is... a bit tough, so
> I'd very much like to not kill the windows install.

Your company has a reimaging policy that's difficult to work with, but
they'd let you resize the partition?

Interesting. But at any rate, if it's an option, I'd try a variation on
what we often do here for imaging/resizing...

Download and burn RIP (Rescue-Is-Possible) Linux.
Mount a Windows share or use a USB drive of sufficient size...
and use Partimage to copy your system's partition to that storage area.

This creates a system-state backup.

Now to resize...
use the disk partition tool from RIP (think it's gparted? A graphical
utility...use the right click menu to find it). Click the partition and
select the tools to resize it.
Once resized you should be able to do what you want with the new space.
We haven't had issues with it here, but we didn't do it to resize an
additional, in-use system...we deploy images to batches of computers to
go out as workstations.

If something goes wrong, use partimage to restore your backup partition
image.

-Bart

Old 05-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Phill MV wrote:
>> Define Safe? I would never manipulate partitions unless I was ready to
>> do a full recovery... The process isn't bugged or error prone, but an
>> inconveniently timed power outage or hardware failure can do much more
>> damage than usual.
>

> Well, let's define safe to be, "barring freak accidents external to the
> software, if you follow the steps in the vast majority of cases it will work
> perfectly" :P. I just have no means to perform recovery, because getting it
> reimaged is a large hurdle.

Another option I didn't mention was to use the vmware converter tool to
convert your existing computer into a VMWare image. Then you can install
Ubuntu, install VMWare, and run your old computer as the vmware image
rather than Ubuntu.

If you do that, though, you should rename your Windows computer image so
it doesn't cause network issues...you would need to rename it and, if
you have a static IP set, change that when you test it. XP running an
image of itself in VMWare will probably cause hiccups in your network
connectivity when it goes schizophrenic and for once it isn't Windows'
fault.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 PM
David Vincent

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Phill MV wrote:

>>> Define Safe?* I would never manipulate partitions unless I
was ready to

>>> do a full recovery... The process isn't bugged or error
prone, but an

>>> inconveniently timed power outage or hardware failure can
do much more

>>> damage than usual.

>> Well, let's define safe to be, "barring freak accidents
external to the

>> software, if you follow the steps in the vast majority of
cases it will work

>> perfectly" :P. I just have no means to perform recovery,
because getting it

>> reimaged is a large hurdle.

> Another option I didn't mention was to use the vmware converter
tool to

> convert your existing computer into a VMWare image. Then you can
install

> Ubuntu, install VMWare, and run your old computer as the vmware
image

> rather than Ubuntu.

> If you do that, though, you should rename your Windows computer
image so

> it doesn't cause network issues...you would need to rename it and,
if

> you have a static IP set, change that when you test it. XP running
an

> image of itself in VMWare will probably cause hiccups in your
network

> connectivity when it goes schizophrenic and for once it isn't
Windows'

> fault.

no need to rename your machine or change fixed IPs unless you are going
to keep the other machine around for a while, you are going to run both
machines at once, and you are going to use bridged networking on the
VM.* also, converting to a VM does change your MAC so if there is a
DHCP reservation for that PC it might need to be updated to keep things
current.

- -d

Old 05-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Bart Silverstrim

David Vincent wrote:

> no need to rename your machine or change fixed IPs unless you are going to keep
> the other machine around for a while, you are going to run both machines at
> once, and you are going to use bridged networking on the VM. also, converting
> to a VM does change your MAC so if there is a DHCP reservation for that PC it
> might need to be updated to keep things current.

All true, I was referring to testing the resulting VM by running it
within his current working setup of VMware under Windows or another
machine somewhere on his network :-)

Old 05-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Xurxo Fernandez

2008-05-16 (金) の 13:07 -0400 に Bart Silverstrim さんは書きました:
> Phill MV wrote:
> >> Define Safe? I would never manipulate partitions unless I was ready to
> >> do a full recovery... The process isn't bugged or error prone, but an
> >> inconveniently timed power outage or hardware failure can do much more
> >> damage than usual.
> >

> > Well, let's define safe to be, "barring freak accidents external to the
> > software, if you follow the steps in the vast majority of cases it will work
> > perfectly" :P. I just have no means to perform recovery, because getting it
> > reimaged is a large hurdle.
I have resized NTFS partitions with gparted many times and I havent had
any trouble so far. Anyway they weren't work computers so I could take
chances with them. You could try resizing with windows partition magic
but I found gparted safer (PM killed my computer once but it was nearly
6 years ago).

Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Nils Kassube

David Vincent wrote:

In Thunderbird go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config
Editor. Change the entry for mail.html_compose to false. I know we have
seen readable mails from you not too long ago.

Nils

Old 05-16-2008, 09:27 PM
David Vincent

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> David Vincent wrote:

>> no need to rename your machine or change fixed IPs unless you
are going to keep

>> the other machine around for a while, you are going to run
both machines at

>> once, and you are going to use bridged networking on the VM.*
also, converting

>> to a VM does change your MAC so if there is a DHCP reservation
for that PC it

>> might need to be updated to keep things current.

> All true, I was referring to testing the resulting VM by running
it

> within his current working setup of VMware under Windows or
another

> machine somewhere on his network :-)

Ah!* We're both right!

- -d