Old 05-17-2008, 02:43 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

Default Is NTFS resizing safe nowadays?

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 13:01 -0400, Phill MV wrote:

> Define Safe? I would never manipulate partitions unless I was
> ready to
> do a full recovery... The process isn't bugged or error prone,
> but an
> inconveniently timed power outage or hardware failure can do
> much more
> damage than usual.
>
> Well, let's define safe to be, "barring freak accidents external to
> the software, if you follow the steps in the vast majority of cases it
> will work perfectly" :P. I just have no means to perform recovery,
> because getting it reimaged is a large hurdle.
>
> I'm uneasy about just blowing it all away and leaving ubuntu 'cos
> there are lots of network quirks that might leave me without a working
> system either way.
>

> You failed to mention what version of Windows you use. If
> it's Vista,
> use Vista's partition resizing tools (Computer management
> GUI). This
> isn't a suggestion, ntfs tools (last I checked, might be
> updated now)
> does not support changes Vista made, but Vista can resize
> partitions any
> which way live without any need for defraging.
>
> Alas, I'm running XP.

Hi Phill
Get GParted 0.3.6 LiveCD:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Choose LiveCD or your preferred solution how to use it & resize your
NTFS as you need ! :-)

I have done this quite many times on many systems and had absolutely NO
problems !! ;-))
It works very well in the case too that the NTFS partition may have "not
removable" data ...
... none of a few Partitioning Tools I know and own was able to overcome
this !!! ;-D

IMHO: a MUSThave !

Good luck and cheers, svobi