Old 05-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Gregory W Zill

Default Subject: Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04 LTS Upgrade Problem

I think I covered the GART issue, thanks to Mario. ATI seems to be the
working driver.

wrt GART, dmesg now says "[ 4257.182285] [drm] Setting GART location
based on new memory map"

But the regular GUI is still elusive. I am able to get into
failsafe-Gnome. I have run 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' over
and over until there is nothing left to upgrade. I am grepping logs all
over for what appears to be an xsession message when I try regular Gnome
- the dialog flashes right after authentication and then screen goes
black with a black 'x' for a cursor and no alternate session resaponds.
Basically, the laptop is rendered useless until I resolve this.

I appreciate any advice.