Old 05-16-2008, 12:44 AM
debian

Default from fedora to ubuntu

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 19:32 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> Hi;
> After many years on Fedora and Redhat, I am considering jumping ship.
> My immediate concern of course is how quickly I can get up to speed with ubuntu.
> Is there a document that details fundamental differences for folks
> coming from fedora?
> For example, can I use yum out of the box? More importantly is the
> location of key files and directories off /etc, etc. [pun intended].
>
> Thanks
> nat

Note(1): Ubuntu has 'yum' in the repository, but to get it, you need to
type:

sudo apt-get install yum

note(2): Ubuntu uses aptitude, which installs deb files from a
repository or a list of repositories found in /etc/apt/sources.list

i hope this is of some help.

--cj

Old 05-16-2008, 03:32 AM
"Nat Gross"

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 8:44 PM, debian <debiani386@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 19:32 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
>> Hi;
>> After many years on Fedora and Redhat, I am considering jumping ship.
>> My immediate concern of course is how quickly I can get up to speed with ubuntu.
>> Is there a document that details fundamental differences for folks
>> coming from fedora?
>> For example, can I use yum out of the box? More importantly is the
>> location of key files and directories off /etc, etc. [pun intended].
>>
>> Thanks
>> nat
>
> Note(1): Ubuntu has 'yum' in the repository, but to get it, you need to
> type:
>
> sudo apt-get install yum
>
> note(2): Ubuntu uses aptitude, which installs deb files from a
> repository or a list of repositories found in /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> i hope this is of some help.

Yes, it is.
Thank you much.
Nat

Old 05-16-2008, 04:11 AM
Kurt Wall

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux/RedHatEnterpriseLinuxAndFedora

> For example, can I use yum out of the box? More importantly is the
> location of key files and directories off /etc, etc. [pun intended].

Yes, but why would you want to? Apt and aptitude are superior to yum
and rpm in every way I can think of.

Kurt
--
Q: What's a WASP's idea of open-mindedness?
A: Dating a Canadian.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:00 AM
"Terrell Prudé Jr."

Nat Gross wrote:
> Hi;
> After many years on Fedora and Redhat, I am considering jumping ship.
> My immediate concern of course is how quickly I can get up to speed with ubuntu.
> Is there a document that details fundamental differences for folks
> coming from fedora?
> For example, can I use yum out of the box? More importantly is the
> location of key files and directories off /etc, etc. [pun intended].
>
> Thanks
> nat

You're in more luck than you might know, Nat. GNU/Linux is pretty much
GNU/Linux. You'll find APT to be, if you will, the "original version"
of yum. :-) I started with Red Hat way back, and now I use both
distributions and go back and forth between them seamlessly.

There are, naturally, some differences, but they're hardly
insurmountable. For example, the stuff that you know of in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts is now in /etc/network/interfaces. Also,
"yum update" or "yum upgrade" is replaced by the tag-team combo:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

It's actually quite easy if you're already used to the idea of yum.

Also, on Red Hat-type distros, general user accounts start at UID 500.
Most other distros start UID's at 1000, including Debian, Ubuntu, and
Slackware. Therefore, if you're keeping your home directory, just
remember to chown -R YourUserID:YourUserID /home/YourUserID.

And yes, the key files, etc. you know from /etc, are still in /etc,
/etc/ssh, /etc/samba, etc. :-)

Any other differences are pretty minor, and you'll sort them out with
little trouble. I did.

Hope this helps.

--TP

Old 05-16-2008, 07:27 AM
"Alan Milnes"

On 16/05/2008, "Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman@cmosnetworks.com> wrote:

> There are, naturally, some differences, but they're hardly
> insurmountable. For example, the stuff that you know of in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts is now in /etc/network/interfaces. Also,
> "yum update" or "yum upgrade" is replaced by the tag-team combo:

I'm doing the same migration and one thing I'm struggling with is how
Ubuntu handles start and stop scripts (the stuff you would put in
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d on Red Hat). Can anyone point me to a good reference
for it? I've googled and seen lots of stuff but no real good
explanation of what is going on.

Thanks

Alan

Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Karl Larsen

Nat Gross wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 8:44 PM, debian <debiani386@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 19:32 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
>>
>>> Hi;
>>> After many years on Fedora and Redhat, I am considering jumping ship.
>>> My immediate concern of course is how quickly I can get up to speed with ubuntu.
>>> Is there a document that details fundamental differences for folks
>>> coming from fedora?
>>> For example, can I use yum out of the box? More importantly is the
>>> location of key files and directories off /etc, etc. [pun intended].
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> nat
>>>
>> Note(1): Ubuntu has 'yum' in the repository, but to get it, you need to
>> type:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install yum
>>
>> note(2): Ubuntu uses aptitude, which installs deb files from a
>> repository or a list of repositories found in /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>> i hope this is of some help.
>>

> Yes, it is.
> Thank you much.
> Nat

I too went from Fedora to Ubuntu. It is a good move if you want
things to work. In Fedora your worried about the Red Hat server versions
that are making money for the company. Here your getting a Linux that is
actually EASY to install, and it works well.

And I never have found a use for yum on Ubuntu :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 PM
"Nat Gross"

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Kurt Wall <kwall@kurtwerks.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 07:32:48PM -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
>> Hi;
>> After many years on Fedora and Redhat, I am considering jumping ship.
>> My immediate concern of course is how quickly I can get up to speed with ubuntu.
>> Is there a document that details fundamental differences for folks
>> coming from fedora?
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux/RedHatEnterpriseLinuxAndFedora
Thanks for the useful link.

>> For example, can I use yum out of the box? More importantly is the
>> location of key files and directories off /etc, etc. [pun intended].
>
> Yes, but why would you want to? Apt and aptitude are superior to yum
> and rpm in every way I can think of.
With yum I have a fairly advanced setup, using a proxy server for all
clients on the lan.
Also, I need to get up and running quickly. So, I want to be able to
do things the old way, until I have time to absorb the learning curve.

By the way, I only used yum as an example. My key concern was command
line maintenance (or are the gui's that good?) of boot files, login
scripts, environment variables, java, etc.

TA
nat

Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM
"Nat Gross"

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 2:00 AM, "Terrell Prudé Jr."
<microman@cmosnetworks.com> wrote:
> Nat Gross wrote:
>> Hi;
>> After many years on Fedora and Redhat, I am considering jumping ship.
>> My immediate concern of course is how quickly I can get up to speed with ubuntu.
>> Is there a document that details fundamental differences for folks
>> coming from fedora?
>> For example, can I use yum out of the box? More importantly is the
>> location of key files and directories off /etc, etc. [pun intended].
>>
>> Thanks
>> nat
>>

> You're in more luck than you might know, Nat. GNU/Linux is pretty much
> GNU/Linux. You'll find APT to be, if you will, the "original version"
> of yum. :-) I started with Red Hat way back, and now I use both
> distributions and go back and forth between them seamlessly.
>
> There are, naturally, some differences, but they're hardly
> insurmountable. For example, the stuff that you know of in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts is now in /etc/network/interfaces.
Aye. This is the kind of stuff I was looking for.

> Also, on Red Hat-type distros, general user accounts start at UID 500.
> Most other distros start UID's at 1000, including Debian, Ubuntu, and
> Slackware. Therefore, if you're keeping your home directory, just
> remember to chown -R YourUserID:YourUserID /home/YourUserID.
Woa! This is important! My nfs servers have permissions based on UID's!
The same applies to groups, I guess.

> And yes, the key files, etc. you know from /etc, are still in /etc,
> /etc/ssh, /etc/samba, etc. :-)
>
> Any other differences are pretty minor, and you'll sort them out with
> little trouble. I did.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --TP

Thank you much.
nat

Old 05-16-2008, 03:09 PM
"Nat Gross"

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> Nat Gross wrote:

>>> Note(1): Ubuntu has 'yum' in the repository, but to get it, you need to
>>> type:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install yum
>>>
>>> note(2): Ubuntu uses aptitude, which installs deb files from a
>>> repository or a list of repositories found in /etc/apt/sources.list
>>>
>>> i hope this is of some help.
>>>

>> Yes, it is.
>> Thank you much.
>> Nat
>>

> I too went from Fedora to Ubuntu. It is a good move if you want
> things to work. In Fedora your worried about the Red Hat server versions
> that are making money for the company. Here your getting a Linux that is
> actually EASY to install, and it works well.
>
> And I never have found a use for yum on Ubuntu :-)
What about multimedia, mp3's and wmv. Works out of the box?
Also, the apt repos. Is there one huge repos that has all the stuff,
or do I need the various repos like livna, freshrpm's, and worry about
the conflicts?

nat

Old 05-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Matt Florido

* Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> [05-16-2008 05:44]:

> I too went from Fedora to Ubuntu. It is a good move if you want
> things to work. In Fedora your worried about the Red Hat server versions
> that are making money for the company. Here your getting a Linux that is
> actually EASY to install, and it works well.

I'm another Fedora to Ubuntu convert. I still have servers and a couple
test laptops running older versions of Fedora and often switch between
the two distros. I suppose each distro has their distinct nuances, but
it's a great learning experience. You always have the net and your
friend Google to search for answers. I haven't found any critical
issues with Ubuntu for my needs. Just a couple of challenges along the
way.

One nuance that I'm still getting accustomed to is the use of sudo to do
most root tasks in Ubuntu. I suppose it's a Debian thing. From a
security perspective, it's definitely beneficial, although I do find
myself su'ing to root once in a while.

Matt Florido