Old 05-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Rich Rudnick

Default Why so big?

steve wrote:

> Karl Larsen wrote:
> | I loaded this Ubuntu system with a Live CD which was close to 700
> | MBytes. It has been updated a lot and is the Gutsy version. I was just
> | checking and the hard drive has
> |
> | 6,796,024,000 Bytes now! It is getting bigger every day. I wonder if
> | it will end?
> |
> | Karl
> |

> If im not mistaken the base install size is in the vicinity of 2gb, your
> closer to 7. you install extra stuff, LAMP, KDE, etc?

You can get a pretty good idea of where your disk space is going with
baobab .

Old 05-16-2008, 12:42 AM
debian

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 20:11 -0400, steve wrote:

> Karl Larsen wrote:
> | I loaded this Ubuntu system with a Live CD which was close to 700
> | MBytes. It has been updated a lot and is the Gutsy version. I was just
> | checking and the hard drive has
> |
> | 6,796,024,000 Bytes now! It is getting bigger every day. I wonder if
> | it will end?
> |
> | Karl
> |

> If im not mistaken the base install size is in the vicinity of 2gb, your
> closer to 7. you install extra stuff, LAMP, KDE, etc?

if your like me, you tend to have gigs of files in your /home/[username]
file. You should go through and remove any files that you no longer use
(or atleast burn them to a disk before removing them, especially if you
are unsure if you will need them in the future)

--cj

Old 05-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Karl Larsen

steve wrote:

Nope

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Karl Larsen

debian wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 20:11 -0400, steve wrote:

>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> | I loaded this Ubuntu system with a Live CD which was close to 700
>> | MBytes. It has been updated a lot and is the Gutsy version. I was just
>> | checking and the hard drive has
>> |
>> | 6,796,024,000 Bytes now! It is getting bigger every day. I wonder if
>> | it will end?
>> |
>> | Karl
>> |

>> If im not mistaken the base install size is in the vicinity of 2gb, your
>> closer to 7. you install extra stuff, LAMP, KDE, etc?
>>

> if your like me, you tend to have gigs of files in your /home/[username]
> file. You should go through and remove any files that you no longer use
> (or atleast burn them to a disk before removing them, especially if you
> are unsure if you will need them in the future)
>
> --cj

Not so. My /home/karl/ is another partition with all that stuff.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-16-2008, 12:55 AM
steve

Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 AM
Kurt Wall

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 05:57:55PM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I loaded this Ubuntu system with a Live CD which was close to 700
> MBytes. It has been updated a lot and is the Gutsy version. I was just
> checking and the hard drive has
>
> 6,796,024,000 Bytes now! It is getting bigger every day. I wonder if
> it will end?

Not too long after you do "sudo apt-get clean".

Kurt
--
I'll burn my books.
-- Christopher Marlowe

Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 17:57 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I loaded this Ubuntu system with a Live CD which was close to 700
> MBytes. It has been updated a lot and is the Gutsy version. I was
> just
> checking and the hard drive has
>
> 6,796,024,000 Bytes now! It is getting bigger every day. I wonder
> if it will end?

Run ´╗┐Disk Usage Analyzer from menu Applications > Accessories. It will
show you what needs the space.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Karl Larsen

steve wrote:

I discovered this was right under my nose but never used. It is
located at Applications - Disk Usage Analyser. Now using it I am
confused by what it says. It says that my load of version 7.10 is very
wasteful of disk space. For example it says my system is 2.5 GB and very
poor disk usage.

But I used the old df and got this:

/dev/hda8 9187068 6795608 1924776 78% /

This I wrote as 6795608000 bytes, and it is 6.8 GB. It appears that df
is wrong.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Karl Larsen

Kurt Wall wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 05:57:55PM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I loaded this Ubuntu system with a Live CD which was close to 700
>> MBytes. It has been updated a lot and is the Gutsy version. I was just
>> checking and the hard drive has
>>
>> 6,796,024,000 Bytes now! It is getting bigger every day. I wonder if
>> it will end?
>>

> Not too long after you do "sudo apt-get clean".
>
> Kurt

I did the clean and it came down to:

/dev/hda8 9187068 6624816 2095568 76% /

and this is a small change. It dropped 2% so there is a disconnect
between what df reports and what Disk Usage application reports.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Chris

On Fri, 16 May 2008 05:38:19 -0600
Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> steve wrote:
> >

> I discovered this was right under my nose but never used. It is
> located at Applications - Disk Usage Analyser. Now using it I am
> confused by what it says. It says that my load of version 7.10 is
> very wasteful of disk space. For example it says my system is 2.5 GB
> and very poor disk usage.
>
> But I used the old df and got this:
>
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda8 9187068 6795608 1924776 78% /
>
> This I wrote as 6795608000 bytes, and it is 6.8 GB. It appears that
> df is wrong.
>

> Karl

I find that using df -h helps to remove errors in my readings

--
Best regards,

Chris

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"