Old 05-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Jeffrey Tooker

Default Screen Resolution Change Using GUI Not Working

I am trying to modify my screen resolution by GUI. I am in Gutsy,
updated to today. I go to System>Preferences>Screen Resolution. I go
through the three choices on the window and click apply. Nothing
happens to the resolution and the timer starts timing out to accept
previous resolution. I need to change the resolution of my monitor.
Small print is bad for old eyes. I have read the help linked to the
resolution window, it did not help. I went to the archive for this
month and found the screen resolution thread. I read through it I did
not find a solution that I understood. I am minimally fluent in CLI.
If the solution is in CLI (which I believe it will be) please highlight
the required commands so I can copy and paste into command line.

TIA

Jeffrey Tooker

Old 05-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Jeffrey Tooker

Jeffrey Tooker wrote:
> I am trying to modify my screen resolution by GUI. I am in Gutsy,
> updated to today. I go to System>Preferences>Screen Resolution. I go
> through the three choices on the window and click apply. Nothing
> happens to the resolution and the timer starts timing out to accept
> previous resolution. I need to change the resolution of my monitor.
> Small print is bad for old eyes. I have read the help linked to the
> resolution window, it did not help. I went to the archive for this
> month and found the screen resolution thread. I read through it I did
> not find a solution that I understood. I am minimally fluent in CLI.
> If the solution is in CLI (which I believe it will be) please highlight
> the required commands so I can copy and paste into command line.
>
> TIA
>
> Jeffrey Tooker

After further searching online I found:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FixVideoResolutionHowto

Under "Desktop Setting" I found the solution to my problem. After making
resolution changes, I had to reboot my system. I changed resolution when
I first loaded Gutsy and the resolution changed without rebooting my
computer. I have downloaded all the updates and at sometime the
resolution changed from the setting I made after first loading Gutsy to
default. Is there a reason for the reversion to default and having to
reboot the system for the change to become effective?

Jeffrey Tooker