Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Donald Raikes

Default hardy apt-file error

Hello,

I installed hardy last night, and in my excitement, I edited
the /etc/apt/sources.lst file because I cannot use the software sources
applet with orca.

Now when I try to run apt-file update, I get an error saying that
apt-file cannot read one of the repository files headers.

Is there somewhere I can get a default hardy /etc/apt/sources.lst file
to go back to ground 0?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 PM
NoOp

On 05/15/2008 01:55 PM, Donald Raikes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed hardy last night, and in my excitement, I edited
> the /etc/apt/sources.lst file because I cannot use the software sources
> applet with orca.

You should post which of the headers it can't read & also a copy of your
/etc/apt/sources.list (note that it is *not* sources.lst, but sources.list).

I'd also be curious to know why orca cannot use the software sources
applet - that sounds like a possible bug. Perhaps you just need to
configure? See:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Accessibility
http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-access-guide/stable/

However it looks as if Orca does have some problems with Hardy:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-orca/

Here is a copy of mine from a clean/new hardy install:

====
#
# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Beta i386 (20080318.1)]/ hardy
main restricted

# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Beta i386 (20080318.1)]/ hardy
main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main
restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository. This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is
## offered by Canonical and the respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu
## users.
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-security main restricted