Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Andrea Monaco

Default Python shell

How can I run Python shell on my Ubuntu 8.04?

Windows Live Mail Controlla i tuoi account di posta con un unico programma, GRATIS!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Schiz0

2008/5/15 Andrea Monaco <timothy94@hotmail.it>:
> How can I run Python shell on my Ubuntu 8.04?

You'd have to install the package containing the Python shell.

Here's a list of all python packages on Ubuntu 8.04:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=python&searchon=names&suite=hardy& section=all

My guess, is to install the first one, called "python":
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/python

Old 05-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Chris G

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 04:20:14PM -0400, Schiz0 wrote:
> 2008/5/15 Andrea Monaco <timothy94@hotmail.it>:
> > How can I run Python shell on my Ubuntu 8.04?
> >

> You'd have to install the package containing the Python shell.
>
> Here's a list of all python packages on Ubuntu 8.04:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=python&searchon=names&suite=hardy& section=all
>
> My guess, is to install the first one, called "python":
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/python

Yup, and then you just type 'python' at a command prompt and you're in
Python.

--
Chris Green

Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Pastor JW

On Thursday 15 May 2008 01:14:02 pm Andrea Monaco wrote:
> How can I run Python shell on my Ubuntu 8.04?

I don't know, ...Python crashes in 8.04 whenever I boot Gnome. I tend to
spend most of my time in KDE so have never tried to track it down. I should
however, as most of the time the reason I boot to Gnome is to show someone
that it does! It is a touch embarrassing when the crash is the first thing
they see.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Ulf Rompe

Am Donnerstag, den 15.05.2008, 22:00 +0100 schrieb Chris G:
> > My guess, is to install the first one, called "python":
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/python
> >
> Yup, and then you just type 'python' at a command prompt and you're in
> Python.

And if you think your interactive Python shell could be a bit more
comfortable, just install and run "ipython". You will never want to use
the standard Python shell again. Here's the package description:

Package: ipython
IPython can be used as a replacement for the standard Python shell,
or it can be used as a complete working environment for scientific
computing (like Matlab or Mathematica) when paired with the standard
Python scientific and numerical tools. It supports dynamic object
introspections, numbered input/output prompts, a macro system,
session logging, session restoring, complete system shell access,
verbose and colored traceback reports, auto-parentheses, auto-quoting,
and is embeddable in other Python programs.

[x] ulf

--
STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS.