Old 05-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Kipton Moravec

Default Change Server to Static IP without GUI

When I set up my server I set it up so it would get a dynamic address.

Now I want to change it to a static address. What file do I have to go
to to change it? I do not have a GUI, just command line. (I know how to
do it with the GUI, but the server does not have it.)

Anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks,
Kip
--
Kipton Moravec KE5NGX
"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Old 05-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Avi Greenbury

On Thu, 15 May 2008 09:33:51 -0500
Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:

> When I set up my server I set it up so it would get a dynamic address.
>
> Now I want to change it to a static address. What file do I have to go
> to to change it? I do not have a GUI, just command line. (I know how to
> do it with the GUI, but the server does not have it.)

/etc/networking/interfaces

You want something like (IIRC):

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.0.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.0.0.2

There is another paramater that you need, but I can't for the life of me remember it off the top of my head at the minute. A quick google for the above file wil tell you. DNS entries (can) go in there, too. Google for /etc/networking/interfaces and you'll more than likely get some better explanations.

--
Avi Greenbury

Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Schiz0

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:
> When I set up my server I set it up so it would get a dynamic address.
>
> Now I want to change it to a static address. What file do I have to go
> to to change it? I do not have a GUI, just command line. (I know how to
> do it with the GUI, but the server does not have it.)
>
> Anything I need to watch out for?
>
> Thanks,
> Kip

You'd want to change your /etc/network/interfaces file.

man 5 interfaces

Something like:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address x.x.x.x
netmask 255.255.255.192
network x.x.x.x
broadcast x.x.x.255
gateway x.x.x.x

Old 05-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Kipton Moravec wrote:

> When I set up my server I set it up so it would get a dynamic address.
>
> Now I want to change it to a static address. What file do I have to go
> to to change it? I do not have a GUI, just command line. (I know how to
> do it with the GUI, but the server does not have it.)

Edit
/etc/network/interfaces
accordingly.

> Anything I need to watch out for?

man 5 interfaces
explains things quite well and gives examples.

Regards
mks