Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Kevin O'Rorke

Default weird problem installing 8.04

I received my Official DVD's for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, and Kubuntu 8.04
Yesterday.
Neither will install (previous versions ok)
Ubuntu -- Select English -- select Install.
Activity indicator goes back and forth for some time, then the following
comes up.

Busybox V1:1.1.3 Ubuntu 12 built in shell (ash) enter 'help' for a list
of built in commands.
(initramfs):
There is nothing in the help list appertaining to install.

With Kubuntu the same but instead of the 'busybox' message a rapidly
scrolling message

unable to read page block 28d9e994 size eedf
also something else that I cannot read.

The motherboard is ASUS A8V with AMD 3000+ CPU and 1 Gb ram
I have done a memory test and nine passes zero errors
I repeat, previous versions install ok.

Any experts out there with an explanation for this and/or a fix.

Kevin O'Rorke

Old 05-15-2008, 03:15 PM
NoOp

On 05/13/2008 11:41 PM, Kevin O'Rorke wrote:
> I received my Official DVD's for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, and Kubuntu 8.04
> Yesterday.
> Neither will install (previous versions ok)
> Ubuntu -- Select English -- select Install.
> Activity indicator goes back and forth for some time, then the following
> comes up.
>
> Busybox V1:1.1.3 Ubuntu 12 built in shell (ash) enter 'help' for a list
> of built in commands.
> (initramfs):
> There is nothing in the help list appertaining to install.
>
> With Kubuntu the same but instead of the 'busybox' message a rapidly
> scrolling message
>
> unable to read page block 28d9e994 size eedf
> also something else that I cannot read.
>
> The motherboard is ASUS A8V with AMD 3000+ CPU and 1 Gb ram
> I have done a memory test and nine passes zero errors
> I repeat, previous versions install ok.
>
> Any experts out there with an explanation for this and/or a fix.
>
> Kevin O'Rorke

Others have reported that by adding:

all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll

or a combination thereof at boot (F6) works.

Ref:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765195&page=7

I'd try 'all_generic-ide' first. If that or a combination of those
resolve the issue, you might want to add to the bug(s). The fact that
this now seems to be a somewhat common occurance is disturbing.