Old 05-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Rashkae

Default The scrolling bar of doooooooooom

Steve Lamb wrote:
> How do I get more information out of Ubuntu's startup than the scrolling
> bar of doom? It's blue. It's pretty. It bounces back and forth. It
> tells me absolutely nothing about why my machine hangs on booting. It
> is precisely what is wrong with the boot process and why I railed
> against it in October of last year. *sigh* Unfortunately a check of
> that thread presents absolutely no information on how to get it to show
> me what it is hanging on. Though I am amused that the person I was
> debating was merrily telling me that it should present that information
> automatically if something goes wrong.

Pres ESC at the grub prompt to open the grub mene.

Press e to edit the boot options of the kernel you want to boot (default)

Change the boot options to remove anything that has to do with splash
and optionally frame-buffer. The only kernel options you should need
are the root device (ex: root=UUID=684c7396-a24b-495b-a59c-0ae17389e1e2
) and ro to mount the root device read only initially)

If you get the system to start, or if you boot from a rescue cd, you can
make this change permanent by editing the /boot/grug/menu.lst file.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:56 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
> How do I get more information out of Ubuntu's startup than the scrolling
> bar of doom? It's blue. It's pretty. It bounces back and forth. It
> tells me absolutely nothing about why my machine hangs on booting. It
> is precisely what is wrong with the boot process and why I railed
> against it in October of last year. *sigh* Unfortunately a check of
> that thread presents absolutely no information on how to get it to show
> me what it is hanging on. Though I am amused that the person I was
> debating was merrily telling me that it should present that information
> automatically if something goes wrong.

Edit the grub boot line and remove "quiet" and "splash".

Pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 during the graphical boot will probably also show
you what's hanging.

Chris

Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Phil Sexton

Steve Lamb wrote:
> How do I get more information out of Ubuntu's startup than the scrolling
> bar of doom? It's blue. It's pretty. It bounces back and forth. It
> tells me absolutely nothing about why my machine hangs on booting. It
> is precisely what is wrong with the boot process and why I railed
> against it in October of last year. *sigh* Unfortunately a check of
> that thread presents absolutely no information on how to get it to show
> me what it is hanging on. Though I am amused that the person I was
> debating was merrily telling me that it should present that information
> automatically if something goes wrong.

I edited my /boot/grub/menu.lst and removed "quiet splash" from the
kernel line.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 11:56 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
> Edit the grub boot line and remove "quiet" and "splash".

I simply press Ctrl+Alt+Fx (can't remember what x is, probably 1) during
boot.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:02 PM
"Steve Lamb"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 9:56 am, Chris Mohler wrote:
> Edit the grub boot line and remove "quiet" and "splash".

Thanks to you and Rashkae for pointing me to this. That was my new
thing learned today.

> Pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 during the graphical boot will probably also show
> you what's hanging.

Didn't much help. Removing quiet and splash helped immensely. It is
hanging on "Waiting for root volume"... I think that's the exact
wording. Tried replacing the UUID with a /dev and it still was hanging
there.

--
Steve Lamb

Old 05-14-2008, 11:14 PM
"Steve Lamb"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 4:02 pm, Steve Lamb wrote:
>> Pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 during the graphical boot will probably also show
>> you what's hanging.

> Didn't much help. Removing quiet and splash helped immensely. It is
> hanging on "Waiting for root volume"... I think that's the exact
> wording. Tried replacing the UUID with a /dev and it still was hanging
> there.

Google: "Waiting for root file system" ubuntu hardy

Drop the last two and tons of information on this going back to 2006.
Seems like a simple fix once I dig up a rescue CD and see what my
partition migrated to. Geez.

--
Steve Lamb

Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Steve Lamb

Steve Lamb wrote:
> Drop the last two and tons of information on this going back to 2006.
> Seems like a simple fix once I dig up a rescue CD and see what my
> partition migrated to. Geez.

I was wrong. Boot and wait for busybox to come up. /dev doesn't have
sda5 so no change of a sane fallback. So I dig around, find my rescue CDs,
boot into one, chroot over to my machine and pull up the UUID of sda5.
What'cha know, it's the same flippin' UUID as in all the boot options.
Chances are at this point I'll have a faster time torrenting 8.04, burning it
and reinstalling than fixing this.

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who decides what they dream?
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | And dream I do...

Old 05-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Derek Broughton

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 11:56 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
>> Edit the grub boot line and remove "quiet" and "splash".
>
> I simply press Ctrl+Alt+Fx (can't remember what x is, probably 1)

yes...

> during boot.

Well, that would be like removing "splash". Whether to remove "quiet" or
not would be a matter of taste - it adds a _lot_ of output to the tty.
--
derek

Old 05-20-2008, 04:37 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 22:19 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > I simply press Ctrl+Alt+Fx (can't remember what x is, probably 1)
>
> yes...

Actually, the really informative output is on F8 (basically same as a
traditional syvinit boot, or like booting with recovery option)

> > during boot.
>
> Well, that would be like removing "splash".

Yeah, but without mucking around in menu.lst and you can do it quick
during boot if there is a problem.