Old 05-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default Simple backup question made complicated

Quick question, if any of you know of a good solution I'd appreciate it.

I have a Linux workstation with 2 USB drives used for data storage.
I have a headless Windows workstation with the C$ shared out.
The windows system is being used for iTunes primarily.

Is there a way to mount the Windows system on the Ubuntu (Hardy)
workstation and back up the filesystem to the USB drives as a backup
solution? I was thinking of using a boot disc to periodically back it
up with partimage, but that would necessitate a monitor which the
Windows system doesn't have (primarily accessed using VNC).

I'd mainly want to keep from losing the iTunes information (purchases!)
if the hard drive dies on it. If there's a way to image the partition
without doing the booting from a disc, I could copy it to the Ubuntu
system's mounted USB drives...

Thanks,
-Bart

Old 05-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Rashkae

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Quick question, if any of you know of a good solution I'd appreciate it.
>
> I have a Linux workstation with 2 USB drives used for data storage.
> I have a headless Windows workstation with the C$ shared out.
> The windows system is being used for iTunes primarily.
>
> Is there a way to mount the Windows system on the Ubuntu (Hardy)
> workstation and back up the filesystem to the USB drives as a backup
> solution? I was thinking of using a boot disc to periodically back it
> up with partimage, but that would necessitate a monitor which the
> Windows system doesn't have (primarily accessed using VNC).
>
> I'd mainly want to keep from losing the iTunes information (purchases!)
> if the hard drive dies on it. If there's a way to image the partition
> without doing the booting from a disc, I could copy it to the Ubuntu
> system's mounted USB drives...
>
> Thanks,
> -Bart

Doing a periodic system backup is a good idea, because it will save you
time and aggravation. It is, however, entirely overkill to do a regular
system backup for the purpose of protecting your data.

iTunes, unlike most DRM systems, is very forgiving of restoring files to
a new system, so long as you don't plan on doing it more than 5 times a
year. (Note, of course, that the best data protection for your purposes
is to run your Itunes purchased music through a DRM stripper, I'll be
happy to provide one)

So long as you backup your Itunes folder, you can always restore it as
needed. I generally use 7z to update a 7z archive of data on Windows
system, then grab a copy of that 7z file to save as my backup.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Rashkae wrote:

> iTunes, unlike most DRM systems, is very forgiving of restoring files to
> a new system, so long as you don't plan on doing it more than 5 times a
> year. (Note, of course, that the best data protection for your purposes
> is to run your Itunes purchased music through a DRM stripper, I'll be
> happy to provide one)
>
> So long as you backup your Itunes folder, you can always restore it as
> needed. I generally use 7z to update a 7z archive of data on Windows
> system, then grab a copy of that 7z file to save as my backup.

If it isn't run through a DRM stripper and the folders are restored, it
will still work, but iTunes will verify the restored version up to 5
times a year...is that how it works? (I'm assuming it comes up with the
login to the iTunes store asking for your login to verify the information).

Do you happen to have a list of all the folders on Windows that iTunes
is using to store the podcasts, music, and configuration for iTunes, so
I don't overlook a folder? Ideally for restore I'd like to be able to
install a new hard disk, re-install Windows, re-install iTunes, and copy
over the iTunes data and have it work...

Then again I'd also like to back up all the data on my iPod Touch in
case I need to restore it, but I guess Windows doesn't have a compatible
calendaring program available :-(

-Bart