Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 AM
"Scott R. Ehrlich"

Default Ubuntu Gutsy and syslog -r?

I'm trying to get my Ubuntu Gutsy out-of-box install with current updates to
behave as a remote syslog server. I've edited the /etc/default/syslogd file to
include SYSLOGD="-r" and /etc/init.d/syslogd the same, restarted sysklogd and
networking, but no open port.

I rebooted, still nothing.

I installed syslog-ng, added the SYSLOGD="-r" to it, and no luck.

I just tried it on my Gutsy desktop updated to Hardy via apt-get dist-upgrade
and it works.

What am I missing? What else do I need to change in Gutsy? Or would it simply
be easier to upgrade the Gutsy system to Hardy?

Thanks.

Scott