Old 05-14-2008, 02:23 AM
"Rutger van Haasteren"

Default Power management - longer battery life

Hi list,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Ubuntu 8.04. How can I manage the battery life a bit more sophisticated than reducing the screen brightness?

On Gutsy I had a battery life of about 3.5 hours with dimmed screen. After a while this reduced to approx 2 hours, even though I am not aware of any notable changes in setup. I do not run desktop effects (set to 'none'), and I spend the whole day in vim and firefox. With Hardy I am also able to get only 2 hours with fully dimmed screen.

However, I still have the original copy of Windows Vista on the laptop, where I can get up to 3.5 hours if I reduce performance.

Can anyone point me in de right direction of how to improve this? TIA,

Rutger