Old 05-14-2008, 01:23 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

Default Virtualbox: expanding the size of a virtual disk

I've been reading through the documentation but can't seem to find
anything in there that lets me tell it grow a VDI from 8gb to 16gb to
24gb etc. Can I do such a thing? I don't want to create additional disks
or provide access to one of my raw disks just yet (that will come
later). I'm running the current VB 1.60 i386 32 bit version on Ubuntu 8.04.
NP: nothing

Old 05-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Chris G

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 06:23:16PM -0700, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> I've been reading through the documentation but can't seem to find
> anything in there that lets me tell it grow a VDI from 8gb to 16gb to
> 24gb etc. Can I do such a thing? I don't want to create additional disks
> or provide access to one of my raw disks just yet (that will come
> later). I'm running the current VB 1.60 i386 32 bit version on Ubuntu 8.04.

I've only just started using/trying VirtualBox but I'm pretty sure it
told me as I was installing it that it grows the virtual disk as
required, you don't have to tell it.

--
Chris Green

Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 PM
NoOp

On 05/13/2008 06:23 PM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> I've been reading through the documentation but can't seem to find
> anything in there that lets me tell it grow a VDI from 8gb to 16gb to
> 24gb etc. Can I do such a thing? I don't want to create additional disks
> or provide access to one of my raw disks just yet (that will come
> later). I'm running the current VB 1.60 i386 32 bit version on Ubuntu 8.04.

If you find the answer, please post back and advise. I've been trying to
figure out a way to do the same, but all I come up with is to create a
new VM then run a disk copy program to copy to the other VM.

Some suggestions here:

<http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=6401&view=previous&sid=3db3ea9874d f3961e3ca1521f428ceaa>

Old 05-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

NoOp wrote:
> On 05/13/2008 06:23 PM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>> I've been reading through the documentation but can't seem to find
>> anything in there that lets me tell it grow a VDI from 8gb to 16gb to
>> 24gb etc. Can I do such a thing? I don't want to create additional disks
>> or provide access to one of my raw disks just yet (that will come
>> later). I'm running the current VB 1.60 i386 32 bit version on Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> If you find the answer, please post back and advise. I've been trying to
> figure out a way to do the same, but all I come up with is to create a
> new VM then run a disk copy program to copy to the other VM.
>
> Some suggestions here:
>
> <http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=6401&view=previous&sid=3db3ea9874d f3961e3ca1521f428ceaa>

Damn windows! doesn't take much to fill up that 8gbs! So I'm going to
create a bigger virtual (I think 20gbs will hold all the Windows stuff I
need plus data) and copy everything over. It's all trial and error
right now, learning as I go, so I can't be too upset about it.
NP: Bourgeois Tagg "Yoyo"

Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 PM
NoOp

On 05/14/2008 02:01 PM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 05/13/2008 06:23 PM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>>> I've been reading through the documentation but can't seem to find
>>> anything in there that lets me tell it grow a VDI from 8gb to 16gb to
>>> 24gb etc. Can I do such a thing? I don't want to create additional disks
>>> or provide access to one of my raw disks just yet (that will come
>>> later). I'm running the current VB 1.60 i386 32 bit version on Ubuntu 8.04.
>>
>> If you find the answer, please post back and advise. I've been trying to
>> figure out a way to do the same, but all I come up with is to create a
>> new VM then run a disk copy program to copy to the other VM.
>>
>> Some suggestions here:
>>
>> <http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=6401&view=previous&sid=3db3ea9874d f3961e3ca1521f428ceaa>
>
> Damn windows! doesn't take much to fill up that 8gbs! So I'm going to
> create a bigger virtual (I think 20gbs will hold all the Windows stuff I
> need plus data) and copy everything over. It's all trial and error
> right now, learning as I go, so I can't be too upset about it.

You might want to hold of for awhile. I have a "disposable" Win2KPro
that I've been playing with that I initially set for 4GB expandable. It
was getting full, so I am just now trying the methods on page two of
that link:

====
klix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:15 am Post subject: Another
solution Reply with quote
1. create a new VDI image with the size you want
2. attach your new image as the slave
3. boot some linux live CD in your virtual machine
4. check /proc/paritions which drive is original and which is new (watch
the size Smile)
5. dd if=/dev/olddrive of=/dev/newdrive (in the most cases dd
if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb)
6. reboot
7. attach your new image as the primary master
8. boot the OS and use some software for resizing partitions (e.g.
parted in linux or partition magic in windows - if you use linux you
can't use parted on master partition, so you can use your live linux cd
Wink)
9. well done - tested on Windows XP guest and FC6 host and it works
perfectly

Klix

efffourthirty
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Klix,

I like your method and it worked great for me. I did the following to go
from 6GB to 10GB

1. Booted up using the SYSRECCD from http://www.sysresccd.org
2. I executed 'fdisk -l' to see both the partitioned 6GB drive (hda) and
the unpartitioned 10GB drive (hdb)
3. I executed 'dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb'. Both vdi files were about 5.4GB
4. I executed 'fdisk -l' which now showed hdb as a partitioned drive - cool
5. I started gparted and both partitions looked good. I could have
resized it then but decided to test it first by making the 10GB drive
the primary and dropping the 6GB drive then starting windows -
everything was good
6. Booted up to SYSRESCD again and this time used gparted to resize the
first parttion to use the full 10GB disk - size on disk unchanged at 5.4GB
7. Booted up to windows again and as expected it ran a disk check and
everything was perfect - windows sees 10GB and the vdi will grow as needed
====

Given that there isn't anything really of value on it that I can't
easily restore, I'm trying the above to move it to a 6GB. You might want
to wait awhile and see if/how I screw up mine first before messing with
yours :-)

Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

NoOp wrote:
> [...]
> 4. I executed 'fdisk -l' which now showed hdb as a partitioned drive - cool
> 5. I started gparted and both partitions looked good. I could have
> resized it then but decided to test it first by making the 10GB drive
> the primary and dropping the 6GB drive then starting windows -
> everything was good
> 6. Booted up to SYSRESCD again and this time used gparted to resize the
> first parttion to use the full 10GB disk - size on disk unchanged at 5.4GB
> 7. Booted up to windows again and as expected it ran a disk check and
> everything was perfect - windows sees 10GB and the vdi will grow as needed
> ====
>
> Given that there isn't anything really of value on it that I can't
> easily restore, I'm trying the above to move it to a 6GB. You might want
> to wait awhile and see if/how I screw up mine first before messing with

Screw away...I'll wait awhile and get some documentation done for a
customer.
NP: Jack Johnson "Sleep Through The Static"

Old 05-15-2008, 12:22 AM
NoOp

On 05/14/2008 03:52 PM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
[snip]

>> Given that there isn't anything really of value on it that I can't
>> easily restore, I'm trying the above to move it to a 6GB. You might want
>> to wait awhile and see if/how I screw up mine first before messing with
>> yours :-)
>
> Screw away...I'll wait awhile and get some documentation done for a
> customer.

OK, it worked! I now have the 4GB Win2KP running on the 6GB :-) After
follwing the steps, I booted Knoppix (using the VM to boot it), ran
gparted and expanded the drive to 6GB, restarted the VM & booted into
Win2KP. Windows did it's chkdsk thing & popped right in. Now, for the
final test: removing the old 4GB machine so that VB only sees the new
machine. More later :-)

Old 05-15-2008, 12:36 AM
NoOp

On 05/14/2008 05:22 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/14/2008 03:52 PM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
> [snip]
>>>
>>> Given that there isn't anything really of value on it that I can't
>>> easily restore, I'm trying the above to move it to a 6GB. You might want
>>> to wait awhile and see if/how I screw up mine first before messing with
>>> yours :-)
>>
>> Screw away...I'll wait awhile and get some documentation done for a
>> customer.
>
> OK, it worked! I now have the 4GB Win2KP running on the 6GB :-) After
> follwing the steps, I booted Knoppix (using the VM to boot it), ran
> gparted and expanded the drive to 6GB, restarted the VM & booted into
> Win2KP. Windows did it's chkdsk thing & popped right in. Now, for the
> final test: removing the old 4GB machine so that VB only sees the new
> machine. More later :-)

Done. Unregistered the old VM in VB and deleted the old 4.1GB vdi in
/home/<username>/.VirtualBox/VDI

Old 05-15-2008, 02:13 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

NoOp wrote:
> On 05/14/2008 05:22 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 05/14/2008 03:52 PM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>>> NoOp wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Screw away...I'll wait awhile and get some documentation done for a
>>> customer.
>> OK, it worked! I now have the 4GB Win2KP running on the 6GB :-) After
>> follwing the steps, I booted Knoppix (using the VM to boot it), ran
>> gparted and expanded the drive to 6GB, restarted the VM & booted into
>> Win2KP. Windows did it's chkdsk thing & popped right in. Now, for the
>> final test: removing the old 4GB machine so that VB only sees the new
>> machine. More later :-)
>>

> Done. Unregistered the old VM in VB and deleted the old 4.1GB vdi in
> /home/<username>/.VirtualBox/VDI

Super. I'll give that a whirel on Thursday. Thanks.
NP: Mike Dickson "Honfleur" (the music of Eric Satie, adapted)