Old 05-14-2008, 12:43 AM
"Gunawan"

Default Compile Mono

Dear All,
It is not difficult to use ubuntu or installling application.
But It will be rather tricky if we need to compile from the source.
Can someone help me how to compile and what dependent package need to
compile mono 1.9.0

Regards,
Gun

Old 05-14-2008, 04:35 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 07:43 +0700, Gunawan wrote:
> It is not difficult to use ubuntu or installling application.
> But It will be rather tricky if we need to compile from the source.
> Can someone help me how to compile and what dependent package need to
> compile mono 1.9.0

I don't understand - why _do you need to compile mono yourself?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:56 AM
"Jonathan Gunawan"

because mono that comes with hardy is 1.2.6 and latest mono is 1.9.1
and I can't find deb file on packages.ubuntu.com

Old 05-14-2008, 03:18 PM
"Tommy Trussell"

On 5/14/08, Jonathan Gunawan <jgun98.milis@gmail.com> wrote:
> because mono that comes with hardy is 1.2.6 and latest mono is 1.9.1
> and I can't find deb file on packages.ubuntu.com

go to http://www.mono-project.com/ and you will see that Debian
packages are available as "unsupported" downloads, NOT standard Debian
repositories. So apparently the 1.9.x versions of Mono have not made
it into Debian, which is where all Ubuntu Universe packages come from.

But the good news is you can work with the unsupported Debian packages
and help other developers get any Debian dependency issues resolved.
Then the latest Mono will be available to Ubuntu in time for the
following release!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:44 PM
"Tommy Trussell"

On 5/14/08, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Mario Vukelic
> > <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't understand - why _do you need to compile mono yourself?
>

> On 5/14/08, Jonathan Gunawan <jgun98.milis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > because mono that comes with hardy is 1.2.6 and latest mono is 1.9.1
> > and I can't find deb file on packages.ubuntu.com
>

> go to http://www.mono-project.com/ and you will see that Debian
> packages are available as "unsupported" downloads, NOT standard Debian
> repositories. So apparently the 1.9.x versions of Mono have not made
> it into Debian, which is where all Ubuntu Universe packages come from.

UPDATE -- I replied too fast. The 1.9.1 packages ARE in Debian
Testing. You might be able to help get them into whatever version of
Ubuntu you want to run by filing a Backports request.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Chris Jones

Jonathan Gunawan wrote:
> because mono that comes with hardy is 1.2.6 and latest mono is 1.9.1
> and I can't find deb file on packages.ubuntu.com

Mono is an abomination. Just don't use it at all

Chris

Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
NoOp

On 05/13/2008 11:56 PM, Jonathan Gunawan wrote:
> because mono that comes with hardy is 1.2.6 and latest mono is 1.9.1
> and I can't find deb file on packages.ubuntu.com

Google, even from Indonesia should work...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mono+1.9.1
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bmono+1.9.1

http://www.mono-project.com/Other_Downloads
http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.mono.devel/27554
<http://tempvariable.blogspot.com/2008/04/installing-mono-191-on-ubuntu-804-hardy.html>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mono/+bug/225426
http://packages.debian.org/source/lenny/mono

I've no idea if any of the above will work (I don't use mono), but you
should at least make _some_ effort at using Google and other sources
before asking here.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 16:58 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> Mono is an abomination. Just don't use it at all

That's FUD, plain and simple. Mono makes a great development
environment, and you don't have to use the Windows.Forms and similar
stuff. The Mono apps in Ubuntu all use the gtk# bindings, they aren't
slow, and they work.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Bob McConnell

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 16:58 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
>> Mono is an abomination. Just don't use it at all
>
> That's FUD, plain and simple. Mono makes a great development
> environment, and you don't have to use the Windows.Forms and similar
> stuff. The Mono apps in Ubuntu all use the gtk# bindings, they aren't
> slow, and they work.

It introduces patented Microsoft tools and processes into Linux and will
make it possible for Ballmer and Co. to shut down all Linux development.
Don't accept that compromise if you want your system to remain free.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 05-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Marc

Mario Vukelic schreef:
> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 16:58 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> Mono is an abomination. Just don't use it at all
>>

> That's FUD, plain and simple. Mono makes a great development
> environment, and you don't have to use the Windows.Forms and similar
> stuff. The Mono apps in Ubuntu all use the gtk# bindings, they aren't
> slow, and they work.

It's the abstraction layer that makes mono work now and within 10 years,
just like a small C program from 1973 still does on unix/linux.

Abstraction can make things slower, but choose which programmer's
depression you wanna get... redeveloping all your stuff when some firm
that wants from you ... If you wanna be called "stupid" every 5 years
or so, because some guy decided to introduce new concepts or a newer
programming language, that didn't add much new, because we eg all had
our own sources and made a software castle.

Marc

Shortwave transmissions in English, Francais, Nederlands, Deutsch, Suid-Afrikaans, Chinese, Dansk, Urdu, Cantonese, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese, ...
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/swlist/ Updated every month or so ....