Old 05-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Phil Sexton

Default Upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 problem (solved)

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 14:09 -0400, Phil Sexton wrote:
>> Hi listees,
>>
>> I have read the upgrade pages and guides I found at
>> <http://www.ubuntu.com/> and the update manager reports that I need
>> more space in /boot, which puzzles me. I can't imagine why /boot is
>> used rather than the root partition, /.
>
> Probably because it will have to install a new kernel in /boot

It installed several kernels, I was expecting only one.

>> I have a separate /boot partition and df -h reports (for the
>> relevant partitions):
>> /dev/sda3 9.2G 5.9G 2.9G 68% /
>> /dev/sda1 74M 34M 36M 49% /boot
>
> 74 M _is rather tight

I had 5 kernels installed and that was using just over half of /boot

> I guess you should be fine if prior to upgrading you uninstall all
> kernels except the one you are running.

That gave me plenty of room to upgrade, I am posting using Ubuntu 8.04.

I misread the amount of room needed and had assumed that the update
was intending to download the new packages to /boot rather than /tmp.

Everything is working so far except for the nVidia driver for my
card. It goes wonky if I try to change the background, so I had to
revert to the open source driver, nv. Google Earth won't run
without the driver, but if I mess around with the nVidia drivers, I
will start another thread.

Thanks for the help.