Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 PM

Default moving a drive from one box to another

Greetings,

For about a year one of my boxes was set up as a dual boot with Ubuntu
6.10 and Win2K.* About a week ago the power supply died and it
took the motherboard with it.* After replacing the motherboard and
power supply I had Win2K booting, but I had warnings about drivers
being missing.* I started adding drivers and in typical M$ fashion
the box now gives me a blue screen of death with a statement that I
don't yet have all my drivers installed.* Blue screen means I
can't install drivers so I am stuck.

I had all my really important files backed up, but there are files on
the drive I would like to recover.* Other than recovering these
files I would love to wipe the drive clean and set it up with Ubuntu
7.x and a clean install of Win2K.* Can I move the drive to another
Ubuntu box and mount the NTFS and EXT3 partitions?* It sounds
possible, but I hate to try it without knowing that it will work and
getting some advice on how to do it.* I don't want to boot from
this drive, just recover files from it.* I believe the drive is
still good since the Ubuntu boots (no GUI yet due to new motherboard
and different video chips) and the Win2K booted several times.

Will this work?* Any advice?* What would be common mistakes when doing this and how can I avoid them?

Thanks,

Bruce

Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 PM
"Raymundo M. Vega"

Yes it should work fine, run (as root) fdisk -l to check
which partition is ntfs and which is ext2/ext3.

raymundo

Old 11-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Tom Bamford

usabdasc@aol.com wrote:
I had all my
really important files backed up, but there are files on
the drive I would like to recover.* Other than recovering these
files I would love to wipe the drive clean and set it up with Ubuntu
7.x and a clean install of Win2K.* Can I move the drive to another
Ubuntu box and mount the NTFS and EXT3 partitions?* It sounds
possible, but I hate to try it without knowing that it will work and
getting some advice on how to do it.* I don't want to boot from
this drive, just recover files from it.* I believe the drive is
still good since the Ubuntu boots (no GUI yet due to new motherboard
and different video chips) and the Win2K booted several times.

Will this work?* Any advice?* What would be common mistakes when doing
this and how can I avoid them?

Thanks,

Bruce

You should be able to mount the NTFS and the ext3 partitions on another
machine. The drive will hopefully be mounted in a subdirectory of
/media for you, but if it isn't issuing a straightforward mount command
as root will work for both filesystems. If you suspect the second
machine has no NTFS support check that the ntfs-3g package is
installed. If you're concerned about accidentally causing damage to
your files or
filesystems you can pass the -r option when mounting to mount them
read-only.

I would watch out if the Windows machine died and left the NTFS
filesystem in a mounted state. NTFS has some sort of journalling system
that needs to be cleanly unmounted to preserve data integrity. If this
is the case then the machine may refuse to mount it, or maybe pass you
an option to force it.

Hope this helps,

Tom