Old 05-13-2008, 07:21 PM
David Abrahams

Default /etc/default/acpi-support still supported?

Hi,

I'm trying to sort out workarounds for suspend/resume problems, and I
need someone to explain the relationship between the old /etc/acpi/*.d/
stuff and /etc/pm/*.d

Clearly /etc/pm/*.d is effective now, but I don't see anywhere that
/etc/acpi/*.d would get invoked. In particular,

* I wonder about DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH in /etc/default/acpi-support.
Does that have an effect on resume?

* If /etc/acpi/*.d is still effective, I also would like to know the
ordering relationship between the two systems. Do scripts in
/etc/pm/sleep.d/ get called before or after those in
/etc/acpi/suspend.d?

Thanks in advance,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 13.05.2008, 15:21 -0400 schrieb David Abrahams:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to sort out workarounds for suspend/resume problems, and I
> need someone to explain the relationship between the old /etc/acpi/*.d/
> stuff and /etc/pm/*.d
as stated in other threads already, the acpi-support scripts are
obsolete, use /etc/pm/*

ciao
oli

Old 05-20-2008, 01:03 AM
Derek Broughton

Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 13.05.2008, 15:21 -0400 schrieb David Abrahams:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to sort out workarounds for suspend/resume problems, and I
>> need someone to explain the relationship between the old /etc/acpi/*.d/
>> stuff and /etc/pm/*.d
> as stated in other threads already, the acpi-support scripts are
> obsolete, use /etc/pm/*

That wasn't very helpful.

I, too, rely on /etc/acpi/ and have made a number of mods over the years.
So the question remains, _what_ is the relationship between the /etc/pm/*
scripts and acpi-support. iirc, you yourself said that acpi-support was
_deprecated_ (that is NOT the same as obsolete) and for the meantime being
invoked from pm. If that's true, how is it happening?
--
derek

Old 05-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Xurxo Fernandez

2008-05-19 (月) の 22:03 -0300 に Derek Broughton さんは書きました:
> Oliver Grawert wrote:
>
> > hi,
> > Am Dienstag, den 13.05.2008, 15:21 -0400 schrieb David Abrahams:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to sort out workarounds for suspend/resume problems, and I
> >> need someone to explain the relationship between the old /etc/acpi/*.d/
> >> stuff and /etc/pm/*.d
> > as stated in other threads already, the acpi-support scripts are
> > obsolete, use /etc/pm/*
>
> That wasn't very helpful.
>
> I, too, rely on /etc/acpi/ and have made a number of mods over the years.
> So the question remains, _what_ is the relationship between the /etc/pm/*
> scripts and acpi-support. iirc, you yourself said that acpi-support was
> _deprecated_ (that is NOT the same as obsolete) and for the meantime being
> invoked from pm. If that's true, how is it happening?
> --
> derek

AFAIK pm has its own scripts (try pm-suspend from the terminal).
I also found this:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pm-utils#Restarting_the_mouse
"On some laptops the mouse will hang after an otherwise successful
suspend. One way to remedy this is to force a reinit of the PS/2 driver
(here i8042) through a hook in /etc/pm/hooks"

#!/bin/sh
echo -n "i8042" > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/i8042/unbind
echo -n "i8042" > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/i8042/bind

I tried it but it didn't work for me so I'm gonna reinstall Gutsy and hope that this bug would be solved by 8.10.
BTW I tried placing the scripts in /etc/pm/hooks, power.d, sleep.d and even hooks.d and keyboard still fails to resume sometimes.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Derek Broughton

Xurxo Fernandez wrote:

> 2008-05-19 (月) の 22:03 -0300 に Derek Broughton さんは書きました:
>> Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>
>> > hi,

>> > as stated in other threads already, the acpi-support scripts are
>> > obsolete, use /etc/pm/*
>>
>> That wasn't very helpful.
>>
>> I, too, rely on /etc/acpi/ and have made a number of mods over the years.
>> So the question remains, _what_ is the relationship between the /etc/pm/*
>> scripts and acpi-support. iirc, you yourself said that acpi-support was
>> _deprecated_ (that is NOT the same as obsolete) and for the meantime
>> being
>> invoked from pm. If that's true, how is it happening?
>>
> AFAIK pm has its own scripts (try pm-suspend from the terminal).

otoh, I haven't changed anything, and my acpi-support configuration is
definitely being used, so the prior statement that the acpi scripts are
being invoked via pm in some sort of compatibility mode seem true. I would
just like some idea of how to migrate them before they really are obsolete
--
derek