-   -   Upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/87198-upgrade-7-10-8-04-problem.html)

Mario Vukelic 05-13-2008 06:35 PM

Upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 problem

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 14:09 -0400, Phil Sexton wrote:
> Hi listees,
>
> I have read the upgrade pages and guides I found at
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/> and the update manager reports that I need
> more space in /boot, which puzzles me. I can't imagine why /boot is
> used rather than the root partition, /.

Probably because it will have to install a new kernel in /boot

> I have a separate /boot partition and df -h reports (for the
> relevant partitions):
> /dev/sda3 9.2G 5.9G 2.9G 68% /
> /dev/sda1 74M 34M 36M 49% /boot

74 M _is rather tight

> Does anyone know how to use / rather than /boot for the upgrade?

I guess you should be fine if prior to upgrading you uninstall all
kernels except the one you are running.

Nils Kassube 05-13-2008 06:49 PM

Phil Sexton wrote:
> I have read the upgrade pages and guides I found at
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/> and the update manager reports that I need
> more space in /boot, which puzzles me. I can't imagine why /boot is
> used rather than the root partition, /.

I suppose, /boot is only needed for the new kernel.

> I have a separate /boot partition and df -h reports (for the
> relevant partitions):
> /dev/sda3 9.2G 5.9G 2.9G 68% /
> /dev/sda1 74M 34M 36M 49% /boot

Free space 36M in /boot is probably not enough.

> Does anyone know how to use / rather than /boot for the upgrade?

I would copy the contents of /boot to a new directory, umount the /boot
partition and move the contents of the new directory to /boot. That would
be something like this (untested):

sudo cp -a /boot /boot.tmp
sudo umount /boot
sudo mv /boot.tmp/* /boot
sudo rmdir /boot.tmp

And don't forget to remove the entry for /boot from your /etc/fstab.

Nils