Old 05-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Phil Sexton

Default Upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 problem

Hi listees,

I have read the upgrade pages and guides I found at
<http://www.ubuntu.com/> and the update manager reports that I need
more space in /boot, which puzzles me. I can't imagine why /boot is
used rather than the root partition, /.

I have a separate /boot partition and df -h reports (for the
relevant partitions):
/dev/sda3 9.2G 5.9G 2.9G 68% /
/dev/sda1 74M 34M 36M 49% /boot

Does anyone know how to use / rather than /boot for the upgrade?

I do have the installation CD for 8.04 and a separate /home
partition, so I could do a complete re-install if I have to, but
remembering all the programs I need/want is a PITA, so I had rather
try the upgrade.