Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Patton Echols

Default Another ffmpeg (version?) question

I was using dvd-slideshow to make . . . a slideshow. It uses ffmpeg, but
failed to code the audio stream. I was able to make it work by usingnthe
-mp2 option, but apparently that isn't compatibble with all dvd players.

found this in the ffmpeg man page:

. . . Furthermore, the audio stream is MP3-encoded so
you need to enable LAME support by passing "--enable-mp3lame" to con‐
figure. . . .

Not sure what this means. Is there a configure file somewhere? Or is
this talking about when compiled?

When running ffmpeg the following info is given:

~$ ffmpeg -formats | grep mp3
FFmpeg version SVN-rUNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-swscaler
--enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libogg
--enable-libgsm --enable-dc1394 --disable-debug --enable-shared
--prefix=/usr
libavutil version: 1d.49.3.0
libavcodec version: 1d.51.38.0
libavformat version: 1d.51.10.0
built on Jun 3 2007 20:59:25, gcc: 4.1.3 20070528 (prerelease) (Ubuntu
4.1.2-9ubuntu2)

I don't see "--enable-mp3lame" with the other enables.

If this is a compile thing, is there another version that has been
compiled with mp3 support in the repos? or must I do it myself?

If anyone knows or can tell me how to figure it out I'd appreciate it..

Patton

Old 05-14-2008, 01:38 PM
"Owen Townend"

[snip]
> . . . Furthermore, the audio stream is MP3-encoded so
> you need to enable LAME support by passing "--enable-mp3lame" to con‐
> figure. . . .
>
> Not sure what this means. Is there a configure file somewhere? Or is
> this talking about when compiled?
[snip]
> If this is a compile thing, is there another version that has been
> compiled with mp3 support in the repos? or must I do it myself?
>
> If anyone knows or can tell me how to figure it out I'd appreciate it..
>
> Patton

Hey,
This is a compile it yourself type situation. The instructions and
steps are quite simple though it may take some time to compile.
There's a guide at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ffmpeg to help you through.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Patton Echols

On 05/14/2008 06:38 AM, Owen Townend wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> . . . Furthermore, the audio stream is MP3-encoded so
>> you need to enable LAME support by passing "--enable-mp3lame" to con‐
>> figure. . . .
>>
>> Not sure what this means. Is there a configure file somewhere? Or is
>> this talking about when compiled?
>>
> [snip]
>
>> If this is a compile thing, is there another version that has been
>> compiled with mp3 support in the repos? or must I do it myself?
>>
>> If anyone knows or can tell me how to figure it out I'd appreciate it..
>>
>> Patton
>>

> Hey,
> This is a compile it yourself type situation. The instructions and
> steps are quite simple though it may take some time to compile.
> There's a guide at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ffmpeg to help you through.
>
> cheers,
> Owen.

Ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:47 PM
NoOp

On 05/13/2008 08:45 AM, Patton Echols wrote:
> I was using dvd-slideshow to make . . . a slideshow. It uses ffmpeg, but
> failed to code the audio stream. I was able to make it work by usingnthe
> -mp2 option, but apparently that isn't compatibble with all dvd players.
>
> found this in the ffmpeg man page:
>
> . . . Furthermore, the audio stream is MP3-encoded so
> you need to enable LAME support by passing "--enable-mp3lame" to con‐
> figure. . . .

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ffmpeg

That has instructions on how to build & install. It will include
libmp3lame. However, why don't you just install ffmpeg from the
medibuntu repositories? That already has it libmp3lame in the package.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Patton Echols

On 05/14/2008 08:47 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/13/2008 08:45 AM, Patton Echols wrote:
>
>> I was using dvd-slideshow to make . . . a slideshow. It uses ffmpeg, but
>> failed to code the audio stream. I was able to make it work by usingnthe
>> -mp2 option, but apparently that isn't compatibble with all dvd players.
>>
>> found this in the ffmpeg man page:
>>
>> . . . Furthermore, the audio stream is MP3-encoded so
>> you need to enable LAME support by passing "--enable-mp3lame" to con‐
>> figure. . . .
>>

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ffmpeg
>
> That has instructions on how to build & install. It will include
> libmp3lame. However, why don't you just install ffmpeg from the
> medibuntu repositories? That already has it libmp3lame in the package.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Ok, that would be easier, I see how to add medibuntu to my repo list,
but how do I get it to prefer that version of ffmpeg to the standard
ubuntu version? Given my druthers, I'd like to not have to fiddle with
it every time there is an update, security patch or whatnot.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:48 PM
NoOp

On 05/14/2008 11:06 AM, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 05/14/2008 08:47 AM, NoOp wrote:

>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

> Ok, that would be easier, I see how to add medibuntu to my repo list,
> but how do I get it to prefer that version of ffmpeg to the standard
> ubuntu version? Given my druthers, I'd like to not have to fiddle with
> it every time there is an update, security patch or whatnot.

Uninstall the Ubuntu ffmpeg, add the medibuntu repos, then reinstall
ffmpeg. In Synaptic you'll find the ffmpeg package & when you click on
it, it will show you "multimedia player, server and encoder - Medibuntu
package".

Packages installed from the medibuntu repo will be updated when changes
come out just as packages in Universe & other packages get updated.