Old 05-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Jimmy Stewpot

Default IBM 3850 M2 and Ubuntu Hardy

Hello,

I have recently been trying to get Hardy working on an IBM 3850 M2
server. In each case it locks up during the kernel boot process. I have
tried pretty much every kernel boot append option that would normally
assist in getting past the boot process with no luck
(apic/noapic/noacpi/pci options/irc routing options etc).

Each time it boots it always bombs at this section

[ 10.058737] PCI: Using configuration type 1

The system is a 2 x Quad Core XEON system. Does anyone have any ideas or
solutions on trying to install Hardy (i386 or x64) on this platform?

Regards,

Jimmy

Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Jimmy Stewpot

Jimmy Stewpot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently been trying to get Hardy working on an IBM 3850 M2
> server. In each case it locks up during the kernel boot process. I have
> tried pretty much every kernel boot append option that would normally
> assist in getting past the boot process with no luck
> (apic/noapic/noacpi/pci options/irc routing options etc).
>
> Each time it boots it always bombs at this section
>
> [ 10.058737] PCI: Using configuration type 1
>
> The system is a 2 x Quad Core XEON system. Does anyone have any ideas or
> solutions on trying to install Hardy (i386 or x64) on this platform?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jimmy

To resolve this issue Ive done the following maxcpus=1 in the kernel
append line. That allows the system to get through the install. Once the
system is installed the system appears to boot and run fine without any
problems.