Old 05-13-2008, 11:21 AM
mike

Default more than one distro

Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM
"Phil Bieber"

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:21 PM, mike <mike@mga.demon.co.uk> wrote:
<--snip-->

> I missed the advanced button on the seventh step which reinstalled grub.
> So that's two reasons for thumbs down for Ubuntu. Therefore, anyone
> installing Ubuntu on a system with another existing distribution, ensure
> that you press the advanced button on the seventh step and select not to
> install a boot loader.
<--snip-->
Hi Mike!
I'm dual booting and have always installed the boot loader into the
MBR. I haven't had problems with that. Also, on my Dell notebook, the
recovery, media, and utility (advanced BIOS/diagnosing partition)
partitions were all correctly identified and were present in the boot
loader.
Also, you can check the UUIDs on your local machine (even from a live
cd!) by issuing the following command
ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/
or the respective mounted directory when using a live cd.

Your first problem might be related to the PATA and SATA hdds in your
PC, I allways had either PATA or SATA. But blaming those UUIDs isn't
the answer. I've repartitioned myself and only had to edit the entry
for my swap space.

Cheerio

Phil Bieber
--
Avoid rape - say yes!

Warnings from the manual for Layer Express v2 (an AutoCAD extension):
Written on Page 12 (Blank page separating Ch. 1 & 2):
To reduce the risk of shock,
Do not remove the cover of this book.
No serviceable components inside.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber@gmail.com

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber Work): 0x3E43576A
FINGERPRINT: F043 92A1 2A2C 5256 52A9 DECB A39F B04C 3E43 576A
Philipp Bieber - philipp.bieber@gundlach.de

Old 05-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Karl Larsen

mike wrote:

Please read what you wrote again. First you wrote that the BIOS is
the problem and I think that is correct at least in my case. The MS's
made to support both IDE and SATA hard drives do a poor job of things.

Then you wrote that Ubuntu is bad. I really think that is stupid
since the operating system doesn't set which hard drive is first. This
IS a BIOS function. I have exactly the problem your talking about and
you must look at what the system looks like with neither hard drive
active. I do that from a liveCD and that is what grub works with.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Rashkae

mike wrote:
> Ubuntu Hardy does not observe the bios settings on machines with IDE and
> SATA drives. Difficulties occur if the SATA disk is set as the primary
> active bootable disk. Ubuntu Hardy puts the IDE as /dev/sda and the SATA
> as /dev/sdb. When you boot the machine having gone through the 7 steps
> of the install process. If they are booted according to the bios
> configuration problems occur. Because the order of the drives are
> different to that of the installation environment.
>

> The problem is that Ubuntu and Fedora are using the UUID definitions
> in /etc/fstab. Which make it very difficult to trace where the problems
> are to be found. The Ubuntu forums talk of a utility called vol_id buts
> that's not any use when you need some kind of rescue disk to regain
> access to the machine and drives. The fix is to use blkid, see man blkid
> for details. Without any arguments blkid will print to stdout volume
> ID's on the system. Which can be cross referenced with the /etc/fstab.
> It might also be necessary to reinstall grub but not from the Ubuntu CD
> because of this drive organisation problem.
>

> The subject of UUID can be found on the Fedora and Ubuntu forums. Many
> contributors have complained about the ugliness of these 32 bit codes as
> partition identifiers. Any resizing or reorganisation of partitions will
> cause users problems if their distribution uses UUID as the partition
> identifiers.
>

> I missed the advanced button on the seventh step which reinstalled grub.
> So that's two reasons for thumbs down for Ubuntu. Therefore, anyone
> installing Ubuntu on a system with another existing distribution, ensure
> that you press the advanced button on the seventh step and select not to
> install a boot loader.

I'm really not understanding the problem here....

Linux kernel and Bios playing musical Hard drive device name is exactly
why UUID system is used. and because Ubuntu uses UUID, the seemingly
random changes to device name should have no effect on Ubuntu whatsoever!

The only thing to keep in mind is to always install grub on the same
drive as your /boot is located. If you have two boots on two drives,
for a safety, install grub on each drive, then you can switch boot drive
from the BIOS boot menu if needed in a pinch.