Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 PM
"Dani Matielo"

Default Files recovered to older versions after reboot: help needed

Dear all,

I use Ubuntu and was working on a file in OpenOffice and the system crashed. I managed to save the files I was working, and then re-started the system, but then all the changes I have saved to the file in the last two days are gone!

The file is still there, but in an older version. I have searched the system to try to find other versions, but it seems they don't exist. And I am 100% sure that I was saving it while I was working.

I am not an advanced user, though, mostly I try to solve the problems I find searching foruns and pages on Internet, but I haven't find any information about these in the last 3 hours of intense research and I have to deliver this report tomorrow and am a little desperate.

So, any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you!

Dani
--
Daniela de Carvalho Matielo
dacamat@gmail.com | dde_carvalho@uoc.edu | dani@futuro.usp.br

www.dacamat.com.br

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say an uncommon-place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles." ~ Jack Kerouac

Old 05-12-2008, 07:21 PM
NoOp

On 05/12/2008 11:08 AM, Dani Matielo wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I use Ubuntu and was working on a file in OpenOffice and the system crashed.
> I managed to save the files I was working, and then re-started the system,
> but then all the changes I have saved to the file in the last two days are
> gone!
>
> The file is still there, but in an older version. I have searched the system
> to try to find other versions, but it seems they don't exist. And I am 100%
> sure that I was saving it while I was working.
>
> I am not an advanced user, though, mostly I try to solve the problems I find
> searching foruns and pages on Internet, but I haven't find any information
> about these in the last 3 hours of intense research and I have to deliver
> this report tomorrow and am a little desperate.

Your work is most likely gone. The reason being is that the default
Temporary files path is your tmp directory. When it crashed & you saved
your work, it most likely was saved to /tmp. When you rebooted, the
system cleared the tmp folder on start up & hence your work. You _may_
get lucky and still find it there, but I doubt it.

Have a look in /tmp. Also (see #1 below) check your Paths to see where
your 'Backups' path is. You may find that the files are in
/home/<user>/openoffice.org2/user/backup if you had #2 below set.

This has been an ongoing problem with OOo for as long as I can remember.
To avoid this happening in the future:

1. From within OOo: Tools|Options|OpenOffice.org|Paths|Temporary files -
select "Edit" and change the path to something other than /tmp. I
generally make a folder in my ~/.openoffice.org directory or my
Documents directory specifically for this very reason.

2. Set "Always create backup copy": Tools|Options|Load/Save|General

Good luck.

BTW: This will can occur with MS Office & Windows - so it's not just an
OOo/Ubuntu thing.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:02 PM
"Dani Matielo"

Thank you very much for the help and the tips, which are already configured, even though I wasn't able to find my file yet.

But maybe I have't explained mysefl clearly: I had saved the document just before the crash, and then, for some reason, after rerstarting, the version that was there was the one from two days ago. It looks like the system has done a Recovery and turned into the way it was two days ago. Is this possible?

Best,

Dani

Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Rashkae

Dani Matielo wrote:
> Thank you very much for the help and the tips, which are already configured,
> even though I wasn't able to find my file yet.
>
> But maybe I have't explained mysefl clearly: I had saved the document just
> before the crash, and then, for some reason, after rerstarting, the version
> that was there was the one from two days ago. It looks like the system has
> done a Recovery and turned into the way it was two days ago. Is this
> possible?

Not... really, to my knowledge at least.

How was the document saved (click the save button on toolbar?)

Can you describe the crash in more detail? How often had you been
saving this document over the past several days?

The only way I can think of to 'recover' a file from 2 days ago is if
Open office starts, tells you there's a file to recover, which opens
from the temp folder, and then you *save*, which would overwrite your
good file with the one that was just recovered... But a 'recovered' file
does not replace your saved copy on it's own.