Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Kent Borg

Default Greedy Sounds Applications

I can't get output from more than one application at once. That is, if
I launch Rhythmbox it can make noise, but Youtube videos from Firefox
can't. Or, if I first play sound from Firefox, Rhythmbox cannot make
any noise. Rhythmbox *thinks* it is playing, but I don't hear anything.

If I quit both the first one I launch will have the ability to play sounds.

I am running a clean install of 8.04 (though old home directory).

Suggestions?

Thanks,

-kb

Old 05-12-2008, 05:59 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Kent Borg <kentborg@borg.org> wrote:
> I can't get output from more than one application at once. That is, if
> I launch Rhythmbox it can make noise, but Youtube videos from Firefox
> can't. Or, if I first play sound from Firefox, Rhythmbox cannot make
> any noise. Rhythmbox *thinks* it is playing, but I don't hear anything.
[...]

First thing I would check: System->Preferences->Sound - the "Sounds
Tab" - make sure "Enable software mixing" is checked.

Chris

Old 05-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Kent Borg

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Kent Borg <kentborg@borg.org> wrote:
>
>> I can't get output from more than one application at once. That is, if
>> I launch Rhythmbox it can make noise, but Youtube videos from Firefox
>> can't. Or, if I first play sound from Firefox, Rhythmbox cannot make
>> any noise. Rhythmbox *thinks* it is playing, but I don't hear anything.
>>
> [...]
>
> First thing I would check: System->Preferences->Sound - the "Sounds
> Tab" - make sure "Enable software mixing" is checked.

Yup, it was (and is) checked.

Other ideas?

-kb

Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Kent Borg <kentborg@borg.org> wrote:
[...]
> > First thing I would check: System->Preferences->Sound - the "Sounds
> > Tab" - make sure "Enable software mixing" is checked.
>
> Yup, it was (and is) checked.
>
> Other ideas?

Hmm - have you installed/removed any audio-related packages lately?
I'm not up to speed on the new pusleaudio stuff, but if I had to guess
the package 'pulseaudio-esound-compat' looks like a good candidate for
software mixing...

Hopefully someone with some expertise will jump in here

Chris

Old 05-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Dubh Aingeal

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Kent Borg <kentborg@borg.org> wrote:
>
>> I can't get output from more than one application at once. That is, if
>> I launch Rhythmbox it can make noise, but Youtube videos from Firefox
>> can't. Or, if I first play sound from Firefox, Rhythmbox cannot make
>> any noise. Rhythmbox *thinks* it is playing, but I don't hear anything.
>>
> [...]
>
> First thing I would check: System->Preferences->Sound - the "Sounds
> Tab" - make sure "Enable software mixing" is checked.
>
> Chris

I had a similar problem during the beta period. Once I switched the
device settings away from PulseAudio back to the hardware (in my case
Intel) I had no more issues with sound in one app only.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 PM
David Vincent