Old 05-12-2008, 04:54 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

Default How to modify menu.lst

Hello Ubuntu experts
I would appreciate to get some assistance in modificating the attached
menu.lst ! ;-)

At system boot it currently shows the 3 Ubuntu entries
(normal/recovery/memtest86+) = OK !
It also shows the WinXPP entry !

I would like to hear / learn how to get the WinXPP entry invisible in
the list but
available with scrolling down to get it visible !?

What do I need to change ?

Another more cosmetic question:

The 3 Ubuntu entries are listed in 3 lines and
after "Other operating systems:
it shows the line with WinXPP !!!

How can i get it looking like following:

visible Ubuntu 8.04 DT, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
visible Ubuntu 8.04 DT, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
visible Ubuntu 8.04 DT, memtest86+
invisible -----------------------------------------
invisible Other operating systems:
invisible M$ WinXP PRO SP3

TIA for your assistance and guidance.
Cheers, svobi
# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
# grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
# grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
# and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default 0

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 3

## hiddenmenu
# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
#hiddenmenu

# Pretty colours
color light-green/brown yellow/green

## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
# command 'lock'
# e.g. password topsecret
## password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
# password topsecret

#
# examples
#
# title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1
#
# title Linux
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
#

#
# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=UUID=ff9fc724-81c7-41af-950b-c245ec837d19 ro

## Setup crashdump menu entries
## e.g. crashdump=1
# crashdump=0

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd0,5)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
## alternative=false
# alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
## lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=splash vga=792

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
## e.g. lockold=false
## lockold=true
# lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
## altoptions=(recovery) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
## howmany=7
# howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
## memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
## can be true or false
# updatedefaultentry=false

## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
## can be true or false
# savedefault=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 8.04 DT, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=ff9fc724-81c7-41af-950b-c245ec837d19 ro splash vga=792
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 8.04 DT, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=ff9fc724-81c7-41af-950b-c245ec837d19 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic

title Ubuntu 8.04 DT, memtest86+
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title -------------------------------
title > > > Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title M$ WinXP PRO SP3
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
chainloader +1

Old 05-12-2008, 05:07 AM
"Nick Ellery"

Hi svobi,

Have a look here for instructions on editing GRUB parameters
http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2007/05/ubuntu-how-to-edit-grub-boot-parameters.html

Nick

[...]

Nick Ellery

Old 05-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Derek Broughton

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:

> Hello Ubuntu experts
> I would appreciate to get some assistance in modificating the attached
> menu.lst ! ;-)
>
> At system boot it currently shows the 3 Ubuntu entries
> (normal/recovery/memtest86+) = OK !
> It also shows the WinXPP entry !
>
> I would like to hear / learn how to get the WinXPP entry invisible in
> the list but
> available with scrolling down to get it visible !?
>
> What do I need to change ?

Add a lot of blank lines? I don't think it's possible to make them just
invisible.

> Another more cosmetic question:
>
> The 3 Ubuntu entries are listed in 3 lines and
> after "Other operating systems:
> it shows the line with WinXPP !!!
>
> How can i get it looking like following:
>
> visible Ubuntu 8.04 DT, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
> visible Ubuntu 8.04 DT, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
> visible Ubuntu 8.04 DT, memtest86+
> invisible -----------------------------------------
> invisible Other operating systems:
> invisible M$ WinXP PRO SP3

I must be missing something, because that looks like the same question. I
guess all those exclamations after WinXPP must be significant...
--
derek

Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 PM
elmo

Derek Broughton wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
>

>> Hello Ubuntu experts
>> I would appreciate to get some assistance in modificating the attached
>> menu.lst ! ;-)
>>
>> At system boot it currently shows the 3 Ubuntu entries
>> (normal/recovery/memtest86+) = OK !
>> It also shows the WinXPP entry !
>>
>> I would like to hear / learn how to get the WinXPP entry invisible in
>> the list but
>> available with scrolling down to get it visible !?
>>
>> What do I need to change ?
>>

> Add a lot of blank lines? I don't think it's possible to make them just
> invisible.
>
>> Another more cosmetic question:
>>
>> The 3 Ubuntu entries are listed in 3 lines and
>> after "Other operating systems:
>> it shows the line with WinXPP !!!
>>
>> How can i get it looking like following:
>>
>> visible Ubuntu 8.04 DT, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
>> visible Ubuntu 8.04 DT, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
>> visible Ubuntu 8.04 DT, memtest86+
>> invisible -----------------------------------------
>> invisible Other operating systems:
>> invisible M$ WinXP PRO SP3
>>

> I must be missing something, because that looks like the same question. I
> guess all those exclamations after WinXPP must be significant...

It's difficult to figure out exactly what you are trying to do but this
might help:

If the changes you want to make are to be accepted by menu.lst, you
should prepare menu.lst before starting to make these changes Use a
terminal and type in; chmod go+rw /boot/grub/menu.ls, Thereafter,
any changes you make in menu.lst will be accepted on a save command.

Notice that most of the lines in menu.lst start with # and the effective
systems lines do not start with #.

You can prevent any line from appearing on the bootup menu or performing
its function by preceding it with a #.

If you want things to appear in a certain order on the bootup menu, you
can use an editor to move items around in /boot/grub/menu.lst

For example, I wanted Windows XP to be at the top of the bootup menu so
I moved its entire entry of XP to be the first entry. (Actually, I
copied it in a space before the first UBUNTU entry, then I went to the
original location of XP and preceded each line
with a # instead of deleting the entire original XP.
[
After you made your changes, perform a save. Normally, the save
would not be accepted but the ' chmod go+rw /boot/grub/menu.ls ' you
did earlier will allow you to do the save, now and in the future.
HTH

Old 05-12-2008, 11:52 PM
"James Taji"

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:
> If the changes you want to make are to be accepted by menu.lst, you
> should prepare menu.lst before starting to make these changes Use a
> terminal and type in; chmod go+rw /boot/grub/menu.ls, Thereafter,
> any changes you make in menu.lst will be accepted on a save command.

This is rather bad advice to recommend making any system files world
writeable. Permissions on system files do not generally need to be
modified, instead one should use sudo before the editing command to
gain root privileges, e.g.:

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

or preferably:

sudoedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

If a gui editor is desired then use gksudo, eg.:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

--
James Taji
Design Engineer, JLD Systems, Ltd.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:11 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 19:52 -0400, James Taji wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:
> > If the changes you want to make are to be accepted by menu.lst, you
> > should prepare menu.lst before starting to make these changes Use a
> > terminal and type in; chmod go+rw /boot/grub/menu.ls, Thereafter,
> > any changes you make in menu.lst will be accepted on a save command.
>
> This is rather bad advice to recommend making any system files world
> writeable. Permissions on system files do not generally need to be
> modified, instead one should use sudo before the editing command to
> gain root privileges, e.g.:
>
> sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> or preferably:
>
> sudoedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> If a gui editor is desired then use gksudo, eg.:
>
> gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> --
> James Taji

Hi James,
You got it really correct !
I am able and doing sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst ... that's not the
problem !! ;-D
Had attached the present menu.lst to show how it currently looks !!! ;-|

The 2 only things I want to get is following:

1st. After the 3 Ubuntu entries and above "Other operating systems:"
I would like to have a long line !

As a greenhorn / newbie I feel insecure to modify it and
risking some malfunction !?

I only need the advice / guidance how to split the upper (Ubuntu) part
remain visible and
the rest, like following, invisible:

Other operating systems:
M$ WinXP PRO SP3

That's all & TIA for hints and suggestions ! ;-)

Cheers, svobi

PS: Unfortunately I am unable to provide the respective menu.lst again
just now
because the notebook is out of the house now, sorry ! ;-(

Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 AM
"Alan Milnes"

On 13/05/2008, James Taji <james.taji@gmail.com> wrote:
> If a gui editor is desired then use gksudo, eg.:
>
> gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Is that still necessary in 8.04?

Alan

Old 05-13-2008, 03:10 PM
elmo

James Taji wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> If the changes you want to make are to be accepted by menu.lst, you
>> should prepare menu.lst before starting to make these changes Use a
>> terminal and type in; chmod go+rw /boot/grub/menu.ls, Thereafter,
>> any changes you make in menu.lst will be accepted on a save command.
>>

> This is rather bad advice to recommend making any system files world
> writeable. Permissions on system files do not generally need to be
> modified, instead one should use sudo before the editing command to
> gain root privileges, e.g.:
>
> sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> or preferably:
>
> sudoedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> If a gui editor is desired then use gksudo, eg.:
>
> gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

I've been doing it the way I posted for quite a while because it worked
and so far haven't had any problem. However,
I'll start doing it the sudo way from now on, just in case. Thanks.
elmo .

Old 05-14-2008, 01:33 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 11:10 -0400, elmo wrote:
> James Taji wrote:
> > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >> If the changes you want to make are to be accepted by menu.lst, you
> >> should prepare menu.lst before starting to make these changes Use a
> >> terminal and type in; chmod go+rw /boot/grub/menu.ls, Thereafter,
> >> any changes you make in menu.lst will be accepted on a save command.
> >>

> > This is rather bad advice to recommend making any system files world
> > writeable. Permissions on system files do not generally need to be
> > modified, instead one should use sudo before the editing command to
> > gain root privileges, e.g.:
> >
> > sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >
> > or preferably:
> >
> > sudoedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >
> > If a gui editor is desired then use gksudo, eg.:
> >
> > gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >

> I've been doing it the way I posted for quite a while because it worked
> and so far haven't had any problem. However,
> I'll start doing it the sudo way from now on, just in case. Thanks.
> elmo

Hi Elmo, and all others too
Thanks for your efforts and support !
Well. my problem isn't how and with what to edit !!

My problem, as newbie, is more lacking of experience in the correct
content
and the respective parameters an its functions inside menu.lst !!!

It's nothing very important and I am able to get along easily without
modifications. ;-D

My intention is more to learn how to get either this or that,
especially with one system I do have and the other system doesn't.
So I hope / wish to get both systems working alike !! ;-))

Without knowing and foreseeing the results I am not risking
anything ! ;-D

Cheers, svobi

Old 05-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Karl Larsen

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 11:10 -0400, elmo wrote:
>
>> James Taji wrote:

>>> This is rather bad advice to recommend making any system files world
>>> writeable. Permissions on system files do not generally need to be
>>> modified, instead one should use sudo before the editing command to
>>> gain root privileges, e.g.:
>>>
>>> sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
>>>
>>> or preferably:
>>>
>>> sudoedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
>>>
>>> If a gui editor is desired then use gksudo, eg.:
>>>
>>> gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
>>>

>> I've been doing it the way I posted for quite a while because it worked
>> and so far haven't had any problem. However,
>> I'll start doing it the sudo way from now on, just in case. Thanks.
>> elmo
>>

> Hi Elmo, and all others too
> Thanks for your efforts and support !
> Well. my problem isn't how and with what to edit !!
>
> My problem, as newbie, is more lacking of experience in the correct
> content
> and the respective parameters an its functions inside menu.lst !!!
>
> It's nothing very important and I am able to get along easily without
> modifications. ;-D
>
> My intention is more to learn how to get either this or that,
> especially with one system I do have and the other system doesn't.
> So I hope / wish to get both systems working alike !! ;-))
>
> Without knowing and foreseeing the results I am not risking
> anything ! ;-D
>
> Cheers, svobi

Everyone is missing the best advice. Before you change menu.lst make
a copy of the current one! Then if it is a problem you can get to here
again.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI