-   -   time zone, request (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/86129-time-zone-request.html)

"Nik N" 05-12-2008 01:38 AM

time zone, request

I am sure I can't be the only one who travels a lot with the laptop and prefers
to keep the computer time at UTC, regardless of the physical location
one is at.

It surprises me that in the installation procesdrure, I can't simply
say: THIS MACHINE IS TO OPERATE ON UTC time, its geographical location
has nothing to do with machine time.

Niknot

Mario Vukelic 05-12-2008 07:16 AM

time zone, request

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 01:38 +0000, Nik N wrote:
> I am sure I can't be the only one who travels a lot with the laptop and prefers
> to keep the computer time at UTC, regardless of the physical location
> one is at.
> It surprises me that in the installation procesdrure, I can't simply
> say: THIS MACHINE IS TO OPERATE ON UTC time, its geographical location
> has nothing to do with machine time.

Are you talking about the BIOS time, or the time that is visible to the
user?

Because, having the BIOS time set to UTC is the Unix way, and Linux has
recommended this forever. However, Windows cannot deal with UTC in the
BIOS, and therefore IIRC Ubuntu assumes the BIOS is in local time only
if is Windows present.

If you are talking about the time that is being presented to the user,
well, you can set it so that you are in UTC.

Karl Larsen 05-12-2008 11:37 AM

time zone, request

Nik N wrote:
> I am sure I can't be the only one who travels a lot with the laptop and prefers
> to keep the computer time at UTC, regardless of the physical location
> one is at.
>
> It surprises me that in the installation procesdrure, I can't simply
> say: THIS MACHINE IS TO OPERATE ON UTC time, its geographical location
> has nothing to do with machine time.
>
> Niknot

You had the chance to run UTC time when you installed your system.
Now you right click the time in the upper right of your Desktop and
select to use UTC :-)

Or you can set it to the local time. When younger I traveled a lot
and found I adapted to the time change faster if I set my watch to local
time.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Thilo Six 05-12-2008 01:29 PM

time zone, request

Nik N wrote the following on 12.05.2008 03:38

> I am sure I can't be the only one who travels a lot with the laptop and prefers
> to keep the computer time at UTC, regardless of the physical location
> one is at.
>
> It surprises me that in the installation procesdrure, I can't simply
> say: THIS MACHINE IS TO OPERATE ON UTC time, its geographical location
> has nothing to do with machine time.
>
> Niknot

$ grep UTC /etc/default/rcS
UTC=yes

voila

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

"Nik N" 05-12-2008 01:30 PM

time zone, request

In no release of Ubuntu (unlike some other distributions/installers)
did the time zone selection panel (rigth at the beginning of the
installation process offer, among the long, long table of "locations"
a simple "time zone" by name selection, where, one would expect, one
selection would be simply UTC. I find it so much simpler to have *nix
time to be UTC (particularly file-times, at jobs...)

(of course the hardware clock is UTC, after all, I dont live in Redmond :)
Niknot

"Nik N" 05-13-2008 02:09 PM

time zone, request

I know that ~it can be done~. I'm objecting to how the installer is
put together,
based on the naive notion that:

a) user is so dense he or she doesn't know what time zone he wants his
OS time to be,

and

b) that computers are like trees: located in ONE and only one
geographical location.

At least, please offer the list of timezones in addition to
geographical locations.

(Software design is a feed-back model: treat the user as an idiot, and
he quickly become one).
Nik

Mario Vukelic 05-13-2008 04:50 PM

time zone, request

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 14:09 +0000, Nik N wrote:
> I'm objecting to how the installer is
> put together, based on the naive notion that:
<snip>

Maybe you used the wrong installer? The Desktop CD is simple with a
reason, 4 questions to a working OS and applications. If you need
control, use the Alternate CD.

Thilo Six 05-13-2008 05:45 PM

time zone, request

Mario Vukelic wrote the following on 13.05.2008 18:50

> On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 14:09 +0000, Nik N wrote:
>> I'm objecting to how the installer is
>> put together, based on the naive notion that:
> <snip>
>
> Maybe you used the wrong installer? The Desktop CD is simple with a
> reason, 4 questions to a working OS and applications. If you need
> control, use the Alternate CD.

I just want to add:
If you have a dumb OS installed (not capable handling UTC) and run d-i from
the alternate CD it will detect this and will install a local time for you.

That is by design and although i never used the live CD installer i assume it
has a similar logic.

Apart from that there at least had been such thing you are looking for:
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Ubuntu_Installation#head-c99bb2223c07cfa828ae42c770b26d31c4c820aa

So i suggest you to search launchpad, find the bugreport(s) about removing
this question and add you complaints there.

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux 05-14-2008 02:00 AM

time zone, request

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 19:45 +0200, Thilo Six wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote the following on 13.05.2008 18:50
>
> > On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 14:09 +0000, Nik N wrote:
> >> I'm objecting to how the installer is
> >> put together, based on the naive notion that:
> > <snip>
> >
> > Maybe you used the wrong installer? The Desktop CD is simple with a
> > reason, 4 questions to a working OS and applications. If you need
> > control, use the Alternate CD.
>
> I just want to add:
> If you have a dumb OS installed (not capable handling UTC) and run d-i from
> the alternate CD it will detect this and will install a local time for you.
>
> That is by design and although i never used the live CD installer i assume it
> has a similar logic.
>
> Apart from that there at least had been such thing you are looking for:
> http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Ubuntu_Installation#head-c99bb2223c07cfa828ae42c770b26d31c4c820aa
>
> So i suggest you to search launchpad, find the bugreport(s) about removing
> this question and add you complaints there.
> --
> bye Thilo
>
> key: 0x4A411E09

Hey Thilo
Thanks for your link !
Form, native language (Swiss-) German it's an intersting one !!
For the English speaking community it will not be sooo helpfull !? ;-)

Well, I do have somewhat like a time zone problem too !!!

Even with German being my native language, all my OS'es and its
applications are always English.
Other languages are only accepted in very very special and for really
good reasons.

As locale, however not being / living there anymore, I always set
Switzerland,
because of the used locale settings and i.e. the external Swiss KBD with
Umlauts.
All our systems, by default, do have Swiss KBD's too.

I would love to find out and learn to understand better the best
settings in this ! ;-)

Long ago I had some, unfortunately not so nice - or quite messy,
experience
while trying to get this done ...
... when I travelled a lot with timezones changing from GMT+1/2 to GMT+8
to GMT-8 etc !!!

Nowadays, retired, I am not jumping from timezones to timezones
anymore. ;-D
Sometimes for overseas journeys to topic still comes up again once in a
while:

So timezone UTC would be a constant and fixed coordinate.
Date & time can easily being checked with an application like a world
clock !?

But:
How is the timestamps to e-mails and mailing lists ???

The topic seems quite much more complex than timezone's only !!! ;-D
Cheers, svobi