Old 05-11-2008, 05:34 PM
"Nik N"

Default Mountig Windows partitions at boot in 8.04

My previous installation (7.04?) automatically detected two windows partitions
at the installation time and created whatever was necessary to mount
them automatically at Ubuntu Boot time. For some reason (perhaps my
mis-step, although I don't think so, I identified all partitions and
their mount points to the installer) this did not happen for my recent
installation of 8.04

What are the manual steps I must perform to have the sam (mount at
boot time) done in 8.04? Is it just some lines in /etc/fstab, or is
there mote to it?

tia, Niknot

Old 05-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Nik N wrote:
> My previous installation (7.04?) automatically detected two windows
> partitions at the installation time and created whatever was
> necessary to mount them automatically at Ubuntu Boot time. For some
> reason (perhaps my mis-step, although I don't think so, I identified
> all partitions and their mount points to the installer) this did not
> happen for my recent installation of 8.04

I noticed that 8.04 didn't automatically pick up my NTFS drives. I
disconnected them when I did the install, and expected that they'd just
pop up after I plugged them back in. Solution below...

> What are the manual steps I must perform to have the sam (mount at
> boot time) done in 8.04? Is it just some lines in /etc/fstab, or is
> there mote to it?
>
> tia, Niknot

There's a graphical NTFS configuration shell in the repositories that
works very well using the ntfs-3g driver. It's called ntfs-config,
version 0.5.5 by Martens Florent. Easy-peasey.
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:46 AM
"Nik N"

On 5/11/08, Steven Davies-Morris <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
> There's a graphical NTFS configuration shell in the repositories that
> works very well using the ntfs-3g driver. It's called ntfs-config,
> version 0.5.5 by Martens Florent. Easy-peasey.
ntsf-config only open a dialog that enables/disables write to mounted
ntsf volumes but does nothing to mount/dismount on boot. Or am I
missing something?

Niknot

Old 05-12-2008, 02:30 AM
NoOp

On 05/11/2008 06:46 PM, Nik N wrote:
> On 5/11/08, Steven Davies-Morris <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
>> There's a graphical NTFS configuration shell in the repositories that
>> works very well using the ntfs-3g driver. It's called ntfs-config,
>> version 0.5.5 by Martens Florent. Easy-peasey.
> ntsf-config only open a dialog that enables/disables write to mounted
> ntsf volumes but does nothing to mount/dismount on boot. Or am I
> missing something?
>
> Niknot

You might want to look at your /etc/fstab and see if the Windows
partitions were maintained in the file following your update. It not,
add them back in & reboot.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 AM
"Nik N"

> You might want to look at your /etc/fstab and see if the Windows
> partitions were maintained in the file following your update. It not,
> add them back in & reboot.

I can easily do so; however I was wondering if that's all - for
instance, what places their icons on the desktop once mounted at boot
time? And what directory should the mountpoints be in - mnt or media?
My impression was that those drives that are mounted at boot time are
not only in fstab, but that there ate other references (mtab?) made by
the installer.

Niknot

Old 05-12-2008, 04:08 AM
"Felipe Figueiredo"

Nik,

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Nik N <niknot@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You might want to look at your /etc/fstab and see if the Windows
> > partitions were maintained in the file following your update. It not,
> > add them back in & reboot.
>
> I can easily do so; however I was wondering if that's all - for
> instance, what places their icons on the desktop once mounted at boot
> time? And what directory should the mountpoints be in - mnt or media?
> My impression was that those drives that are mounted at boot time are
> not only in fstab, but that there ate other references (mtab?) made by
> the installer.

First of all, have you checked Places>Computer ?

It's as easy as it seems - fstab is the one place you need to edit.
mtab exists for information purposes, not configuration. Also, the
default for a line in fstab is to mount at boot, unless explicitly
told otherwise (by the option 'noauto').

It will appear in Places/Computer (either when mounted or unmounted)
and also in your desktop when mounted. The default is to mount in
/media.

I could be wrong in this, but I think fuse (or something else) will
write a proper line in fstab if you mount the device (assuming it gets
detected by gnome in Places>Computer) the first time you try to mount
it (it will need your password for this). If your ntfs partition
appear in Places/Computer, and you can't mount it for whatever reason,
try to remove/comment the fstab entry, restart your gnome session
(this step might not be necessary) and try to mount it again in the
GUI.

regards
FF

Old 05-12-2008, 02:37 PM
"Nik N"

Here's what I did wrong: at installation time I specified mountpoint
somewhere other than in /media (it did not appear to me that permanent
partitions on the same drive as Ubuntu are "media" - to me "media"
implied "removable media"). My NTSF partitions are mounted, but do not
appear in Places or desktop (as they did in my 7.10 installation).

To be pragmatic about this, my question now is: How do I edit Places
menu? Menu editing in preferences ignores "Places". Any negative
consequences of editing it?
And why is the filesystem not included in "Places" - any reason I
shouldn't include it there (assuming I can somehow edit that list).
Any reason why NOT to remove "Documents", "Music", "Pictures"
<soapbox>who the heck keeps all his graphical image files in the same
hierarchy branch? - why did Ubuntu pick up from Redmond this notion
that users are not capable of dealing with the hierarchical file
sistems?</soapbox>

TIA,
Nik

Old 05-12-2008, 02:42 PM
"Nik N"

Please ignore previous post, editing "Places" is straightforward
(except there is no hook in the menu editor
Nik