Old 05-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Brian Lunergan

Default Backup to CD options?

Hi ho:

What's available for backup on a single machine to CD (drive is an LG unit
that appeared to favour Nero software under XP, at least to do with CD-RW
media)??

Would prefer something with a graphic UI. Not for any nostalgic attachment
to windows, but because of disability issues that hamper my keyboarding
ability.

Regaards...
--

Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario

Old 05-11-2008, 05:26 PM
"Shawn McCuan"

What's available for backup on a single machine to CD (drive is an LG unit

that appeared to favour Nero software under XP, at least to do with CD-RW

media)??

Would prefer something with a graphic UI. Not for any nostalgic attachment

to windows, but because of disability issues that hamper my keyboarding

ability.

Regaards...

--

Brian Lunergan

Nepean, Ontario

Canada

If you go to Applications > Add/Remove, and search for 'backup' there are multiple items available- I haven't used one myself - I have my backups ran by a custom script.

--
Shawn McCuan
smccuan@gmail.com

Support a national popular vote in the US!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com

Old 05-11-2008, 06:02 PM
"Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]"

Brian Lunergan skrev:

Hi ho:

What's available for backup on a single machine to CD (drive is an LG unit
that appeared to favour Nero software under XP, at least to do with CD-RW
media)??

Would prefer something with a graphic UI. Not for any nostalgic attachment
to windows, but because of disability issues that hamper my keyboarding
ability.

Regaards...

I'm very partial to Acronis, I use the Boot-CD to
back-up my *nix/*nux partitions, and it's never let me down - more than
worth the ~50$ or so it'll set you back.

--
Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
email: peter(no-spam-filler)@frenning.dk
http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
Ph. +45 4619 3239
Snailmail:
Peter Frenning
Ternevej 23
DK-4130 Viby Sj.
Denmark

Old 05-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Brian Lunergan wrote:
> Hi ho:
>
> What's available for backup on a single machine to CD (drive is an LG unit
> that appeared to favour Nero software under XP, at least to do with CD-RW
> media)??
>
> Would prefer something with a graphic UI. Not for any nostalgic attachment
> to windows, but because of disability issues that hamper my keyboarding
> ability.

If you are looking for CD/DVD burning software, K3B is a nice free one.

A commercial one is "Nero Linux".

Old 05-11-2008, 08:49 PM
"Felipe Figueiredo"

Brian

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Brian Lunergan <ff809@ncf.ca> wrote:
> Hi ho:
>
> What's available for backup on a single machine to CD (drive is an LG unit
> that appeared to favour Nero software under XP, at least to do with CD-RW
> media)??
>
> Would prefer something with a graphic UI. Not for any nostalgic attachment
> to windows, but because of disability issues that hamper my keyboarding
> ability.

"Home User Backup" (real name hubackup) should be what you need,
expect that it has a nasty bug that prevents the application to
restore backups from the application interface (you can restore
manually, if you know the DAR syntax, but it defeats the purpose of
the GUI, right?). The bug is known upstream, and AFAIK it's not ubuntu
related.

Then there is "File Backup Manager" (real name pybackpack). I haven't
tested it, but it can backup by default your home dir to a CD/DVD with
only one click. You should give that a try (also, please test that you
can restore from it, before trusting it your data).

regards
FF

Old 05-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Mike McGinn

On Sunday 11 May 2008 16:49:14 Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> "Home User Backup" (real name hubackup) should be what you need,
> expect that it has a nasty bug that prevents the application to
> restore backups from the application interface (you can restore
> manually, if you know the DAR syntax, but it defeats the purpose of
> the GUI, right?). The bug is known upstream, and AFAIK it's not ubuntu
> related.
>
> Then there is "File Backup Manager" (real name pybackpack). I haven't
> tested it, but it can backup by default your home dir to a CD/DVD with
> only one click. You should give that a try (also, please test that you
> can restore from it, before trusting it your data).
>
> regards
> FF
I use scripts calling dar to back up everything, laptops at home and servers
at work. It's not that complicated.

--
Mike McGinn
Registered Linux User 377849

Old 05-11-2008, 09:19 PM
"Felipe Figueiredo"

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Mike McGinn <mikemcginn@mcginnweb.net> wrote:

> I use scripts calling dar to back up everything, laptops at home and servers
> at work. It's not that complicated.

Me too. But this is not what the OP asked for.

And again, using a GUI to backup, and a script to restore defeats the
purpose of using the GUI in the first place, right?

regards
FF

Old 05-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Richard Potter

On Sun, 11 May 2008 20:02:18 +0200, "Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]"
<peter@frenning.dk> wrote:

> Brian Lunergan skrev:
>> Hi ho:
>>
>> What's available for backup on a single machine to CD (drive is an LG
> unit
>> that appeared to favour Nero software under XP, at least to do with
> CD-RW
>> media)??
>>
>> Would prefer something with a graphic UI. Not for any nostalgic
> attachment
>> to windows, but because of disability issues that hamper my keyboarding
>> ability.
>>
>> Regaards...
>>
> I'm very partial to Acronis, I use the Boot-CD to back-up my *nix/*nux
> partitions, and it's never let me down - more than worth the ~50$ or so
> it'll set you back.

Save your 50 bucks, and check out Clonezilla. It actually works better
than,
and with more hardware than, Acronis.

http://www.clonezilla.org/

Cheers!
--
Richard

Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 AM
"Terrell Prudé Jr."

Brian Lunergan wrote:

Hi ho:

What's available for backup on a single machine to CD (drive is an LG unit
that appeared to favour Nero software under XP, at least to do with CD-RW
media)??

Would prefer something with a graphic UI. Not for any nostalgic attachment
to windows, but because of disability issues that hamper my keyboarding
ability.

Regaards...

I use K3b.* Works great both with CD's and DVD's.* Looks and acts a
whole lot like Roxio's (formerly HP's) CD-Writer Plus app on MS Windows.

--TP

_______________________________

Do you GNU?

Microsoft Free since 2003--the
ultimate antivirus protection!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Brian Lunergan

Shawn McCuan wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Brian Lunergan <ff809@ncf.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi ho:
>>
>> What's available for backup on a single machine to CD (drive is an LG unit
>> that appeared to favour Nero software under XP, at least to do with CD-RW
>> media)??
>>
>> Would prefer something with a graphic UI. Not for any nostalgic attachment
>> to windows, but because of disability issues that hamper my keyboarding
>> ability.
>>
>> Regaards...
>> --
>>
>> Brian Lunergan
>> Nepean, Ontario
>> Canada
>>
>> --
>>

> If you go to Applications > Add/Remove, and search for 'backup' there are
> multiple items available- I haven't used one myself - I have my backups ran
> by a custom script.

Already wandered down that path, Shawn. Found three likely possibilities,
but had indifferent results. Pybackup didn't seem to recognize my drive.
Got to the waiting for a disc stage and stalled even though I had inserted
a new disc for it to use. Simple had the right kind of front end, but
didn't seem to have a provision for saving to disc. By this point I
probably didn't give hubackup a fair shake but it seemed to be in the same
boat as simple. Right kind of front end but no disc option.

I suppose if push came to shove I could do a manual job using Brasero or
GnomeBaker, but I'd really like to find something purpose built that
recognized my hardware.

I realize the Linux 'purist' (whoever or whatever that might be) would work
to CLI and type the whole thing in or use scripts, but that is really not a
workable option for me nowadays. Even putting this note together was
frustrating due to effects of RSI damage (Something very real and painful).
I need a graphic tool that works reasonably well, takes the criteria I give
it using pick from a list or drag and drop with a minimum of typing, and
then goes to work behind the scenes to produce a result.

--

Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario