FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Teguh Luntoro
 
Default Install ubuntu under Windows

Hi,

I want to install Ubuntu 8.04 to my Toshiba Satellite A10.
I have downloaded the AMD64 bit ISO file, mount it as CD Drive using Virtual Clone Drive.

Then I click the button 'Install Ubuntu Under Windows'.
However when they start installing the file, my computer connect to the internet to download the file again which is 700 MB.

I think the ISO file that I download should provide enough file to cover the installation.

1. How can I install Ubuntu without letting it automatically download (again) the source?
2. My laptop is Celeron 1.8 GHz, is it ok to install the 64 bit version?
What is the difference with the 32 bit version?

Teguh Luntoro


Share your beautiful moments with Photo Gallery. Windows Live Photo Gallery
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-11-2008, 11:25 AM
"Shawn McCuan"
 
Default Install ubuntu under Windows

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Teguh Luntoro <teguhluntoro@hotmail.com> wrote:


Hi,

I want to install Ubuntu 8.04 to my Toshiba Satellite A10.
I have downloaded the AMD64 bit ISO file, mount it as CD Drive using Virtual Clone Drive.

Then I click the button 'Install Ubuntu Under Windows'.

However when they start installing the file, my computer connect to the internet to download the file again which is 700 MB.

I think the ISO file that I download should provide enough file to cover the installation.


1. How can I install Ubuntu without letting it automatically download (again) the source?
2. My laptop is Celeron 1.8 GHz, is it ok to install the 64 bit version?
What is the difference with the 32 bit version?


Teguh Luntoro




Share your beautiful moments with Photo Gallery. Windows Live Photo Gallery
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



I'm pretty sure that you *must* use the 32bit version for a Celeron (which is a 32bit processor)...
Download the 32-bit iso, and try that.

--
Shawn McCuan
smccuan@gmail.com

Support a national popular vote in the US!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-11-2008, 12:48 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default Install ubuntu under Windows

"Shawn McCuan" <smccuan@gmail.com> said:
> I'm pretty sure that you *must* use the 32bit version for a Celeron
> (which is a 32bit processor)...
> Download the 32-bit iso, and try that.

Celeron is also Intel so the AMD file might not be the one he wants,
either.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
"The Barsoom Project"

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Stratos Laspas
 
Default Install ubuntu under Windows

στις 11/05/2008 03:48 μμ, O/H Cybe R. Wizard *γραψε:
> "Shawn McCuan" <smccuan@gmail.com> said:
>> I'm pretty sure that you *must* use the 32bit version for a Celeron
>> (which is a 32bit processor)...
>> Download the 32-bit iso, and try that.
>
That's the answer, your processor is 32bit.

> Celeron is also Intel so the AMD file might not be the one he wants,
> either.
>
AMD64 is the architecture for both intel and amd 64 bit processors, but
that's not the case here.


> Cybe R. Wizard


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Tom Rausner
 
Default Install ubuntu under Windows

sn, 11 05 2008 kl. 07:48 -0500, skrev Cybe R. Wizard:
> "Shawn McCuan" <smccuan@gmail.com> said:
> > I'm pretty sure that you *must* use the 32bit version for a Celeron
> > (which is a 32bit processor)...
> > Download the 32-bit iso, and try that.

Both my computer and my Ubuntu is 64 bit.

> Celeron is also Intel so the AMD file might not be the one he wants,
> either.

My processor is AMD.

Tom


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Teguh Luntoro
 
Default Install ubuntu under Windows

Hi,

I have tried to install the Ubuntu under Windows at my Celeron computer.
I install the 32 bit version.
I have downloaded the ISO image, put in my computer.

However, when I install Ubuntu under windows, it keep downloading the file from the internet, which is 700 MB.
About the same size I download the image.

Ubuntu seems 'not aware' that it already have the source in the computer.

Is there any setting that I need to make, so that installation progress will read the ISO file from my local computer instead downloading again from the internet?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Teguh



Make the most of what you can do on your PC and the Web, just the way you want. Windows Live
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Install ubuntu under Windows

Teguh Luntoro wrote:
> I have tried to install the Ubuntu under Windows at my Celeron
> computer. I install the 32 bit version.
> I have downloaded the ISO image, put in my computer.
>
> However, when I install Ubuntu under windows, it keep downloading the
> file from the internet, which is 700 MB. About the same size I download
> the image.

Did you try what happens if you disconect the network during the
installation? Does the installer complain about missing internet
connection or will it use the CD as expected?


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org