Old 05-11-2008, 08:41 AM
musicman

Default Changing default programs

Hola

I want to change a default app. I've looked in teh obv places, but
can't see the ability.

In particular, I wanted to change the "on CD insert" default from
(what ever is there atm) to Sound Juicer.

any ideas?

cheers
L.

--
===
I think I've decided that, as things stand, Neutral Milk Hotel's "In

Old 05-11-2008, 08:43 AM
musicman

Well, that's prolly the fastest I've ever solved my own problem. Damn,
my bad, please excuse. I found the answer.

(for those that want to know: File Management preferences, available
from any nautilus window, under edit)

/me slaps head.

cheers
L.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:28 AM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

In Gutsy is was able to change the default DVD/CD player from an applet
on the Preferences menu but that seems to be missing from Hardy.

I did try Preferences~>Removeable Drives and Media but the option for
Audio CDs and DVDs weren't there. I want VLC to automatically launch
for DVDs instead of Totem.

How can I change this setting?

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 06-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Phil Sexton

Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
> In Gutsy is was able to change the default DVD/CD player from an applet
> on the Preferences menu but that seems to be missing from Hardy.
>
> I did try Preferences~>Removeable Drives and Media but the option for
> Audio CDs and DVDs weren't there. I want VLC to automatically launch
> for DVDs instead of Totem.
>
> How can I change this setting?

From <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683>:

UBUNTU 8.04 HARDY HERON USERS ONLY

To change the default DVD player in Hardy Heron to VLC (not Kubuntu,
issues with Xubuntu), copy and paste this command into the terminal:

gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list

Press Ctrl+f and search for "x-content/video", then change the
"totem.desktop" entries to "vlc.desktop". Close and save. Next,
navigate to Places > Computer > Edit > Preferences > Media > DVD
Video and make sure VLC is selected, then test whether automatic
launch and playback with VLC works for you by inserting a DVD. If
playback doesn't work properly, navigate to Video > Deinterlace
within VLC and select mode "Blend". If that still doesn't solve your
issue, or you just want more features enabled upon launch (such as
fullscreen upon launch), follow the intructions in the next paragraph.

Right-click on "Applications" in the top panel and select "Edit
Menus" to open the default menu editor. Navigate down to "Sound &
Video" in the left pane and click on it to show all those
applications in the pane to the right. Scroll down the list of
applications displayed until you see "VLC media player", right-click
on it, then click on "Properties" in the context menu to open
"Launcher Properties" and change the launch command from "wxvlc %F" to:

vlc --volume 512 %m

or to have DVD playback automatically launch in fullscreen:

vlc --volume 512 --fullscreen %m

Close the VLC properties dialog and exit the menu editor.

Note: Remember to enable deinterlacing in VLC > Video > Deinterlace
if you see any artifacts during playback, or if playback doesn't
work correctly (the same is true with some AVI files also). To exit
and enter fullscreen in VLC, just press the "f" key.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Alan Milnes

Phil Sexton wrote:
> gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list

Does anybody still use the gksudo command? If so why? Doesn't sudo
work fine with graphical programs now?

Alan

Old 06-20-2008, 02:33 AM
Phil Sexton

Alan Milnes wrote:
> Phil Sexton wrote:
>> gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list
>>
> Does anybody still use the gksudo command? If so why? Doesn't sudo
> work fine with graphical programs now?

I haven't tried any graphical programs with sudo. I usually use
nano for my command line text editor, ie:

sudo nano /etc/gnome/defaults.list

Old 06-20-2008, 04:12 AM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

Thank you this helped a great deal. I should have looked at the forums
first. As for my laptop's wifi problem I found MadWifi on SourceForge
for the Atheros AR5007EG and I tried to follow the instructions given
but I got errors when trying to built the drivers.

I did "make clean" to begin and then did "make" and the rest of the
instructions that came with the drives but I received errors during the
building process. I'm still trying to figure this out.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:15 AM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

Phil Sexton wrote:
> I haven't tried any graphical programs with sudo. I usually use
> nano for my command line text editor, ie:
>
> sudo nano /etc/gnome/defaults.list
Just plain "sudo" works just find for graphical programs.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:32 AM
"Owen Townend"

On 20/06/2008, Phil Sexton <philsexton@skybest.com> wrote:
> Alan Milnes wrote:
> > Phil Sexton wrote:
> >> gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list
> >>
> > Does anybody still use the gksudo command? If so why? Doesn't sudo
> > work fine with graphical programs now?
>

> I haven't tried any graphical programs with sudo. I usually use
> nano for my command line text editor, ie:
>
> sudo nano /etc/gnome/defaults.list

Hey,
Why not `sudoedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list`?
You can set your choice using the EDITOR environmental variable or
add a line to /etc/sudoers.
For pure expediancy s-u-d-o-e<tab> is easier than specifying an
editor explicitly as in your example of `sudo nano`.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 AM
David Curtis