Old 05-11-2008, 12:00 AM
James Takac

Default hardy and synaptic prob

Hi Guys

I just did a distribution upgrade on one of my pc's from gutsy to hardy and
all seemed to be fine until I tried to start synaptic package manager. I
can't seem to get it going at all either from the menu or via terminal typing

gksu synaptic

if I type synaptic on its own it runs but I can't install anything. Is this
likely a messed up permissions problem?

James

Old 05-11-2008, 12:23 AM
James Takac

Hi Guys

A slight update on this as well. Also tried using apt-get, e.g.

sudo apt-get install webhttrack

and got the following error

sudo: unable to resolve host p3nn-desktop

James

I just did a distribution upgrade on one of my pc's from gutsy to hardy and
all seemed to be fine until I tried to start synaptic package manager. I
can't seem to get it going at all either from the menu or via terminal typing

gksu synaptic

if I type synaptic on its own it runs but I can't install anything. Is this
likely a messed up permissions problem?

James

The fault of others is easily noticed, but that of oneself is difficult to
perceive. A man winnows his neighbor's faults like chaff, but his own fault
he hides, as a cheat hides the false die from the gambler.

Dharmapada

Old 05-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Daniel Mons

James Takac wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> A slight update on this as well. Also tried using apt-get, e.g.
>
> sudo apt-get install webhttrack
>
> and got the following error
>
> sudo: unable to resolve host p3nn-desktop

That sounds like a DNS client error on your machine.

Check to make sure that your /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to a DNS
server you can access, and that your /etc/apt/sources.list contains
locations you can access properly (trying pinging them, or bringing them
up in a web browser).

-Dan

Old 05-11-2008, 12:58 AM
NoOp

On 05/10/2008 05:23 PM, James Takac wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> A slight update on this as well. Also tried using apt-get, e.g.
>
> sudo apt-get install webhttrack
>
> and got the following error
>
> sudo: unable to resolve host p3nn-desktop
>
> James

Modify your /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost p3nn-desktop
127.0.1.1 p3nn-desktop

You may find that su is still working, if so, use that to modify:

su
blah
# nano /etc/hosts

Old 05-11-2008, 02:16 AM
James Takac

On Sunday 11 May 2008 10:58:38 NoOp wrote:
> On 05/10/2008 05:23 PM, James Takac wrote:
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > A slight update on this as well. Also tried using apt-get, e.g.
> >
> > sudo apt-get install webhttrack
> >
> > and got the following error
> >
> > sudo: unable to resolve host p3nn-desktop
> >
> > James
>
> Modify your /etc/hosts file:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost p3nn-desktop
> 127.0.1.1 p3nn-desktop
>
> You may find that su is still working, if so, use that to modify:
>
> su
> blah
> # nano /etc/hosts

Hi NoOp

I managed to get it working by taking the extention re my network name off the
2nd line. Have since also implemented the change you suggest in the 1st

thx
James

PS
interestingly one could still set a root password b4 the changes LOL