-   -   HTML mail - a gentle reminder (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/85677-html-mail-gentle-reminder.html)

Nils Kassube 05-10-2008 09:41 PM

HTML mail - a gentle reminder

R Kimber wrote:
> On Sat, 10 May 2008 20:52:05 +0100
>
> John K Masters wrote:
> > Can we all please observe the mailing list etiquette guidelines and,
> > amongst other things, refrain from posting in HTML. To quote from the
> > official guidelines:-
>
> Well, yes. But a good email client can cope with this.

I will not use another email client just to read pure HTML messages
without markup. But it isn't difficult to ignore them :)

Nils

Pastor JW 05-10-2008 11:19 PM

HTML mail - a gentle reminder

On Saturday 10 May 2008 02:41:28 pm Nils Kassube wrote:
> R Kimber wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 May 2008 20:52:05 +0100
> >
> > John K Masters wrote:
> > > Can we all please observe the mailing list etiquette guidelines and,
> > > amongst other things, refrain from posting in HTML. To quote from the
> > > official guidelines:-
> >
> > Well, yes. But a good email client can cope with this.
>
> I will not use another email client just to read pure HTML messages
> without markup. But it isn't difficult to ignore them :)

My mail can deal with HTML but I set it to not automatically open. It brings
up this message when it encouters HTML:

Note: This is an HTML message. For security reasons, only the raw HTML code is
shown. If you trust the sender of this message then you can activate
formatted HTML display for this message by clicking here.

Well, I never "click here", I just hit delete. Problem solved!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Nagy Péter 05-12-2008 07:58 AM

HTML mail - a gentle reminder

Well, yes. But a good email client can cope with this. On the other
hand, not snipping is a real pain. Bottom posting a one line reply to
a long message is my bete noir.

- Richard.

Hi,

My 2 cents:

It's not just about e-mail clients. It's about the archive of the mailing lists. HTML mail could (not certainly do, but could) mess up the archive. Also if a list is defined as plain text mailing list then please accept/follow this request or do not use the list. Simply.

--

NP

R Kimber 05-12-2008 08:20 AM

HTML mail - a gentle reminder

On Mon, 12 May 2008 09:58:05 +0200
Nagy Péter wrote:

> archive. Also if a list is defined as plain text mailing list then
> please accept/follow this request or do not use the list. Simply.

I never use html.

--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Nik 05-12-2008 08:52 AM

HTML mail - a gentle reminder

In article <20080510220455.6803c055@infinity.localnet>,
R Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 May 2008 20:52:05 +0100
> John K Masters wrote:

> > Can we all please observe the mailing list etiquette guidelines and,
> > amongst other things, refrain from posting in HTML. To quote from the
> > official guidelines:-

> Well, yes. But a good email client can cope with this.

You seem to have missed the point that html emails are at best three times
larger than plain text messages, for no benefit.

Nik

--
"welcome to the blood red crimson sky of another imperial day"

"Cybe R. Wizard" 05-12-2008 11:21 AM

HTML mail - a gentle reminder

Nagy Péter <antronin@gmail.com> said:
> Hi,
>
> My 2 cents:
> It's not just about e-mail clients. It's about the archive of the
> mailing lists. HTML mail could (not certainly do, but could) mess up
> the archive. Also if a list is defined as plain text mailing list then
> please accept/follow this request or do not use the list. Simply.

Er, you sent your message as HTML.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.