Old 05-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Anthony Gardner

Default Hardy: Ubuntu images and Brasero

This is just to document my experience doing a fresh install of 8.04

After using an image I had downloaded in April, I proceeded to install .... only for it to crash due to a file error.

First lesson, do a check for defects on the CD before attempting an install from* CD. It will save a lot of stress.

Secondly, I then downloaded the latest image and it was less than 700MB but when trying to burn using Brasero, it was saying that the image was too big for the CD. Even though I had selected the correct size within Brasero.

After more stress and trying to find smaller images I then, in the end, just chose the alternate disc. Brasero still wouldn't accept the 695 saying it was still too large for 700 CD.

In the end, just as a last resort, I tried CD/DVD Creator and it worked!!

Just a few tips .... use CD/DVD Creator and check the
CD for defects before commencing.

-Ants

*

Disclaimer: Technically, I'm always wrong!!

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:25 PM
John K Masters

On 18:06 Sat 10 May , Anthony Gardner wrote:
> Secondly, I then downloaded the latest image and it was less than 700MB but
> when trying to burn using Brasero, it was saying that the image was too big for
> the CD. Even though I had selected the correct size within Brasero.
>
> After more stress and trying to find smaller images I then, in the end, just
> chose the alternate disc. Brasero still wouldn't accept the 695 saying it was
> still too large for 700 CD.

I have tried Brasero 3 or 4 times and it has never burnt a CD or DVD
image successfully, which is why I have gone back to Gnomebaker. Over
the years I must have burnt more than 100 .iso images and several other
types of disk and cannot recall more than about 2 failures.

Regards, John
--
I wish I was young enough to know everything.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 PM
"Shawn McCuan"

[...]

Did you check the MD5 sum for the *.iso? We're you sure to burn the *.iso as an image instead of data? Perhaps you have a bad set of CD-R's - try a different batch if they are available to you. Are you sure you have 700MB CD's and not 650MB's?

--
Shawn McCuan
smccuan@gmail.com

Support a national popular vote in the US!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com

Old 05-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Anthony Gardner

yes, am sure on all counts.... and CD is fine as I used the same CD to write the good image..

Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 PM
NoOp

On 05/10/2008 11:06 AM, Anthony Gardner wrote:
> This is just to document my experience doing a fresh install of 8.04
>
> After using an image I had downloaded in April, I proceeded to install .... only
> for it to crash due to a file error.
>
> First lesson, do a check for defects on the CD before attempting an install
> from CD. It will save a lot of stress.
>
> Secondly, I then downloaded the latest image and it was less than 700MB but when
> trying to burn using Brasero, it was saying that the image was too big for the
> CD. Even though I had selected the correct size within Brasero.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/baltix/+source/brasero/+bug/199561

That said, I am burning the liveCD using Brasero (0.7.1) as I type this.
I received no such error. Brought up Brasero, selected "Burn Image",
pointed it to the iso (Path), told it that it was an iso (Image Type),
and off it went.

And, in the time that it took me to write this, Brasero burned the iso,
and the freshly burned iso is booting on a test machine right now.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Anthony Gardner

will try the checksum fix at a later date.

thx for following this up.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 PM
NoOp

On 05/12/2008 07:28 AM, Anthony Gardner wrote:
> will try the checksum fix at a later date.
>
> thx for following this up.

Note that I didn't make any modifications as suggested in that bug
report. However I did not let Brasero select the type for me, and
instead I selected 'iso' at the 'Image Type'. Maybe you and the folks in
the bug report left the 'Image Type' at "Let brasero choose (safest)"
rather than selecting ISO? If so, then maybe that's the problem? Don't
know as I don't burn CD's that often & most of the time I use k3b or
just right click on the iso from Nautilus and tell it to burn directly.