Old 05-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Ron Schwartz

Default Really New to Ubuntu

I'm am trying to try out ubuntu to see if I like it and am having bunches of problems.* I want to try the version that allows me to run it from a CD/DVD without having to install it on my PC.* I first downloaded the version 8.04 desktop ISO.* The instructions say to burn it to a 700 MB CD.* The problem is that the file is larger than 700 MB, so it won't fit.* I performed the procedure for verifying the download and it is fine.* I burned the ISO to a DVD (+RW), but it didn't burn correctly as all I get is the unexpanded file on the DVD.* Do I need to burn it to a DVD +R instead?
*
I am in the process of downloading the Alternate desktop version as it is a little smaller file.* At this point, I'm not sure I'm downloading the right file at all.* It seems to me the only choice I have is to download a version that installs on my PC and I don't want to do that just yet.
*
Where do I go from here?
*
Ron Schwartz--

Old 05-10-2008, 04:41 PM
"Shawn McCuan"

What burning software are you using? You need to burn the *.iso as an image file, and then it will fit on the CD

-Shawn

Old 05-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Phil Sexton

Ron Schwartz wrote:
> I'm am trying to try out ubuntu to see if I like it and am having
> bunches of problems. I want to try the version that allows me to run it
> from a CD/DVD without having to install it on my PC. I first downloaded
> the version 8.04 desktop ISO. The instructions say to burn it to a 700
> MB CD. The problem is that the file is larger than 700 MB, so it won't
> fit. I performed the procedure for verifying the download and it is
> fine. I burned the ISO to a DVD (+RW), but it didn't burn correctly as
> all I get is the unexpanded file on the DVD. Do I need to burn it to a
> DVD +R instead?
>
> I am in the process of downloading the Alternate desktop version as it
> is a little smaller file. At this point, I'm not sure I'm downloading
> the right file at all. It seems to me the only choice I have is to
> download a version that installs on my PC and I don't want to do that
> just yet.
>
> Where do I go from here?
>
> Ron Schwartz

Apparently you burnt the iso file as a data CD.

See this:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto>

--
Phil Sexton: http://www.myspace.com/philsexton
Praise Whistlers Abroad: http://praisewhistlers.org/

Old 05-10-2008, 04:49 PM
"Shawn McCuan"

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Phil Sexton <philsexton@skybest.com> wrote:

Ron Schwartz wrote:

> I'm am trying to try out ubuntu to see if I like it and am having

> bunches of problems. *I want to try the version that allows me to run it

> from a CD/DVD without having to install it on my PC. *I first downloaded

> the version 8.04 desktop ISO. *The instructions say to burn it to a 700

> MB CD. *The problem is that the file is larger than 700 MB, so it won't

> fit. *I performed the procedure for verifying the download and it is

> fine. *I burned the ISO to a DVD (+RW), but it didn't burn correctly as

> all I get is the unexpanded file on the DVD. *Do I need to burn it to a

> DVD +R instead?

> I am in the process of downloading the Alternate desktop version as it

> is a little smaller file. *At this point, I'm not sure I'm downloading

> the right file at all. *It seems to me the only choice I have is to

> download a version that installs on my PC and I don't want to do that

> just yet.

> Where do I go from here?

> Ron Schwartz

Apparently you burnt the iso file as a data CD.

See this:

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto>

--

Phil Sexton: http://www.myspace.com/philsexton

Praise Whistlers Abroad: http://praisewhistlers.org/

Naomi's Fancy: http://www.naomisfancy.net/

Naomi's Fancy myspace: http://www.myspace.com/naomisfancy/

The Old Bush: http://www.cdbaby.com/naomisfancy/

Crossing Borders: http://cdbaby.com/cd/naomisfancy2

Naomi's Fancy Free tunes:

http://www.naomisfancy.net/modules.php?name=Downloads

This was the link I was looking for to send to him, but - you beat me to it
--
Shawn McCuan
smccuan@gmail.com

Support a national popular vote in the US!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact
http://www.nationalpopularvote.com

Old 05-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Ron Schwartz