Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Tom Bamford

Default e-Sword and Wine

Willis wrote:
> I am attempting to run e-Sword and I have it installed through Wine. I
> am running an AMD Duron @ b1.3 gig with 1 gig of SD Memory. The splash
> screen comes up and the program frames appear but no text in any frame.
> Anybody have an idea to fix it?

I have got the latest version of e-Sword to work by downloading
riched20.dll (from dll-files.com) into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
and adding a DLL override for e-Sword.exe to use riched20.dll using the
winecfg utility.

Regards,
Tom

Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Willis

Tom Bamford wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to run e-Sword and I have it installed through Wine. I
>> am running an AMD Duron @ b1.3 gig with 1 gig of SD Memory. The splash
>> screen comes up and the program frames appear but no text in any frame.
>> Anybody have an idea to fix it?
>>

> I have got the latest version of e-Sword to work by downloading
> riched20.dll (from dll-files.com) into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
> and adding a DLL override for e-Sword.exe to use riched20.dll using the
> winecfg utility.
>
> Regards,
> Tom

Thanks Tom, I have downloaded, unzipped the file and placed it in my
storage directory. I cannot, however, find the location you directed me
to as I cannot find ~/.wine in my file system.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 PM
anthony baldwin

Willis wrote:
> Tom Bamford wrote:
>
>> Willis wrote:
>>

>>> I am attempting to run e-Sword and I have it installed through Wine. I
>>> am running an AMD Duron @ b1.3 gig with 1 gig of SD Memory. The splash
>>> screen comes up and the program frames appear but no text in any frame.
>>> Anybody have an idea to fix it?
>>>

>> I have got the latest version of e-Sword to work by downloading
>> riched20.dll (from dll-files.com) into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
>> and adding a DLL override for e-Sword.exe to use riched20.dll using the
>> winecfg utility.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tom
>>

> Thanks Tom, I have downloaded, unzipped the file and placed it in my
> storage directory. I cannot, however, find the location you directed me
> to as I cannot find ~/.wine in my file system.

Why didn't you just use gnome-sword or bibletime?
Heck, there's a ubuntu based Christian distro that comes with
them all pre-fabbed right in. (and a verse o' the day karamba,
and fishy wallpapers and stuff).
www.ichthux.com

/tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting

Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Willis

anthony baldwin wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>
>> Tom Bamford wrote:

>>> I have got the latest version of e-Sword to work by downloading
>>> riched20.dll (from dll-files.com) into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
>>> and adding a DLL override for e-Sword.exe to use riched20.dll using the
>>> winecfg utility.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Tom
>>>

>> Thanks Tom, I have downloaded, unzipped the file and placed it in my
>> storage directory. I cannot, however, find the location you directed me
>> to as I cannot find ~/.wine in my file system.
>>

> Why didn't you just use gnome-sword or bibletime?
> Heck, there's a ubuntu based Christian distro that comes with
> them all pre-fabbed right in. (and a verse o' the day karamba,
> and fishy wallpapers and stuff).
> www.ichthux.com
>
> /tony

I have tem and find them lacking in many areas.,

Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Tom Bamford

Willis wrote:

I have tem and find them lacking in many areas.,

I find e-Sword to be a superior app in many ways, but I will use
GnomeSword for quick reading and reference, it runs nice and fast on my
machine.

~/.wine refers to a .wine directory in your Home directory. It will be
hidden by default, press Ctrl+H in Nautilus to reveal your dotfiles.

Regards,

Tom

Old 11-29-2007, 11:43 PM
James Takac

On Friday 30 November 2007 08:18:56 anthony baldwin wrote:
> Willis wrote:
> > Tom Bamford wrote:
> >>
> >> I have got the latest version of e-Sword to work by downloading
> >> riched20.dll (from dll-files.com) into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
> >> and adding a DLL override for e-Sword.exe to use riched20.dll using the
> >> winecfg utility.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Tom
> >
> > Thanks Tom, I have downloaded, unzipped the file and placed it in my
> > storage directory. I cannot, however, find the location you directed me
> > to as I cannot find ~/.wine in my file system.
>
> Why didn't you just use gnome-sword or bibletime?
> Heck, there's a ubuntu based Christian distro that comes with
> them all pre-fabbed right in. (and a verse o' the day karamba,
> and fishy wallpapers and stuff).
> www.ichthux.com
>
> /tony
>
> --
> http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
> Translation & Interpreting

Hi Anthony

I've used the alternatives and alas they just don't come close for
functionality as it were. esword imho is much better when working

James

Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 AM
James Takac

On Friday 30 November 2007 04:43:55 Willis wrote:
> I am attempting to run e-Sword and I have it installed through Wine. I
> am running an AMD Duron @ b1.3 gig with 1 gig of SD Memory. The splash
> screen comes up and the program frames appear but no text in any frame.
> Anybody have an idea to fix it?

Hi Willis

You could try

http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/linuxforchristians/2007/03/e-sword-for-ubuntu.html

James

Old 12-01-2007, 09:48 AM
"James Takac"

On Nov 30, 2007 11:34 AM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday 30 November 2007 04:43:55 Willis wrote:
> I am attempting to run e-Sword and I have it installed through Wine. *I
> am running an AMD Duron @ b1.3 gig with 1 gig of SD Memory. *The splash

> screen comes up and the program frames appear but no text in any frame.
> Anybody have an idea to fix it?

Hi Willis

You could try

http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/linuxforchristians/2007/03/e-sword-for-ubuntu.html

James

Hi Willis

That above link does the job quite nicely.* Only thing is the need to alt tab a few times during the install of esword. Apart from that, does a good job

James

Old 12-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Willis

James Takac wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2007 11:34 AM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com
> <mailto3nndrag0n@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On Friday 30 November 2007 04:43:55 Willis wrote:
> > I am attempting to run e-Sword and I have it installed through
> Wine. I
> > am running an AMD Duron @ b1.3 gig with 1 gig of SD Memory. The
> splash
> > screen comes up and the program frames appear but no text in any
> frame.
> > Anybody have an idea to fix it?
>
> Hi Willis
>
> You could try
>
> http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/linuxforchristians/2007/03/e-sword-for-ubuntu.html
>
> James
>

> Hi Willis
>
> That above link does the job quite nicely. Only thing is the need to
> alt tab a few times during the install of esword. Apart from that,
> does a good job
>
> James
Thank you James, as soon as I learn how to uninstall the e-Sword in Wine
I'll try this.

the precise meanings of all the possible
placeholders is documented?

(For example, it seems that %x must mean "get the current width of the
screen".)

Doc

Old 12-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Willis