Old 05-10-2008, 02:51 PM
elmo

Default Change colors of bootup menu in 8.04

I have some greatgrandkids who want to run their game CDs in Windows
when they visit and I don't want them to boot UBUNTU so I edit
menu.lst to rearrange the order of listing the operating systems to
put Wndows XP at the beginning of the bootup menu and so it will
autoboot in just a few seconds.

I also like to display a more colorful bootup menu so I edit the color
entry in menu.lst.
It's necessary to perform a save operation to make sure all the changes
are made in menu.lst

I've been doing this since earlier versions of UBUNTU. and now that I
have 8.04 installed, I'd like to have the same features in the bootup
menu but I'm not able to change to colors. However, rearranging the
order of listing is OK but no matter what color combination I choose for
"color................" in menu.lst, the bootup menu appears in black
and white.

I don't know if this is something different in 8.04 or if I'm doing
something wrong..

Can someone show me how I can get a more colorful bootup menu?

display autoboot Windows XP in just a few seconds because I have some
greatgrandkids who want to run their game CDs in Windows when they visit
and I don't want them to boot UBUNTU. I also

I also like to have colorful boot menu.
I've been able to maintain this in every UBUNTU I've used until now when
I installed 8.04. For some, when
I edit 'color' in menu.lst, it seems to have no effect. The boot menu
is just black and white.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:56 PM
elmo

I apologize for the double entry.

elmo

Old 05-10-2008, 06:31 PM
"Alan Milnes"

On 10/05/2008, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:
> I have some greatgrandkids who want to run their game CDs in Windows
> when they visit and I don't want them to boot UBUNTU so I edit
> menu.lst to rearrange the order of listing the operating systems to
> put Wndows XP at the beginning of the bootup menu and so it will
> autoboot in just a few seconds.

It's easier just change the number of the default option to be Windows
rather than mucking about changing the order of things.

Alan

Old 05-10-2008, 08:12 PM
elmo

Alan Milnes wrote:
> On 10/05/2008, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I have some greatgrandkids who want to run their game CDs in Windows
>> when they visit and I don't want them to boot UBUNTU so I edit
>> menu.lst to rearrange the order of listing the operating systems to
>> put Wndows XP at the beginning of the bootup menu and so it will
>> autoboot in just a few seconds.
>>

> It's easier just change the number of the default option to be Windows
> rather than mucking about changing the order of things.
>
> Alan

I have no problem with setting the bootmenu order, it's the colors of
the bootup menu that I want to change.....I had no problem in setting
the colors in the earlier versions of ubuntu......I couldn't change the
colors after I installed 8.04.

elmo

Old 05-10-2008, 08:24 PM
NoOp

On 05/10/2008 01:12 PM, elmo wrote:

> I have no problem with setting the bootmenu order, it's the colors of
> the bootup menu that I want to change.....I had no problem in setting
> the colors in the earlier versions of ubuntu......I couldn't change the
> colors after I installed 8.04.
>
> elmo

Post what you changed (Pretty colours I assume) & I'll be happy to try
on one of my machines.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:00 PM
"Alan Milnes"

On 10/05/2008, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:
> I have no problem with setting the bootmenu order

I just don't understand why you would want to do that ...

Can't help with the colours I'm afraid.

Alan

Old 05-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Nils Kassube

elmo wrote:
> I have no problem with setting the bootmenu order, it's the colors of
> the bootup menu that I want to change.....I had no problem in setting
> the colors in the earlier versions of ubuntu......I couldn't change the
> colors after I installed 8.04.

Do you have a splash image installed (background for the boot menu)? Look
for a line starting with "splashimage". I think you can't have your own
colors with a splash image.

Nils

Old 05-11-2008, 12:03 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 23:36 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> elmo wrote:
> > I have no problem with setting the bootmenu order, it's the colors of
> > the bootup menu that I want to change.....I had no problem in setting
> > the colors in the earlier versions of ubuntu......I couldn't change the
> > colors after I installed 8.04.
>
> Do you have a splash image installed (background for the boot menu)? Look
> for a line starting with "splashimage". I think you can't have your own
> colors with a splash image.
>

> Nils

How about installing "Startupmanager" with
System/Administration/Synaptic !?

Good luck and cheers, svobi