Old 05-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Ted Hilts

Default Hibernation woes -- follow up

Derek Broughton wrote:

Ted Hilts wrote:

Here are the results of the "free" command. Somehow I missed your email
requesting the results of the "free" command.

There wasn't a request about "free", but I was trying to find out what sort
of swap you had, and whether you have a "resume" option in the grub boot
options. That doesn't matter now, because "free" makes the problem clear.

My email shows 3 threads
under the primary thread so I may have accidentally read your request
incompletely thinking it was a resend. I apologize! Thanks for your
tolerance.

ted@Ubuntu:~$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2596008 1453768 1142240 0 268616 510000
-/+ buffers/cache: 675152 1920856
Swap: 854272 500192 354080
ted@Ubuntu:~$

The above is with 5 desktops with at least 1 very big application and a
dozen small applications and including VNC.

So you need a bigger swap partition (or perhaps just an extra one - I'm not
sure if hibernate can handle split partitions).

You have ~1.4GB of memory in use, and ~0.8GB of total swap space. Some
compression occurs, and probably some memory that is known to be
discardable will be left out of swap altogether, but there's still no
chance that you can cram the memory being used for all that into your swap.

You've probably been misled by suggestions on the web that if you have so
much real memory, you don't need a large swap space. And for normal
operation, that's true, because if you have more physical memory than you
ever use you won't use swap. But since hibernation essentially works by
swapping out everything that's currently running, you need _at the very
least_ as much swap space as you have physical memory.

Derek Broughton
news@pointerstop.ca

Thanks for identifying the solution to my problem.* I stayed quiet
until you were finished with the others and I was trying to figure out
a way to deal with my situation (too little swap). I have included
directly below a lot of system information followed by the question
"Also, if I can use this tar backup on /media/sdc1 what would be the
command lines to prepare Ubuntu on /media/sdc1???????????". If you
choose to help me you will have to wade through this information. The
overall idea is not to scrap the present dual boot Ubuntu/XP
installation but rather to create a clone Ubuntu of the present one on
the same machine and with maximum swamp. Please read on if you can
spare the time to help me. If this turns out to be complex my response
time might be one or two days while I try to get my head around the
issues.* Thanks.

I have freed up one of 5 hard drives (approx. 250 GB) on the dual boot
Ubuntu/XP system.

I did the following backup on Ubuntu:

sudo -s -H;cd /;tar -cvzf /media/sdd1/backup-Fri02May2008.tgz
--exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found
--exclude=/media/sdd1/backup-Fri02May2008.tgz --exclude=/mnt
--exclude=/media/cdrom --exclude=/media/cdrom0 --exclude=/media/floppy
--exclude=/media/floppy0 --exclude=/media/sda1 --exclude=/media/sda2
--exclude=/media/sdb1 --exclude=/media/sdc1 --exclude=/media/sdd1
--exclude=/media/sde1 --exclude=/media/sdf1 --exclude=/media/sdg1
--exclude=/media --exclude=/Mted-cic2ext --exclude=/Mted-CICERO
--exclude=/Mted-CICERO-D --exclude=/Mted-CICERO-F
--exclude=/Mted-market --exclude=/Mted-molly --exclude=/sys /

One of my questions -- given the above backup -- is: Can I use this
empty hard drive to install my present Ubuntu using the backup?* Ubuntu
on this dual boot system is on the XP C drive or from Ubuntu's
perspective the SDA3 drive with SDA1 and SDA2 for the XP.* Here is the
mount info:

ted@Ubuntu:~$ free

************ total****** used****** free**** shared*** buffers****
cached

Mem:****** 2596008*** 1453768*** 1142240********* 0**** 268616****
510000

-/+ buffers/cache:**** 675152*** 1920856

Swap:****** 854272**** 500192**** 354080

ted@Ubuntu:~$

ted@Ubuntu:~$ mount

/dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)

proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)

varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)

udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)

devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)

/dev/sda1 on /media/sda1 type vfat (rw,utf8,umask=007,gid=46)

/dev/sda2 on /media/sda2 type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permi ssions,blksize=4096)

/dev/sdb1 on /media/sdb1 type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permi ssions,blksize=4096)

/dev/sdc1 on /media/sdc1 type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permi ssions,blksize=4096)

/dev/sdd1 on /media/sdd1 type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permi ssions,blksize=4096)

/dev/sde1 on /media/sde1 type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permi ssions,blksize=4096)

/dev/sdf1 on /media/sdf1 type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permi ssions,blksize=4096)

/dev/sdg1 on /media/sdg1 type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permi ssions,blksize=4096)

securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)

none on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw)

capifs on /dev/capi type capifs (rw,mode=0666)

nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)

//CICERO/D on /Mted-CICERO-D type smbfs (rw)

ted@Ubuntu:~$

So the hard drive I would prepare would be: /media/sdc1

Another question: Would there be a boot problem because using this hard
drive as I understand (from away back in time) the boot system and the
active hard drive would be on SDA (or from the perspective of XP, the C
drive.)* I am not sure how grub would handle this situation (3 instead
of 2 boot systems with one on a currently "none active" hard drive.*

Here is my /etc/fstab:

ted@Ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab

#

proc*********** /proc********** proc*** defaults******* 0****** 0

# /dev/sda3

UUID=c8f92b8f-2f46-4500-929b-ccf369500593 /************** ext3***
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0****** 1

# /dev/sda1

UUID=2ED6-1123* /media/sda1**** vfat*** defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46
0****** 1

# /dev/sda2

UUID=58BCBB80BCBB56EA /media/sda2**** ntfs*** defaults,umask=007,gid=46
0****** 1

# /dev/sdb1

UUID=E83698FB3698CC46 /media/sdb1**** ntfs*** defaults,umask=007,gid=46
0****** 1

# /dev/sdc1

UUID=581CE03A1CE01532 /media/sdc1**** ntfs*** defaults,umask=007,gid=46
0****** 1

# /dev/sdd1

UUID=2018EC4E18EC248E /media/sdd1**** ntfs*** defaults,umask=007,gid=46
0****** 1

# /dev/sde1

UUID=3698FF2798FEE3F1 /media/sde1**** ntfs*** defaults,umask=007,gid=46
0****** 1

#UUID=3698FF2798FEE3F1 /media/sde1**** ntfs***
defaults,gid=ted,uid=ted,umask=007 0 1

# /dev/sdf1

UUID=8868FAEC68FAD7C0 /media/sdf1**** ntfs*** defaults,umask=007,gid=46
0****** 1

# /dev/sdg1

UUID=D02C35002C34E360 /media/sdg1**** ntfs*** defaults,umask=007,gid=46
0****** 1

# /dev/sda4

UUID=891e4299-a126-4f0a-9b2c-b772bb91a47c none*********** swap***
sw************* 0****** 0

/dev/scd0****** /media/cdrom0** udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0****** 0

/dev/fd0******* /media/floppy0* auto*** rw,user,noauto,exec 0****** 0

ted@Ubuntu:~$

Also, if I can use this tar backup on /media/sdc1 what would be the
command lines to prepare Ubuntu on /media/sdc1???????????

Thanks, Ted.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Derek Broughton

Ted: Note that all of what follows is really only a good idea if you can't
get NoOp's idea of a swap _file_ to work. I think that's probably the best
method.

Ted Hilts wrote:

> I have freed up one of 5 hard drives (approx. 250 GB) on the dual boot
> Ubuntu/XP system.
>
> I did the following backup on Ubuntu:
> sudo -s -H;cd /;tar -cvzf /media/sdd1/backup-Fri02May2008.tgz
> --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found
> --exclude=/media/sdd1/backup-Fri02May2008.tgz --exclude=/mnt
> --exclude=/media/cdrom --exclude=/media/cdrom0 --exclude=/media/floppy
> --exclude=/media/floppy0 --exclude=/media/sda1 --exclude=/media/sda2
> --exclude=/media/sdb1 --exclude=/media/sdc1 --exclude=/media/sdd1
> --exclude=/media/sde1 --exclude=/media/sdf1 --exclude=/media/sdg1
> --exclude=/media --exclude=/Mted-cic2ext --exclude=/Mted-CICERO
> --exclude=/Mted-CICERO-D --exclude=/Mted-CICERO-F --exclude=/Mted-market
> --exclude=/Mted-molly --exclude=/sys /
>
> One of my questions -- given the above backup -- is: Can I use this
> empty hard drive to install my present Ubuntu using the backup?

I guess - at least you don't seem to have excluded anything you
shouldn't :-)

> So the hard drive I would prepare would be: /media/sdc1
>
> Another question: Would there be a boot problem because using this hard
> drive as I understand (from away back in time) the boot system and the
> active hard drive would be on SDA (or from the perspective of XP, the C
> drive.) I am not sure how grub would handle this situation (3 instead of
> 2 boot systems with one on a currently "none active" hard drive.

There'd be some concerns. Grub doesn't care about the concept of "active"
drives, so you should just be able to add an option to
your /boot/grub/menu.lst to boot to (hd2,0). You essentially copy the boot
stanza for the current partition, and change all references for (hd0,2)
(that is, /dev/sda3) to (hd2,0) (which is /dev/sdc1). Do this _before_
copying all the files, because eventually you'll want to run grub-install
off the new partition, to get the new menu.lst file.

> Here is my /etc/fstab:
> ted@Ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
>
> Also, if I can use this tar backup on /media/sdc1 what would be the
> command lines to prepare Ubuntu on /media/sdc1???????????

Just change the /boot/grub/menu.lst as described above, copy the files (you
don't _have_ to use the tar method - you could copy them directly), then
try to boot to the new partition. If it works, then run "sudo
grub-install /dev/sda" from the new partition (this will make sure that
when you later delete the old partition, you won't lose the ability to
boot, because it's looking for the menu.lst file on that partition).
--
derek