Old 05-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Chris G

Default Reminder/PIM application with compact "next 7 days" view?

I'm looking for a Calendar/Reminder/PIM application which has a
compact (as in small window) view showing the next 7 days or so.
This is so that I can have it permanently on screen on *all* my
multiple desktop windows along with the clock and the pager.

I *don't* want a current week view, that's pretty useless when you get

to Friday/Saturday. It can be very simple indeed with just a short
line of text (e.g. "Tue 4th - Dentist" or "Thu 19th - PAYE") for each
item, when I want to see details and enter new items I'll bring up the
full application.

I currently use ReminderFox in Firefox which works OK'ish but I only

get its reminders on the desktop where I'm running Firefox and the
reminders appear as a 'slider' and then disappear. I'm really after
something which has a list of current reminders permanently on screen.

Most Calendar/PIM apps are characterised for a business user by being
oriented to a display of Monday-Friday and allowing lots of happenings
each day. I want a reminder that just tells me the two or three
things that I have to be aware of in the next seven or ten days.

Can anyone suggest anything that might suit me?

--
Chris Green

Old 05-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Clayton

> I'm looking for a Calendar/Reminder/PIM application which has a
> compact (as in small window) view showing the next 7 days or so.
> This is so that I can have it permanently on screen on *all* my
> multiple desktop windows along with the clock and the pager.

Have you looked at Gnome Desklets or KDE SuperKaramba? There are a
few different calendars and ToDo list desktop widgets that might do
what you want... I think there is one that plugs into your Google
Calendar and shows your schedule on the desktop... can't find it at
the moment though.

C.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Chris G

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:17:04AM +0200, Clayton wrote:
> > I'm looking for a Calendar/Reminder/PIM application which has a
> > compact (as in small window) view showing the next 7 days or so.
> > This is so that I can have it permanently on screen on *all* my
> > multiple desktop windows along with the clock and the pager.
>

> Have you looked at Gnome Desklets or KDE SuperKaramba? There are a
> few different calendars and ToDo list desktop widgets that might do
> what you want... I think there is one that plugs into your Google
> Calendar and shows your schedule on the desktop... can't find it at
> the moment though.

There's a "possible" in Gnome Desklets but I can't find anything that
tells me how to install it on a non-Gnome desktop (I have lots of
Gnome applications and all the Gnome libraries but I use fvwm2 as my
window manager).

Isn't Google Calendar tied to my browser?

--
Chris Green

Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Karl Auer

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 10:44 +0100, Chris G wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:17:04AM +0200, Clayton wrote:
> > > I'm looking for a Calendar/Reminder/PIM application which has a
> There's a "possible" in Gnome Desklets but I can't find anything that
> tells me how to install it on a non-Gnome desktop (I have lots of

Dunno about using it with KDE, but the GNOME calendar applet is pretty
close to what you want. Normally it shows the data and time; one click
and a compact one-month display appears showing days with appointments
or meetings in bold type. A single click on a day shows that day's
entries (short descriptions).

It is, however, integrated with Evolution's calendar, which is a pretty
heavy-duty back end :-)

Regards, K.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:13 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/10 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:
> I'm looking for a Calendar/Reminder/PIM application which has a
> compact (as in small window) view showing the next 7 days or so.
> This is so that I can have it permanently on screen on *all* my
> multiple desktop windows along with the clock and the pager.
>
> I *don't* want a current week view, that's pretty useless when you get
>
> to Friday/Saturday. It can be very simple indeed with just a short
> line of text (e.g. "Tue 4th - Dentist" or "Thu 19th - PAYE") for each
> item, when I want to see details and enter new items I'll bring up the
> full application.
>
> I currently use ReminderFox in Firefox which works OK'ish but I only
>
> get its reminders on the desktop where I'm running Firefox and the
> reminders appear as a 'slider' and then disappear. I'm really after
> something which has a list of current reminders permanently on screen.
>
> Most Calendar/PIM apps are characterised for a business user by being
> oriented to a display of Monday-Friday and allowing lots of happenings
> each day. I want a reminder that just tells me the two or three
> things that I have to be aware of in the next seven or ten days.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything that might suit me?

If it doesn't have to be on your desktop, then know that my Nokia 6288
does this. It has the advantage of being with me always, which the
desktop does not. Also, it can be synced with KDE-PIM on the desktop.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Chris G

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 08:02:08PM +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> > There's a "possible" in Gnome Desklets but I can't find anything that
> > tells me how to install it on a non-Gnome desktop (I have lots of
>
> Dunno about using it with KDE, but the GNOME calendar applet is pretty
> close to what you want. Normally it shows the data and time; one click
> and a compact one-month display appears showing days with appointments
> or meetings in bold type. A single click on a day shows that day's
> entries (short descriptions).

Not quite what I want because I'd like it to show the next few day's
appointments all the time, not just when I click on it. I know myself
too well, I'll forget to click on it! :-)

> It is, however, integrated with Evolution's calendar, which is a pretty
> heavy-duty back end :-)

My system is fast enough and modern enough to handle almost anything
as a back end without really noticing, it's the visible interface that
matters to me.

--
Chris Green

Old 05-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Chris G

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 03:13:04PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/5/10 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:
> > I'm looking for a Calendar/Reminder/PIM application which has a
> > compact (as in small window) view showing the next 7 days or so.
> > This is so that I can have it permanently on screen on *all* my
> > multiple desktop windows along with the clock and the pager.
> >
> > I *don't* want a current week view, that's pretty useless when you get
> >
> > to Friday/Saturday. It can be very simple indeed with just a short
> > line of text (e.g. "Tue 4th - Dentist" or "Thu 19th - PAYE") for each
> > item, when I want to see details and enter new items I'll bring up the
> > full application.
> >
> > I currently use ReminderFox in Firefox which works OK'ish but I only
> >
> > get its reminders on the desktop where I'm running Firefox and the
> > reminders appear as a 'slider' and then disappear. I'm really after
> > something which has a list of current reminders permanently on screen.
> >
> > Most Calendar/PIM apps are characterised for a business user by being
> > oriented to a display of Monday-Friday and allowing lots of happenings
> > each day. I want a reminder that just tells me the two or three
> > things that I have to be aware of in the next seven or ten days.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest anything that might suit me?
> >

> If it doesn't have to be on your desktop, then know that my Nokia 6288
> does this. It has the advantage of being with me always, which the
> desktop does not. Also, it can be synced with KDE-PIM on the desktop.

If that's a mobile phone (or PDA) it won't help me, I do have a mobile
phone but it's very rarely turned on, its only use is for emergency
calls etc. I'm regularly at either my home desktop or my work
desktop, if I'm at neither then it's odds on I'm up at the end of the
garden (9 acres, no mobile coverage) or on my 'bike or on my horse,
none of which are coducive to using a mobile phone! :-)

--
Chris Green

Old 05-10-2008, 02:01 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/10 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:
> If that's a mobile phone (or PDA) it won't help me, I do have a mobile
> phone but it's very rarely turned on, its only use is for emergency
> calls etc. I'm regularly at either my home desktop or my work
> desktop, if I'm at neither then it's odds on I'm up at the end of the
> garden (9 acres, no mobile coverage) or on my 'bike or on my horse,
> none of which are coducive to using a mobile phone! :-)

You might be able to script something for Supercaramba or KDE 4 easily
enough in python and sqlite. Recurring events would add a layer of
complexity to it, but nothing too difficult.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 02:20:53PM +0100, Chris G wrote:

> Not quite what I want because I'd like it to show the next few day's
> appointments all the time, not just when I click on it. I know
> myself too well, I'll forget to click on it! :-)

I don't guess anyone has mentioned 'remind',
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/remind.

The beauty of remind is how flexible it is. Of course flexibility has
a price, and there is some learning curve. But its default output is
plain text, where it can easily be man handled into any other output format
desirable: gui pop ups (eg via gmessage), text message to cell phone,
input to html based calendars, rss feeds, print on the xroot window
with root-tail, or whatever other format you have the time and
inclination to do with it. Combined with cron, it is quite powerful,
light weight and portable.

I use it with cron to populate a html calendar that runs on my local
Ubuntu system here, where Apache serves it as password protected to anybody
anywhere in the world that has a browser and my password ;-) And it can
send me 'reminders' via cron+email for really important events.

$ dpkg -l remind

Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
uppercase=bad)

Old 05-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Chris G

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:10:57AM -0400, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 02:20:53PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> > >
> > Not quite what I want because I'd like it to show the next few day's
> > appointments all the time, not just when I click on it. I know
> > myself too well, I'll forget to click on it! :-)
>
> I don't guess anyone has mentioned 'remind',
> http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/remind.

Yes, I know about 'remind', but I don't think it offers what I want,
at least not without quite a lot of work.

> The beauty of remind is how flexible it is. Of course flexibility has
> a price, and there is some learning curve. But its default output is
> plain text, where it can easily be man handled into any other output format
> desirable: gui pop ups (eg via gmessage), text message to cell phone,
> input to html based calendars, rss feeds, print on the xroot window
> with root-tail, or whatever other format you have the time and
> inclination to do with it. Combined with cron, it is quite powerful,
> light weight and portable.

But what does its "default output" contain? That's the first hurdle
to overcome, can it be set up so that it shows the next few days
events only?

> I use it with cron to populate a html calendar that runs on my local
> Ubuntu system here, where Apache serves it as password protected to anybody
> anywhere in the world that has a browser and my password ;-) And it can
> send me 'reminders' via cron+email for really important events.

Which is just what I'm trying to get away from - I don't want a
calendar like display and I don't want to be tied to my browser to
look at it.

I *may* end up having to use remind, it can probably provide the basis
of what I want, but my requirements are so trivially simple (and, I
would have thought useful to lots of people) that it surprises me that
there isn't something more "off the shelf".

--
Chris Green