Old 05-10-2008, 12:11 AM
scott

Default How to adjust kernel parameters

Old 05-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 05-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 20:11 -0400, scott wrote:

> What I want to know is how do I tweak my kernel parameters manually.
>
> In other words, when you compile a kernel, you get the whole kernel
> structure to change options.
>
> How do I do this with my existing kernel?

I'm not sure what you are asking. You can either

* Pass arguments to your existing kernel on boot (through the grub
command line), or pass them to modules when they load:
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
* You can change some settings of your existing kernel at runtime
through /sys and /proc/sys (I didn't find useful online docs for
that right now)
* You can recompile your kernel and change lots of things (but
then it is not your "existing" kernel anymore)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

Old 05-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Karl Larsen

scott wrote:

Hi Scott your PGP signature is the long one and not necessary. You can
see the one I use and it is just one line. Look in your registration
stuff from MIT.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-10-2008, 12:16 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Scott, please do no hijack threads. If you want to start a new thread,
do not reply to another email. Even if you change the subject, the
headers still reference the old thread. That means that people not
following the old thread will not see your message. And people that
are following the old thread will see your message jammed in where it
does not belong.

Instead, start a new mail (NOT a reply) and address it to the list. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.