Old 05-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Pastor JW

Default I need some advice on BIG external storage units

On Friday 09 May 2008 02:17:45 pm Tom Rausner wrote:
> fre, 09 05 2008 kl. 14:08 -0700, skrev Steve Lamb:
> > I'd say stay away from USB or, at best, be very cautious of it. I
> > got an external USB drive, only 120Gb, and figured it would be a nice
> > place to store all of my low-turnover, high-space files (OGG/FLAC of my
> > CDs for example). Hooked it up to my Debian box, got it formatted for
> > ext3 and then found out that if it is not in constant use it spins down.
> > Once spun down it would not reactivate prior to Linux timing out on the
> > operation. Pretty worthless if I can only read/write to it within
> > minutes of plugging it in.
>
> Ok...!? Didn't know that fact..

It is odd, a friend of mine has a drive which works fine with his Ubuntu USB
in one enclosure but not at all in the other one. They are, to the eye
anyway, identical same brand enclosures and the USB cable is the same one but
one will not work (actually it works like described above) and the other
works like one would expect.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Tom Rausner wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
> question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
> with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
> Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?
>
> Tom Rausner
> tom@tomtech.dk

About 18 months ago I put 250gb Buffalo external storage units into my
customers' stores. These have a Hitachi drive in them IIRC and are both
USB 2 + ethernet connectable. I imagine they have a 1 TB model, or
bigger, by now. Regardless of the mfg, I'd go with one that has an
ethernet 192.168.x.x addressable device 'cos then it won't matter what
O/S you're hooked up to.
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

John K Masters wrote:
> On 22:43 Fri 09 May , Tom Rausner wrote:
>> Hi !
>>
>> I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
>> question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
>> with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
>> Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?
>>
>> Tom Rausner
>> tom@tomtech.dk
>>
> I've just bought a 1TB Buffalo Linkstation and am finding it excellent.
> It's controlled by a minimal Debian system running Samba & CUPS for file
> & print sharing, has 2 USB ports to connect more storage or printers and
> worked out of the box when I plugged it into my home LAN.
>
> If you don't need/want networking then really just about anything will
> do but I would tend to stick with the big names like Western Digital,
> Maxtor etc.
>
> But I really recommend the Linkstation.
>
> Regards, John

I 2nd the recommendation for Linkstation. I don't have the 1TB but my
experience for the last 18 months with dozens of the 250gb models is good.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Chris G

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 04:02:10PM -0700, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> Tom Rausner wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
> > question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
> > with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
> > Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?
> >
> > Tom Rausner
> > tom@tomtech.dk
>
> About 18 months ago I put 250gb Buffalo external storage units into my
> customers' stores. These have a Hitachi drive in them IIRC and are both
> USB 2 + ethernet connectable. I imagine they have a 1 TB model, or
> bigger, by now. Regardless of the mfg, I'd go with one that has an
> ethernet 192.168.x.x addressable device 'cos then it won't matter what
> O/S you're hooked up to.

Even that can cause problems, my Freecom drive insists on being a DHCP
server by default!

--
Chris Green

Old 05-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Karl Larsen

Chris G wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 04:02:10PM -0700, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>
>> Tom Rausner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
>>> question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
>>> with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
>>> Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?
>>>
>>> Tom Rausner
>>> tom@tomtech.dk
>>>
>> About 18 months ago I put 250gb Buffalo external storage units into my
>> customers' stores. These have a Hitachi drive in them IIRC and are both
>> USB 2 + ethernet connectable. I imagine they have a 1 TB model, or
>> bigger, by now. Regardless of the mfg, I'd go with one that has an
>> ethernet 192.168.x.x addressable device 'cos then it won't matter what
>> O/S you're hooked up to.
>>

> Even that can cause problems, my Freecom drive insists on being a DHCP
> server by default!

I have lost the thread on this subject. What does an IP number have
to do with a hard drive? Why would a Freecom hd be a DHCP server?

A hard drive is a hardware box that connects to a computer via a
known method. In most computers it now is a SATA connection but many are
still using IDE.

Where can I learn about the big hard drives?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Tom Rausner

fre, 09 05 2008 kl. 23:59 +0200, skrev Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]:

> Not a problem with mine....
> BTW: I normally format them NTFS, that generally works with every system
> I've thrown them at, while ext3 or other *nix/*nux filesystems aren't
> recognized by Windoze...

Thanx Peter. For a moment I thoughed my USB-idea was shoot down..

Tom

Old 05-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Tom Rausner

fre, 09 05 2008 kl. 15:44 -0700, skrev Pastor JW:

> It is odd, a friend of mine has a drive which works fine with his Ubuntu USB
> in one enclosure but not at all in the other one. They are, to the eye
> anyway, identical same brand enclosures and the USB cable is the same one but
> one will not work (actually it works like described above) and the other
> works like one would expect.

The ghost in the machine...

Tom

Old 05-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Tom Rausner

fre, 09 05 2008 kl. 16:02 -0700, skrev Steven Davies-Morris:

> About 18 months ago I put 250gb Buffalo external storage units into my
> customers' stores. These have a Hitachi drive in them IIRC and are both
> USB 2 + ethernet connectable. I imagine they have a 1 TB model, or
> bigger, by now. Regardless of the mfg, I'd go with one that has an
> ethernet 192.168.x.x addressable device 'cos then it won't matter what
> O/S you're hooked up to.

Good point !

Tom

Old 05-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Tom Rausner

fre, 09 05 2008 kl. 16:06 -0700, skrev Steven Davies-Morris:

> I 2nd the recommendation for Linkstation. I don't have the 1TB but my
> experience for the last 18 months with dozens of the 250gb models is good.

Thank you. I'll have that brand in mind.

Tom

Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Tom Rausner

lÝr, 10 05 2008 kl. 06:15 -0600, skrev Karl Larsen:

> I have lost the thread on this subject. What does an IP number have
> to do with a hard drive? Why would a Freecom hd be a DHCP server?
>
> A hard drive is a hardware box that connects to a computer via a
> known method. In most computers it now is a SATA connection but many are
> still using IDE.

I started by talking about BIG storage units, not only harddisks.

Tom.