Old 05-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Darryl Tidd

Default dual monitors

Hi all,
I have searched the internet and cannot find a resolution to my issue of
resolution. Just hoping someone here may be able to point me in the
right direction.
I am running Ubuntu 7.10 on Dell Dimension 5150, ati Radeon X1300, using
proprietary ati driver. One screen is a Dell SE198WFP, resolution
1440x900. The other screen is Samsun SyncMaster 204t, native resolution
1600x1200. My question is: Is there a way to use one screen dedicated
to one program? Example: Run VMplayer on Screen 2 constantly, and
switch between various desktops and other Ubuntu programs on screen 1.

Thanks
Darryl

Old 05-09-2008, 10:26 PM

On 9/5/2008, "Darryl Tidd" <darryl.tidd@daaokc.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have searched the internet and cannot find a resolution to my issue of
>resolution. Just hoping someone here may be able to point me in the
>right direction.
>I am running Ubuntu 7.10 on Dell Dimension 5150, ati Radeon X1300, using
>proprietary ati driver. One screen is a Dell SE198WFP, resolution
>1440x900. The other screen is Samsun SyncMaster 204t, native resolution
>1600x1200. My question is: Is there a way to use one screen dedicated
>to one program? Example: Run VMplayer on Screen 2 constantly, and
>switch between various desktops and other Ubuntu programs on screen 1.
>
>Thanks
>Darryl

It used to be
xinerama =1
or xinerama =0
so yes to your question but I have no idea what happens now.
xorg.conf doesn't seem to have anything in it .
regards

michael crane

Old 05-10-2008, 12:44 PM
michael crane

Darryl Tidd wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have searched the internet and cannot find a resolution to my issue of
> resolution. Just hoping someone here may be able to point me in the
> right direction.
> I am running Ubuntu 7.10 on Dell Dimension 5150, ati Radeon X1300, using
> proprietary ati driver. One screen is a Dell SE198WFP, resolution
> 1440x900. The other screen is Samsun SyncMaster 204t, native resolution
> 1600x1200. My question is: Is there a way to use one screen dedicated
> to one program? Example: Run VMplayer on Screen 2 constantly, and
> switch between various desktops and other Ubuntu programs on screen 1.
>
> Thanks
> Darryl

sorry mediators I replied to this by webmail and did not realize that
that ISP changes the domain.

I think I said that it used to be
xinerama="yes"
or xinerama="no"

in xorg.conf
but xorg.conf seems a bit empty now.

regards

michael crane

Old 05-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Adam D

Darryl Tidd wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have searched the internet and cannot find a resolution to my issue of
> resolution. Just hoping someone here may be able to point me in the
> right direction.
> I am running Ubuntu 7.10 on Dell Dimension 5150, ati Radeon X1300, using
> proprietary ati driver. One screen is a Dell SE198WFP, resolution
> 1440x900. The other screen is Samsun SyncMaster 204t, native resolution
> 1600x1200. My question is: Is there a way to use one screen dedicated
> to one program? Example: Run VMplayer on Screen 2 constantly, and
> switch between various desktops and other Ubuntu programs on screen 1.
>
> Thanks
> Darryl

Were you able to figure out the answer to your question? I am looking
for the same answer such as having dual monitors linked together while
one monitor switch virtual desktops on the fly (cube rotation) while
keeping the other monitor stationary on the same desktop without rotating.

If you were successful in receiving help regarding your question I sure
would love to see how you were able to set 'X' or compiz. I am guessing
it would be more related to compiz than 'X' because once setting X for
multiple displays linked together, the rest would be taken care through
the window and or desktop manager.

-Adam

Old 05-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Chris McCormick

Hi all,

I have two monitors working in clone mode, but how do I set them so they each have a different desktop that I can move windows onto?

Cheers,

Chris.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Carlos Solis

Chris McCormick <chris@...> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have two monitors working in clone mode, but how do I set them so they each
have a different desktop that I can
> move windows onto?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris.
>
> -------------------
> http://mccormick.cx

Hi Cris, I found that arandr can help you to setup dual monitors. Still trying
to work around some small issues like brightness.
Best regards

Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 AM
Chris McCormick

Hi,

Cheers Carlos, this looks good but it won't let me have completely separate workspaces on each monitor - there is always some overlapping region in which windows appear on both monitors at the same time. I am thinking this might be due to my buggy graphics driver (Radeon X1200 Series) in the latest version of Ubuntu.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it got me a lot further!

Cheers,

Chris.