Old 05-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Tom Rausner

Default I need some advice on BIG external storage units

Hi !

I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?

Tom Rausner
tom@tomtech.dk

Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Chris G

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:43:30PM +0200, Tom Rausner wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
> question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
> with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
> Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?

What interface?

If the drive is going to be connected by USB then you can almost
certainly re-format it it EXT3 and it will work like any other mounted
drive. I have done exactly this with a Freecom external drive and it
works very well.

On the other hand if you are attaching the drive via an ethernet
interface then it's odds on you will have to use Samba to acces the
drive and it will be formatted FAT32. This was the case with my
Freecom drive when I used it via ethernet. In this case there are
some issues because of the limitations of FAT32 and also because of
the limitations of the Samba implementation in the NAS box.

--
Chris Green

Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 PM
John K Masters

On 22:43 Fri 09 May , Tom Rausner wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
> question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
> with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
> Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?
>
> Tom Rausner
> tom@tomtech.dk

I've just bought a 1TB Buffalo Linkstation and am finding it excellent.
It's controlled by a minimal Debian system running Samba & CUPS for file
& print sharing, has 2 USB ports to connect more storage or printers and
worked out of the box when I plugged it into my home LAN.

If you don't need/want networking then really just about anything will
do but I would tend to stick with the big names like Western Digital,
Maxtor etc.

But I really recommend the Linkstation.

Regards, John
--
I wish I was young enough to know everything.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Tom Rausner

fre, 09 05 2008 kl. 21:54 +0100, skrev Chris G:

> What interface?

My original idea was USB, and it looks like a good choice, from your
answer.

Thanks Chris.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
"Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]"

Tom Rausner skrev:
> Hi !
>
> I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
> question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
> with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
> Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?
>
> Tom Rausner
> tom@tomtech.dk

All the USB add-on's I have (500GB, 320GB and 2x250GB) work fine whether
you plug them into a Windoze or a Linux machine (even tried one with a
Mac once - also OK). One of my friends has a Firewire external, for
which the same is true. So never fear, but go for the limit....

--
Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
email: peter(no-spam-filler)@frenning.dk
http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
Ph. +45 4619 3239
Snailmail:
Peter Frenning
Ternevej 23
DK-4130 Viby Sj.
Denmark

Old 05-09-2008, 09:05 PM
"Steve Lamb"

On Fri, May 9, 2008 1:43 pm, Tom Rausner wrote:
> I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
> question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
> with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
> Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?

What purpose are you putting it to and what kind of setting? I mean
when someone talks about "BIG" external storage my mind instantly hops
to NetApp <http://www.netapp.com/>. However, that is clearly an
enterprise-wide level solution and requires a DC to mount the head and
drive units.

--
Steve Lamb

Old 05-09-2008, 09:05 PM
John K Masters

On 21:54 Fri 09 May , Chris G wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:43:30PM +0200, Tom Rausner wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
> > question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
> > with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
> > Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?
> >
> What interface?
>
> If the drive is going to be connected by USB then you can almost
> certainly re-format it it EXT3 and it will work like any other mounted
> drive. I have done exactly this with a Freecom external drive and it
> works very well.
>
> On the other hand if you are attaching the drive via an ethernet
> interface then it's odds on you will have to use Samba to acces the
> drive and it will be formatted FAT32. This was the case with my
> Freecom drive when I used it via ethernet. In this case there are
> some issues because of the limitations of FAT32 and also because of
> the limitations of the Samba implementation in the NAS box.

All Buffalo Linkstations are formatted XFS. The option is provided to
reformat to ext3 or FAT32.

Regards, John (PS I do not work for and have no connection with Buffalo)
--
I wish I was young enough to know everything.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:08 PM
"Steve Lamb"

On Fri, May 9, 2008 2:01 pm, Tom Rausner wrote:
> fre, 09 05 2008 kl. 21:54 +0100, skrev Chris G:

>> What interface?

> My original idea was USB, and it looks like a good choice, from your
> answer.

I'd say stay away from USB or, at best, be very cautious of it. I got
an external USB drive, only 120Gb, and figured it would be a nice place
to store all of my low-turnover, high-space files (OGG/FLAC of my CDs
for example). Hooked it up to my Debian box, got it formatted for ext3
and then found out that if it is not in constant use it spins down.
Once spun down it would not reactivate prior to Linux timing out on the
operation. Pretty worthless if I can only read/write to it within
minutes of plugging it in.

--
Steve Lamb

Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Chris G

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:05:52PM +0100, John K Masters wrote:
> On 21:54 Fri 09 May , Chris G wrote:
> > On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:43:30PM +0200, Tom Rausner wrote:
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > I'm going to by myself a BIG (1 TB, maby 2..) external storage. The
> > > question is; what to by ? A lot of them are pointed at geting used
> > > with Windows and that might be a problem (internal software etc.).
> > > Are there some ones amongst you guys, having some experiences to share ?
> > >
> > What interface?
> >
> > If the drive is going to be connected by USB then you can almost
> > certainly re-format it it EXT3 and it will work like any other mounted
> > drive. I have done exactly this with a Freecom external drive and it
> > works very well.
> >
> > On the other hand if you are attaching the drive via an ethernet
> > interface then it's odds on you will have to use Samba to acces the
> > drive and it will be formatted FAT32. This was the case with my
> > Freecom drive when I used it via ethernet. In this case there are
> > some issues because of the limitations of FAT32 and also because of
> > the limitations of the Samba implementation in the NAS box.
> >

> All Buffalo Linkstations are formatted XFS. The option is provided to
> reformat to ext3 or FAT32.
>
> Regards, John (PS I do not work for and have no connection with Buffalo)

That avoids the FAT32 limitations if you're using Ethernet but you
still have the issue of having to use Samba to access the drive and
any limitations of the NAS box Samba implementation.

I believe *some* external drives provide NFS as well as Samba which is
something worth looking for maybe.

--
Chris Green

Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Tom Rausner

fre, 09 05 2008 kl. 22:01 +0100, skrev John K Masters:

> If you don't need/want networking then really just about anything will
> do but I would tend to stick with the big names like Western Digital,
> Maxtor etc.
>
> But I really recommend the Linkstation.

Thanks John.

Tom.