Old 05-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Tenant

Default Debian or Ubuntu?

I've been lurking on the list for a while, but haven't posted before.
We're looking at upgrading our co-lo web server which is now running
Debian Sarge. Some people we know have suggested we take a look at
Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Is there anywhere a balanced
overview of the pros and cons of using Debian or Ubuntu? In the same
vein are there any views on just upgrading to Etch or jumping in with Lenny?

I'd appreciate any URLs or your own thoughts. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 12:32 -0400, Kitchen wrote:
> Is there anywhere a balanced
> overview of the pros and cons of using Debian or Ubuntu?

My $0.02: Debian releases rarely, but the releases are very well tested
and very stable. Ubuntu releases more often and has less test coverage.
For a server, use Debian, unless you want to use Canonical's Landscape
tool (the status of which I do not know) which, however, looks like
overkill for a small installation.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:42 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/9 Kitchen <kitchen@hellskitchen.net>:
> I've been lurking on the list for a while, but haven't posted before.
> We're looking at upgrading our co-lo web server which is now running
> Debian Sarge. Some people we know have suggested we take a look at
> Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Is there anywhere a balanced
> overview of the pros and cons of using Debian or Ubuntu?
>
> I'd appreciate any URLs or your own thoughts. Thanks.

Easy to use: Ubuntu
Rock solid stable and fanatical OSS dedication: Debian

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Mike Bird

On Fri May 9 2008 09:32:53 Kitchen wrote:
> I've been lurking on the list for a while, but haven't posted before.
> We're looking at upgrading our co-lo web server which is now running
> Debian Sarge. Some people we know have suggested we take a look at
> Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Is there anywhere a balanced
> overview of the pros and cons of using Debian or Ubuntu?
>
> I'd appreciate any URLs or your own thoughts. Thanks.

If Debian Stable runs on your hardware and provides the software
versions that you need then use it. It is by far the best quality
and your colleagues on debian-users are much more likely than those
on ubuntu-users to give an accurate answer rather than a wild and
often inaccurate guess. However Debian Stable releases are rare
and they are usually sadly out of date.

In recent years we have used only Debian Stable on servers.

Otherwise you can choose between Debian Testing, Debian Unstable,
Debian Stable+Backports, a mixture of the above, or Ubuntu Stable.
(I wouldn't recommend pre-release versions of Ubuntu for anything
except beta testing.) Generally these Debian versions involve more
work due to the large volume of updates. Ubuntu Stable on the
other hand has something of a history of nasty update problems,
and the support on this list is not the same quality as on
debian-users. Ubuntu is quirky but usually supports a wider range
of hardware than Debian. Ubuntu installation is easier than
Debian providing the way you want to configure your system matches
the way that Ubuntu wants to configure your system.

In recent years we used Ubuntu on workstations, then switched to
a mix of Debian Testing and Debian Unstable. We're just starting
on yet another re-evaluation against Debian Stable+Backports and
Ubuntu. For workstations there are many acceptable solutions but
no great solutions as yet.

--Mike Bird

Old 05-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Mike Bird

On Fri May 9 2008 09:30:43 Tenant wrote:
> I've been lurking on the list for a while, but haven't posted before.
> We're looking at upgrading our co-lo web server which is now running
> Debian Sarge. Some people we know have suggested we take a look at
> Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Is there anywhere a balanced
> overview of the pros and cons of using Debian or Ubuntu? In the same
> vein are there any views on just upgrading to Etch or jumping in with
> Lenny?
>
> I'd appreciate any URLs or your own thoughts. Thanks.

If Debian Stable runs on your hardware and provides the software
versions that you need then use it. *It is by far the best quality
and your colleagues on debian-users are much more likely than those
on ubuntu-users to give an accurate answer rather than a wild and
often inaccurate guess. *However Debian Stable releases are rare
and they are usually sadly out of date.

In recent years we have used only Debian Stable on servers.

Otherwise you can choose between Debian Testing, Debian Unstable,
Debian Stable+Backports, a mixture of the above, or Ubuntu Stable.
(I wouldn't recommend pre-release versions of Ubuntu for anything
except beta testing.) *Generally these Debian versions involve more
work due to the large volume of updates. *Ubuntu Stable on the
other hand has something of a history of nasty update problems,
and the support on ubuntu-users is not the same quality as on

Old 05-09-2008, 05:59 PM
"Steve Lamb"

On Fri, May 9, 2008 9:30 am, Tenant wrote:
> We're looking at upgrading our co-lo web server which is now running
> Debian Sarge. Some people we know have suggested we take a look at
> Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Is there anywhere a balanced
> overview of the pros and cons of using Debian or Ubuntu? In the same
> vein are there any views on just upgrading to Etch or jumping in with Lenny?

For Colo work I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu. Ubuntu's track record for
upgrades between releases is spotty. Most times the recommended
procedure is a reinstall. While that is tolerable (note, not ideal) for
workstations thanks to Microsoft's training of the IT world it is
utterly unacceptable for servers. That goes double for servers you most
likely have no physical access to.

Debian's release schedule is glacial, granted, but a part of that is the
effort that goes into ensuring that upgrading from one release to the
next won't break in unexpected ways. Some things will break in upgrades
because of version incompatibilities on specific applications, but
generally the whole system won't go belly up because of an upgrade.

Because of that proven track record of dedication to smooth upgrades
going back 10 years I would not recommend anything but Debian for colo
machines. It is all that I have used on my colo machines in spite of my
love/hate relationship with Debian on the desktop and subsequent
dabbling with Ubuntu on the desktop.

--
Steve Lamb

Old 05-09-2008, 06:24 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/9 Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net>:
> If Debian Stable runs on your hardware and provides the software
> versions that you need then use it. It is by far the best quality
> and your colleagues on debian-users are much more likely than those
> on ubuntu-users to give an accurate answer rather than a wild and
> often inaccurate guess. However Debian Stable releases are rare
> and they are usually sadly out of date.

This is very, very true. Especially the part about the mailing lists.
I joined the Debian list because the Ubuntu list was so childish. That
naturally got me to installing Debian. I still install Ubuntu for new
Linux users, though.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-09-2008, 06:56 PM
"H.S."

Mike Bird wrote:

I've been lurking on the list for a while, but haven't posted before.
We're looking at upgrading our co-lo web server which is now running
Debian Sarge. Some people we know have suggested we take a look at
Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Is there anywhere a balanced
overview of the pros and cons of using Debian or Ubuntu? In the same
vein are there any views on just upgrading to Etch or jumping in with
Lenny?

I'd appreciate any URLs or your own thoughts. Thanks.

If Debian Stable runs on your hardware and provides the software
versions that you need then use it. It is by far the best quality
and your colleagues on debian-users are much more likely than those
on ubuntu-users to give an accurate answer rather than a wild and
often inaccurate guess. However Debian Stable releases are rare

Yes, I quite agree that Debian's mailing lists are very useful, full of
knowledgeable people and quite good at giving accurate help as compared
to Ubuntu lists.

In my experience, Ubuntu turns out to be more "friendly" and "gui rich"
in workstations though --- as perceived by an average user.