Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Jonathan Hirschman

Default Is USB over ethernet possible

Chris G wrote:
> Going on from that recent question about ethernet over USB is the
> opposite possible?

Try typing "usb over ethernet linux" into Google. Let us know what you
find out.

kthnx,

jh

Old 05-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Marc

Jonathan Hirschman schreef:
> Chris G wrote:
>
>> Going on from that recent question about ethernet over USB is the
>> opposite possible?
>>

> Try typing "usb over ethernet linux" into Google. Let us know what you
> find out.
>
> kthnx,
>
> jh

I have a litlle box. It says "3COM USB/ethernet adapter". It works out
of the box, no drivers needed. Used it on 100Mhz PC with xubuntu and no
eth card.. (but usb ports)

Marc
>> I.e. I have two Linux boxes networked and one has a USB device that I
>> would like to be able to see as a USB device from the other Liux box.
>> Can that be done?

Shortwave transmissions in English, Francais, Nederlands, Deutsch, Suid-Afrikaans, Chinese, Dansk, Urdu, Cantonese, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese, ...
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/swlist/ Updated every month or so ....

Old 05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Jonathan Hirschman

Marc wrote:
> Jonathan Hirschman schreef:
>
>> Chris G wrote:
>>

>>> Going on from that recent question about ethernet over USB is the
>>> opposite possible?
>>>

> I have a litlle box. It says "3COM USB/ethernet adapter". It works out
> of the box, no drivers needed. Used it on 100Mhz PC with xubuntu and no
> eth card.. (but usb ports)
>
> Marc

Try reading the original poster's question again, but slowly. He's not
asking what you're answering.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:09 PM
John K Masters

On 15:48 Fri 09 May , Chris G wrote:
> Going on from that recent question about ethernet over USB is the
> opposite possible?
>
> I.e. I have two Linux boxes networked and one has a USB device that I
> would like to be able to see as a USB device from the other Liux box.
> Can that be done?

My Buffalo Linkstation NAS runs a minimal version of Debian and has 2
USB ports for connecting extra storage or a printer. If I connect an
external USB drive it shows up in Nautilus on the network so I guess
that it is possible. As to how to configure I can't help; with the
Linkstation it just works.

Regards, John
--
I wish I was young enough to know everything.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Chris G

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 05:48:52PM +0200, Marc wrote:
> Jonathan Hirschman schreef:
> > Chris G wrote:
> >
> >> Going on from that recent question about ethernet over USB is the
> >> opposite possible?
> >>

> > Try typing "usb over ethernet linux" into Google. Let us know what you
> > find out.
> >
> > kthnx,
> >
> > jh
> >

> I have a litlle box. It says "3COM USB/ethernet adapter". It works out
> of the box, no drivers needed. Used it on 100Mhz PC with xubuntu and no
> eth card.. (but usb ports)

No, that's not what I want to do.

Both my Linux boxes have USB hardware, they are connected by an
Ethernet network. I want to plug a USB device into one system and be
able to see it as a USB device on the other system.

> Marc
> >> I.e. I have two Linux boxes networked and one has a USB device that I
> >> would like to be able to see as a USB device from the other Liux box.
> >> Can that be done?

> Shortwave transmissions in English, Francais, Nederlands, Deutsch, Suid-Afrikaans, Chinese, Dansk, Urdu, Cantonese, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese, ...
> http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/swlist/ Updated every month or so ....

Chris Green

Old 05-09-2008, 04:47 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/9 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:
> Going on from that recent question about ethernet over USB is the
> opposite possible?
>
> I.e. I have two Linux boxes networked and one has a USB device that I
> would like to be able to see as a USB device from the other Liux box.
> Can that be done?

At home I have two Ubuntu machines on a router, each with their own
LAN IP address (DHCP). One has SSH enabled. I can plug a USB device
into that machine, which is automagically mounted in /media/usbstick.
I can then SSH into that machine and browse the USB stick.

Now, as for mounting a USB webcam, I would imagine that it can be done
by mounting the remote /dev/video locally but I've never tried. What
other USB devices did you have in mind?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Chris G

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 07:47:08PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/5/9 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:
> > Going on from that recent question about ethernet over USB is the
> > opposite possible?
> >
> > I.e. I have two Linux boxes networked and one has a USB device that I
> > would like to be able to see as a USB device from the other Liux box.
> > Can that be done?
> >

> At home I have two Ubuntu machines on a router, each with their own
> LAN IP address (DHCP). One has SSH enabled. I can plug a USB device
> into that machine, which is automagically mounted in /media/usbstick.
> I can then SSH into that machine and browse the USB stick.
>
> Now, as for mounting a USB webcam, I would imagine that it can be done
> by mounting the remote /dev/video locally but I've never tried. What
> other USB devices did you have in mind?

I currently have a USB disk drive on a machine in my garage which I
use for backups. Currently I access this as follows:-

It's mounted locally on the garage system.

It's NFS exported from the garage system.

It's NFS mounted on my desktop system.

While this works it's not 100% satisfactory because firstly it's a
*bit* difficult to guarantee that the mount of the USB drive on the
garage system happens automatically when it powers up. Secondly if
the garage system powers down and then up again I get the dreaded
"Stale NFS File Handle" on my desktop system and it's a real pig to
clear that and get the mounts working again.

If I could 'see' the drive on my desktop system as a USB drive then I
could mount it there on an 'as needed' basis (i.e. when the backup
cron job does a backup) and I would need NFS.

I've just had a "lateral thinking" thought, it might be that sshfs
would be more robust than NFS for this sort of use.

--
Chris Green

Old 05-09-2008, 05:24 PM
"Flavio Costa"

SSHFS is not as fast as NFS but I guess it would work on your enviroment since you are not targeting speed.

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 07:47:08PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/5/9 Chris G <cl@isbd.net>:

> > Going on from that recent question about ethernet over USB is the

> > opposite possible?

> > I.e. I have two Linux boxes networked and one has a USB device that I

> > would like to be able to see as a USB device from the other Liux box.

> > Can that be done?

> At home I have two Ubuntu machines on a router, each with their own

> LAN IP address (DHCP). One has SSH enabled. I can plug a USB device

> into that machine, which is automagically mounted in /media/usbstick.

> I can then SSH into that machine and browse the USB stick.

> Now, as for mounting a USB webcam, I would imagine that it can be done

> by mounting the remote /dev/video locally but I've never tried. What

> other USB devices did you have in mind?

I currently have a USB disk drive on a machine in my garage which I

use for backups. *Currently I access this as follows:-

* *It's mounted locally on the garage system.

* *It's NFS exported from the garage system.

* *It's NFS mounted on my desktop system.

While this works it's not 100% satisfactory because firstly it's a

*bit* difficult to guarantee that the mount of the USB drive on the

garage system happens automatically when it powers up. *Secondly if

the garage system powers down and then up again I get the dreaded

"Stale NFS File Handle" on my desktop system and it's a real pig to

clear that and get the mounts working again.

If I could 'see' the drive on my desktop system as a USB drive then I

could mount it there on an 'as needed' basis (i.e. when the backup

cron job does a backup) and I would need NFS.

I've just had a "lateral thinking" thought, it might be that sshfs

would be more robust than NFS for this sort of use.

--

Chris Green

Flvio Coutinho da Costa

Old 05-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Derek Broughton

Chris G wrote:

> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 05:48:52PM +0200, Marc wrote:

>> I have a litlle box. It says "3COM USB/ethernet adapter". It works out
>> of the box, no drivers needed. Used it on 100Mhz PC with xubuntu and no
>> eth card.. (but usb ports)
>>
> No, that's not what I want to do.
>
> Both my Linux boxes have USB hardware, they are connected by an
> Ethernet network. I want to plug a USB device into one system and be
> able to see it as a USB device on the other system.

Strictly speaking, I think what you are asking for is impossible. You can
mount a device on the other system, and may be able to export that device
through various means so that it can be used on the other system, but it
will _never_ appear as a USB device.
--
derek

Old 05-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Jonathan Hirschman

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
>

>> No, that's not what I want to do.
>>
>> Both my Linux boxes have USB hardware, they are connected by an
>> Ethernet network. I want to plug a USB device into one system and be
>> able to see it as a USB device on the other system.
>>

> Strictly speaking, I think what you are asking for is impossible. You can
> mount a device on the other system, and may be able to export that device
> through various means so that it can be used on the other system, but it
> will _never_ appear as a USB device.

Yeah, that would be totally impossible. So many experts on this list.
Again, the correct answer is one google search away:

http://www.usb-server.com/usb-client.html

jh