Old 05-09-2008, 01:29 PM

Default Install problem with 8.04 alternate CD

I gave up istalling 8.04... My 2006 ASUS mobo wasn't recognized by any available
official CD/DVD. Either infinite syslog loop around IDENTIFY sata error, or
busybox prompt without further notice.

It seems that it nonetheless installs with 7.10 ;-)

8.04 needs some more tuning...

Rgds, Chris

Old 05-11-2008, 12:43 AM
NoOp

On 05/09/2008 06:19 AM, Cola wrote:
> I want to install Ubuntu 8.04 on my PC with alternate CD, but got
> problem. At the begning, everything is OK, the alternate CD booted,
> then choose Install from the menu. The system booted. Then choose
> keyboard, detect CD, etc, something like this. Then the problem comes
> when the system said need to enter the hostname. I can't input
> anything with my keyboard, it seems the system hangs. I try several
> times, but got same results. The same problem occurs when I need to
> enter into recover mode. after I choose to enter into the recover
> mode in the grub menu, system can boot. when the system comes out
> with the first dialogue to choose something(I forgot what is it, only
> remember it is the first TXT dialogue), but the keryboard died.
>
> My PC: Jetway A690G, AMD 4200+, 2G Mem, vga is onboard
>
> Anybody has the answer?Thanks

What type of keyboard? USB, wireless, bluetooth, hardwired?

You might try telling it that you are using a standard US International
105 keyboard. Run kbdconfig as root after you have completed the
installation and tell it your actual keyboard.

Try booting with Knoppix and or Ubuntu liveCD to see if your keyboard
works: http://www.knoppix.net/ with those. If they do, then there may be
a bug in the Alternate CD installer.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:49 AM
NoOp

On 05/09/2008 06:29 AM, sani.broyeur@free.fr wrote:
> I gave up istalling 8.04... My 2006 ASUS mobo wasn't recognized by any available
> official CD/DVD. Either infinite syslog loop around IDENTIFY sata error, or
> busybox prompt without further notice.
>
> It seems that it nonetheless installs with 7.10 ;-)
>
> 8.04 needs some more tuning...
>
> Rgds, Chris

And you were provided with some suggestion pointers to related bugs in
the thread that you asked for help regarding your system. Unfortunately
you never responded to those:
<quote>
I wonder if this is similar:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/222176/comments/10
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765195&page=7
</quote>

Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 PM
NoOp

On 05/12/2008 04:34 AM, Cola wrote:
> Hi, NoOp, My keyboard is a usb one (or Ps/2 with USB-PS/2 convertor,
> both can't use). But with 8.04 LiveCD, it's works OK. The keyboard
> model is generic 105-key (Intl) PC. The problem is not only happen in
> alternate CD but also in recovery mode after installed by LiveCD. PC
> starts with normal mode to X is ok.
>
> Another question is: I can't switch to console from X by ctrl+alt+Fn.
> If I use it, then the monitor will complain no input. but can use
> alt+F9 to switch back to X.

Please bottom post - thanks.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but here are a few suggestions -
trying only with usb. They are only guesses, but hopefully one of them
will work - they are not in any particular order:

1. Check your bios settings to see if you have an option for legacy USB
support, if so toggle it to off/on depending on what the setting was
originally.

2. If you have or are using USB ports in the front of the machine, make
sure the keyboard is only connected to one of the back ports. Also try a
different usb port. Some machines have problems & generate noise or
provide a weak signal. This wouldn't be apparent on boot etc., but the
latest kernel(s) have shown problems with noisy/weak usb port/devices.

3. When you do the install from the Alternate CD: disconnect from the
internet before the install. This is really a _wild guess_, but given
that the system freezes when you are at the hostname prompt, maybe the
system is mixing up your usb keyboard with a network device. If you
start the install without any internet connection, the installer will
stop looking and just may get you past that stage.

4. When the installer freezes, disconnect the keyboard, wait a minute or
two, and plug back in. Wait another minute or two and see if the
keyboard is picked back up.

5. When you bring up the Alternate CD - press F6 and then enter:
all_generic_ide noapic nolapic

If you select F1 & then F8 you will see some added parameters - you
can try verbose debugging. I'm not sure what will be the effect if you
try the Don't probe for USB opbtion. F1 & F8 will give you additional info.

6. Borrow a PS/2 only keyboard & see if you can install with that.

Sorry, I can't think of any more just now. Perhaps someone else on the
list will add their suggestions.

> NoOp <glgxg@> ??: On 05/09/2008 06:19 AM, Cola wrote:
>> I want to install Ubuntu 8.04 on my PC with alternate CD, but got
>> problem. At the begning, everything is OK, the alternate CD booted,
>> then choose Install from the menu. The system booted. Then choose
>> keyboard, detect CD, etc, something like this. Then the problem
>> comes when the system said need to enter the hostname. I can't
>> input anything with my keyboard, it seems the system hangs. I try
[snip]