Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Luca Ferrari

Default laptop not shutting down

Hi all,
I've installed a ubuntu 7.1 on a sony vaio VNG-BX196VP, and when I try to
shutdown the laptop, I see the shutdown sequence but the laptop remains
switched on. Is there something I can check to solve the problem?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 05-09-2008, 08:36 AM
"Shawn McCuan"

How much of the shutdown does it get through?

I've installed a ubuntu 7.1 on a sony vaio VNG-BX196VP, and when I try to
shutdown the laptop, I see the shutdown sequence but the laptop remains

switched on. Is there something I can check to solve the problem?

Thanks,
Luca

Shawn McCuan
smccuan@gmail.com

Support a national popular vote in the US!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com

Old 05-09-2008, 12:27 PM
"Dick Dowdell"

I have the same problem with a Sony VIAO PCG-N505VX.* Ubuntu will shut down but the notebook will not automatically power off.

I suspect that my problem is due to the BIOS's ACPI support (or lack there of).

How much of the shutdown does it get through?

I've installed a ubuntu 7.1 on a sony vaio VNG-BX196VP, and when I try to

shutdown the laptop, I see the shutdown sequence but the laptop remains

switched on. Is there something I can check to solve the problem?

Thanks,
Luca

Shawn McCuan
smccuan@gmail.com

Support a national popular vote in the US!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com

Dick Dowdell
508-498-7919/508-528-4018

Old 05-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Karl Larsen

Dick Dowdell wrote:
> I have the same problem with a Sony VIAO PCG-N505VX. Ubuntu will shut down
> but the notebook will not automatically power off.
>
> I suspect that my problem is due to the BIOS's ACPI support (or lack there
> of).
>

> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 4:36 AM, Shawn McCuan <smccuan@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> How much of the shutdown does it get through?
>>

>> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>> I've installed a ubuntu 7.1 on a sony vaio VNG-BX196VP, and when I try to
>>> shutdown the laptop, I see the shutdown sequence but the laptop remains
>>> switched on. Is there something I can check to solve the problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Luca
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Shawn McCuan
>> smccuan@gmail.com
>>
>> Support a national popular vote in the US!
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact
>> http://www.nationalpopularvote.com
>> --

I have a big Sony laptop with winXT and Ubuntu Gutsy working just
great. But the computer is not happy with closing the lid. It goes into
a strange mode I can't get out of either with winXT or Gutsy.

So I have learned to turn off the computer before closing up the
laptop. Takes a minute more but it is fine with me.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Luca Ferrari

On Friday 9 May 2008 Shawn McCuan's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
> How much of the shutdown does it get through?

All. At the end the laptop says that the system is shutted down, the monitor
goes black and the laptop seems power off, but the cooler and the leds are
still power on.

What can I try to solve this? COuld it be a bios problem?

Luca

Old 05-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Luca Ferrari

Any suggestion for this annoying problem?
Thanks,
Luca

Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM
NoOp

On 05/14/2008 02:01 AM, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Any suggestion for this annoying problem?
> Thanks,
> Luca
>
> On Monday 12 May 2008 Luca Ferrari's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
>> On Friday 9 May 2008 Shawn McCuan's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
>> > How much of the shutdown does it get through?
>>
>> All. At the end the laptop says that the system is shutted down, the
>> monitor goes black and the laptop seems power off, but the cooler and the
>> leds are still power on.
>>
>> What can I try to solve this? COuld it be a bios problem?
>>
>> Luca

File a bug, but first:

1. Search the bug list to see if it's already been reported - sample:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=cannot+shut+down&search=Sea rch+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target =>

Example:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/119308
See:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/119308/comments/36>
And filed for hardy:

2. Review these, and gather the proper information to submit with your
report:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProcedures
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingACPI
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingGNOMEPowerManager